PlayStation VR Sales and Numbers Thread

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006

PlayStation VR has sold through 915,000 units worldwide as of February 19, 2017, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced.

“Since its October launch, PS VR continues to be well received by people around the world thanks to the high quality, revolutionary VR experience it offers. With more than 53.4 million PS4 units sold through globally we firmly believe PlayStation VR will take the lead position in the VR market” said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “We are increasing production to meet demand and will continuously support content developers as they create innovative VR experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.”

Currently there are more than 100 PlayStation VR titles released worldwide, and more than 360 developers and publishers ranging from smaller independent teams to top publishers. There are now over 220 upcoming games and content in development for PlayStation VR, including Ace Combat 7, Final Fantasy XV, Steel Combat, Tekken 7, Farpoint, and Gran Turismo Sport. Over 100 new games and experiences are expected to be released by the end of 2017.

PlayStation VR is currently available in 64 countries and regions.
Source

I'm guessing these are good numbers when compared to other VR headsets but it seems pretty low when you consider the number of PS4 units already sold.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Never really thought VR would take off mainstream. Hard to sell something where you have to put something on someone's head to sell it. Trailers and whatever do jack. But those seem like pretty solid numbers for just a few months time.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
915,000 units sold in less than 6 months. It is selling faster than I had expected.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6526673]I'm surprised it didn't get at least a million. The demand for VR experience just isn't big enough.[/QUOTE]

Look at how many games fail to sell 1 million in an entire year. Those are just $60+ each. VR is not cheap and certainly not for everyone. Many people get motion sickness from VR and even regular 3D. The sales are better than I had expected. Especially seeing how easy it is to have VR on your phone for a mere $100.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
I would consider it but haven't seen a single place to try it out. Early on they did the VR experience at Best Buy but haven't seen that since the fall.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6526677]The sales are better than I had expected. Especially seeing how easy it is to have VR on your phone for a mere $100.[/QUOTE]
That's a good point. PS VR is pretty much in the middle range in terms of pricing.

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6526677]Look at how many games fail to sell 1 million in an entire year. Those are just $60+ each. VR is not cheap and certainly not for everyone. Many people get motion sickness from VR and even regular 3D. The sales are better than I had expected. Especially seeing how easy it is to have VR on your phone for a mere $100.[/QUOTE]

Despite the added bells and whistles of Vive (potentially much more powerful machine, room scale VR without blind spots) the pricing seems to be the key with PSVR because the other key factors seem to be content (PSVR has a lot going for it, including some real serious games like RE7) and 6 degrees of freedom. Moblie VR is swivel head based, not 6 degrees, and the content is a bit underwhelming. I mean Vive, Oculus, and PSVR all have turds in their lineups, but they also all have some seriously great content.

6 degrees of freedom changes it all, though. As such, PSVR is the base level 6df VR system, thereby the most popular, and strong titles like RE6 help it along.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Sony is looking at ways to further the commercial appeal of PlayStation VR, after sales of the device have gotten off to a slower than expected start.

The publication claims the format holder has set up a new ‘location-based entertainment’ unit to fuel PSVR’s commercial fortunes, following “slower than expected” sales of Sony’s virtual reality gaming headset. The device launched in October 2016 alongside a series of titles such as Batman: Arkham VR and DriveClub VR.

Reportedly, Sony wishes to install PSVR at various new locations such as theme parks and arcades, with the main focus for the time being positioned at the Japanese market. Interestingly, claims of slow sales don’t mesh well with what we’ve previously heard from Sony itself, with Andrew House stating earlier this year that the device was on track to hit one million sales this month.

“You literally have people lining up outside stores when they know stock is being replenished,” said House.“It’s the classic case in any organization — the guys who are on the front end in sales are getting very excited, very hyped up. You have to temper that with other voices inside the company, myself among them, saying let’s just be a little bit careful.”

As part of Sony’s push for the device, the PlayStation console maker confirmed a slew of new PSVR games in development from Chinese companies.

Resident Evil 7 remains one of the most popular games for Sony’s virtual reality headset, holding some impressive stats following its launch in January for PS4, PC, and Xbox One. PSVR has also recently been improved with the release of various hardware updates, among which enhanced the device’s cinematic mode and adult entertainment viewing.
Source

I haven't heard of any new games announced for Sony's VR headset so I can understand sales being slow. Nintendo did also release the Switch last month which probably shifted consumer interest.

Let's hope they give their VR headset decent enough attention at E3.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6527826]Wait this thing hasn't it a million in sales? Is it because of stock shortages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Not as many care about it as they thought. Me included. It hink its a fad like 3D was.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6527826]Wait this thing hasn't it a million in sales? Is it because of stock shortages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

It is possible. I know the Gamestop by me never has any for sale.

