Polygon gives PUBG 10/10

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This is hilarious considering the excerpt of the VG247 review I posted in another thread was very critical.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Eurogamer, who have also recommended the PC version, are saying it's a fun social experience or "hangout" game where your imagination does much of the heavy-lifting.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Xbox version still experiencing issues, it seems.

But the biggest issue we've encountered in returning to PUBG is that netcode is far less stable than it was during the launch last week. According to some of our followers on Twitter, micro-teleporting and 'rubber-banding' started to occur before Patch 1 was deployed, but it definitely persists into the new version. Again, this can seemingly happen at any given point, but occurs most often at the beginning of the game. At its worst, we get network connection blackouts, but the inability to simply walk through a door is commonplace at the time of writing. Based on our experiences, the issue kicks in most noticeably when other players are present - which is obviously less than ideal, as that's when control really shouldn't be compromised. As things stand, the experience, as fun as it can be, is still frustrating enough to make paying for the product a big ask.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-pubg-xbox-one-patch-one-analysis

Jun 4, 2007
Well that was a bit unexpected. That code must be a hotass mess if MS's best technical team hasn't figured it out yet. They did brag about how quick and easy it was to port titles over to the xbone family.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Give me a break. This game wouldn't be a 10/10 even after 10 more updates.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
That game's not even a 1. It's a pure joke. Overhyped, ridiculously lame, boring and it doesn't even have moderate graphics.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
The concept of the game is pretty good though. I'd like to try it out and I was planning on getting it for the Xbox when it came out but changed my mind after discovering that we can't play with PC players (yet). Hoping they have plans for that.

Otherwise, I'll just play it on PC whenever I finally get around to building one.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I probably shouldn't be surprised that Microsoft aren't showing off actual gameplay in commercials. Granted, I've only seen a 15-second live-action commercial of one really excited guy shouting to everyone else in a cargo plane which was kind of lame.

I think they're also giving the game away for free when you pick up an Xbox One.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
ah...... was i dreaming when i read of The Sea of Thieves water getting used in this game and the Coalition stepping in to help out.

still, 100,000's of people appear to be enjoying the mess as it is on X1.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
so, Jim Sterling likes this on xbox and gives his reasons in the vid (has his usual swearing, be warned).

Out of an apparent 30 million players between PC and Xbox One, that isn't very impressive.
please, put it in context. its been out 2 weeks on X1.

but ok, i'll put it another way, it had a million players on xbox in less than 48 hours just a couple of weeks back. now that is impressive whatever kind of metric YOU want to use.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
please, put it in context. its been out 2 weeks on X1.

but ok, i'll put it another way, it had a million players on xbox in less than 48 hours just a couple of weeks back. now that is impressive whatever kind of metric YOU want to use.
Like I said in another thread, along with having mentioned the million units sold at the time, it will be interesting to see how many people are still playing. When you mentioned "100,000s of people" playing, it seemed surprisingly low. But then I'm also assuming the game sold, at the most, 5 or 6 million copies since releasing on Xbox One two weeks ago.

Either most of the people who bought the game on Xbox One/Xbox One X aren't playing it, or sales of the game dropped significantly since its first 48 hours (which might explain why Microsoft are giving it away for free with the purchase of their console), or your numbers of people playing it are too low.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Is it like a 10/10*

With the biggest asterisks ever whereby the disclaimer then goes on to tell the real review score and state of the game, because if so then totally believable...

While it is recommendable to some degree, it's not so grand that i'd tell my buddy who loves RPG's that he's missing out on a time of a lifetime, because its certainly far from that... so damn far.

This is a 5/10 game at best. It's got no story, the mechanics are quite generic, and the moment to moment gameplay can become quite monotonous. The only thing it's got going for it is its premise, and on that note, it's a premise that's easily replicable *cough* fortnite *cough*

Last edited:

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
The concept (as I understand of PUBG) is to be the last one standing – we've had other games with modes similar to it where you are required to be the last one alive to win, minus the collecting of loot and being confined to a specific area that basically compresses so you are eventually forced into an encounter. That's the hook of the game which is why it's been pretty successful so far on the PC and likely now also on the Xbox.