Jun 25, 2009
In Asia there are major stock shortages of the PS VR and the PS4 Pro. There is barely any stock to last the shipment that comes into the country.

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6527831]It hink[/QUOTE]

It hink indeed.
And honestly, I still want to slap people like you. VR isn't a fad. It's a technology that just reached birthing position, and it isn't even a toddler yet. It was Fetal in the '90s and embryonic in the '80s.

VR is continuing to grow, lead primarily by Phone VR (in other words, not real VR because it's just swivel head, no positional tracking) but PSVR is starting to bring real VR to more people, and next gen VR will be way better, even at more entry level.

Supply is likely artificially constrained because Sony doesn't want to manufacture too many units and have them sit in store shelves. That's bad for business (like PS Vita in NA...). I'm sure they'll sell over 1 million units easily, but whether or not there's sustained support and growth for years to come, that's left to be seen.

Just ordered a PSVR unit. I tried it in Japan before they released it, it was the Getaway demo at the time, and I found it neat.

Grabbed Resident Evil 7, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and Alien: Isolation (I know, not natively supported--I'll play this with the "Cinematic mode") to go with it. I'm a sucker for horror stuff, so let's hope VR lives up to my expectations :)!

My biggest concern is that the baseline PS4 is too under powered to support any graphically intensive VR games in the coming years. Far Point's graphics suffer greatly due to the fact that it has to support the baseline PS4. I know, I know, not everything is about graphics, but when we're talking about VR, graphical fidelity really shouldn't be compromised for that immersion factor. Plus, with Occulus and Vive devs targeting desktop class GPU's like the 1070/1080 for their games, there's very little hope that those games will run remotely well under the baseline PS4... And there's no way Sony will ever allow PS4 Pro exclusives, as that'll completely fracture their market and they've vowed to current PS4 owners that they'd never do that.

I think they're between a rock and a hard place...

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="The_One, post: 6528457]Supply is likely artificially constrained because Sony doesn't want to manufacture too many units and have them sit in store shelves. That's bad for business (like PS Vita in NA...). I'm sure they'll sell over 1 million units easily, but whether or not there's sustained support and growth for years to come, that's left to be seen.

Just ordered a PSVR unit. I tried it in Japan before they released it, it was the Getaway demo at the time, and I found it neat.

Grabbed Resident Evil 7, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and Alien: Isolation (I know, not natively supported--I'll play this with the "Cinematic mode") to go with it. I'm a sucker for horror stuff, so let's hope VR lives up to my expectations :)!

My biggest concern is that the baseline PS4 is too under powered to support any graphically intensive VR games in the coming years. Far Point's graphics suffer greatly due to the fact that it has to support the baseline PS4. I know, I know, not everything is about graphics, but when we're talking about VR, graphical fidelity really shouldn't be compromised for that immersion factor. Plus, with Occulus and Vive devs targeting desktop class GPU's like the 1070/1080 for their games, there's very little hope that those games will run remotely well under the baseline PS4... And there's no way Sony will ever allow PS4 Pro exclusives, as that'll completely fracture their market and they've vowed to current PS4 owners that they'd never do that.

I think they're between a rock and a hard place...[/QUOTE]
That sounds craptastic. They may have shot themselves in the foot with that promise.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6529708]Two months later and they finally reach one million sold.[/QUOTE]

[video=youtube;vxfi7XMS8pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxfi7XMS8pw[/video]

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
VR seems to have less enthusiasm right now compared to S3D when it launched, S3D started out better than this. S3D did reasonably well over time, but the gripe with many people was you had to don glasses, now how would you sell PS VR to such people when you need to put on a bigger piece of plastic on your head to enjoy it? And the ps4 pro simply isn't is powerful enough to have VR games with a level of graphical fidelity you would see on uncharted or horizon, you have to compromise on graphics just for the VR effect.

I dont see much enthusiasm for VR on these forums either, apart from a handful of people who keep saying how great VR is.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="rene2kx, post: 6530362]S3D did reasonably well over time, but the gripe with many people was you had to don glasses, now how would you sell PS VR to such people when you need to put on a bigger piece of plastic on your head to enjoy it?[/quote]
What alternative are you expecting?

And the ps4 pro simply isn't powerful enough to have VR games with a level of graphical fidelity you would see on uncharted or horizon, you have to compromise on graphics just for the VR effect.
I'm pretty sure it's mostly core gamers who are interested in realistic graphics.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="rene2kx, post: 6530362]I dont see much enthusiasm for VR on these forums either, apart from a handful of people who keep saying how great VR is.[/QUOTE]

That's because these forums are filled with fogies and contrarians. On Facebook, I see a lot more enthusiasm for VR. Forums as a whole are dying out, except for help forums where you ask a question and people say "Use google" so you use google and find the forum telling you to use google... Sorry, unrelated, but I can't stand that sort of thing. In any case, (this style of) forum users are the old guard now. Most people have moved on, as much as I hate trying to have discussions with strangers on facebook or what have you.

Thing is... As I've said for a long time, it's gonna be slow. I still think 10 year before we see true market saturation. Everyone preaching doom and gloom at this time, and bitching about it when they haven't tried it, and doing things like denying VR legs exists etc. are being very shortsighted.

Combined VR / AR (because in a couple of generations, it will be all be combined and there will no longer be an either / or situation) is the future. You neo-luddites can mock it, and celebrate its supposed demise, but this is where technology is going. Prior to DK1, VR had false starts. DK1 (though itself not true VR) was the actual birth of this industry, and it is still in its infancy. In 5 years, it will reach strong hobbyist status like the NES had, and in 10, mainstream like the PS1 had. The prices have to come down and some more hardware kinks have to be worked out, but to look at current sales is extremely short sighted.

Last edited:

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6530383]What alternative are you expecting?

I'm pretty sure it's mostly core gamers who are interested in realistic graphics.[/QUOTE]1. Unless they could ever come up with VR that doesn't require additional gear, i dont see it taking off ever on a mainstream level. Something that requires additional gear to be mounted to enjoy just doesnt sit well with the mainstream crowd, as was evident with S3D and now even more so with VR.
2. who's to say that people who are interested in VR are not core gamers? I'm sure they are, i don't think casuals would invest this kind of money in buying additional headgear. But as limited as the power of the ps4 is, with VR games they have to compromise on the graphics front.

Last edited:

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6530412]That's because these forums are filled with fogies and contrarians. On Facebook, I see a lot more enthusiasm for VR. Forums as a whole are dying out, except for help forums where you ask a question and people say "Use google" so you use google and find the forum telling you to use google... Sorry, unrelated, but I can't stand that sort of thing. In any case, (this style of) forum users are the old guard now. Most people have moved on, as much as I hate trying to have discussions with strangers on facebook or what have you.

Thing is... As I've said for a long time, it's gonna be slow. I still think 10 year before we see true market saturation. Everyone preaching doom and gloom at this time, and $#@!ing about it when they haven't tried it, and doing things like denying VR legs exists etc. are being very shortsighted.

Combined VR / AR (because in a couple of generations, it will be all be combined and there will no longer be an either / or situation) is the future. You neo-luddites can mock it, and celebrate its supposed demise, but this is where technology is going. Prior to DK1, VR had false starts. DK1 (though itself not true VR) was the actual birth of this industry, and it is still in its infancy. In 5 years, it will reach strong hobbyist status like the NES had, and in 10, mainstream like the PS1 had. The prices have to come down and some more hardware kinks have to be worked out, but to look at current sales is extremely short sighted.[/QUOTE]I visit a couple of tech forums, not just this game forum, off which i am basing my opinion on. When S3D was newly launched, there was more enthusiasm for it, so far for VR i find less.
And if you say it still needs 10 years for market saturation, then you are simply accepting the technology isnt there right now and it would take a long time. Hard to get optimistic about something like that. For all we know, people in 10 years might have moved to something else and VR would just have been a forgotten experiment.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="rene2kx, post: 6530431]I visit a couple of tech forums, not just this game forum,[/QUOTE]

Forums are filled with the old guard. That was, in fact, something I said in my original post.

[QUOTE="rene2kx, post: 6530431]off which i am basing my opinion on. When S3D was newly launched, there was more enthusiasm for it, so far for VR i find less.[/quote]

Because S3d is easy to understand. Everyone who has visited Disneyland or Universal Studios had seen it prior to the 3d boom, and everyone has seen it now. VR needs to be demoed on a one by one basis. 99.9% of people haven't tried it, and some that have only got short or poor demos.
[QUOTE="rene2kx, post: 6530431]And if you say it still needs 10 years for market saturation, then you are simply accepting the technology isnt there right now and it would take a long time.[/quote] No, I'm accepting VR is a hard sell. It'll need the equivalent of "Tupperware parties" to sell. People need to see it in person closed quarters to understand. It'll take 10 years because that's how long it will take for people to get their friends to demo it, get some of them to buy, get some of those friends to demo it, etc [QUOTE="rene2kx, post: 6530431]Hard to get optimistic about something like that. For all we know, people in 10 years might have moved to something else and VR would just have been a forgotten experiment.[/quote]

You can think that, but you're wrong. I haven't seen a single person try VR and not be really impressed by it. The feeling is not matched by anything else in technology.

Last edited: