Polyphony: Gran Turismo 5 Has Sold 6.37 Million Worldwide in Six Weeks

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
GT5p and GT5 are about 1 million away from outselling GT4p and GT4.

Between the development of both the prologue and the main game (they share the same development budget), the GT5 games will handily outsell GT4.

On its own I don't think GT5 will outsell GT4. Sales in the US aren't good enough.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
Sony of America really needs to advertise the game here in the states. I get the feeling that, Gran Turismo 5 will exceed GT4 sales in, Europe.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Arkano6, post: 5446251]That's great for PD, but I'm not so confident it'll exceed GT4 sales.[/QUOTE]

The certainly on pace to.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Gran-Turismo-4/news/Gran-Turismo-Sales-Data-7262.html

Submitted by Chris Leyton on April 28 2005 - 06:32
the recent release of Gran Turismo 4 currently stands at 6.25 million worldwide (Japan 1.09 million, North America 1.94 million, Europe 3.12 million).
That means what took GT5 basically near 3 months in every region it took GT4- 10 months in Japan - 6 months in the US and one month in EU to attain.

GT5 has had a strong launch so now it is time to see if it has legs.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5446260]I am curious as to what the sold to consumer numbers are though, not just retail.[/QUOTE]

Both MS and Sony use sold to retail so thats all we have to go on for any game. Anyway it sounds like GT5 is selling quite well.

smiggy

Forum Sage
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5446260]I am curious as to what the sold to consumer numbers are though, not just retail.[/QUOTE]

Well that didn't take long did it...

adamp93

Apprentice
Oct 2, 2009
thats good considering the time period and the fact that some gamers don't own the console it's on for the first time in the series

U

UberMadness

[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 5446315]Both MS and Sony use sold to retail so thats all we have to go on for any game. Anyway it sounds like GT5 is selling quite well.[/QUOTE]

yea this...

there is no real accurate way of finding sales to consumer... thats why you call it "estimate" in NPD, media create and etc.

[QUOTE="smiggy, post: 5446370]Well that didn't take long did it...[/QUOTE]

yup, he works fast.

E

Express

[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5446467]What didn't?[/QUOTE]

lol. still playing dumb are we? You know exactly what...

What did I say before? I said PD would announce in January that they sold 7M, because people were still doubting the 5.5M sold initially. I was pretty spot on.

This game sells well over long time. Especially with the support it gets from the devs. I can't remember when a game has got so much support after release... Ever?

EDIT: Never mind

Last edited:
S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="Express, post: 5446474]lol. still playing dumb are we? You know exactly what...

What did I say before? I said PD would announce in January that they sold 7M, because people were still doubting the 5.5M sold initially. I was pretty spot on.

This game sells well over long time. Especially with the support it gets from the devs. I can't remember when a game has got so much support after release... Ever?[/QUOTE]

I'm still not following? I am just curious as to what the sold to retail vs. sold to consumer is. I am always curious about that with any game or console announcement. As for support after a game was released, I think GT is near the top. I love that they even had the 3 big Spec updates GT5 Prologue. 1.06 update rocks. Best update yet for GT5.

I hope later this year we could maybe get a GT5 release with all the patches included on the disk as well. Not sure if they ever do that though?

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Express, post: 5446474]
This game sells well over long time. Especially with the support it gets from the devs. I can't remember when a game has got so much support after release... Ever?[/QUOTE]
Burnout Paradise.

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5446487]Burnout Paradise.[/QUOTE]
I have never owned that game, however I did keep reading where they kept releasing DLC for it as well for a long time.

U

UberMadness

well, i saw some interesting comments at N4G and apparently it is sold/shipped more than Halo Reach and Halo 3 during 6 weeks period.

E

Express

[QUOTE="UberMadness, post: 5446581]well, i saw some interesting comments at N4G and apparently it is sold/shipped more than Halo Reach and Halo 3 during 6 weeks period.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty crazy. So it's basically the fastest best selling exclusive this gen? Kinda crazy since GT has never been front loaded. So in the end it will be the fastest AND best selling exclusive this gen. Nice work!

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5446476]I'm still not following? I am just curious as to what the sold to retail vs. sold to consumer is. I am always curious about that with any game or console announcement.[/QUOTE]

As Rad said you don't get that with any game... ever

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="FonFahbre, post: 5446266]Sony of America really needs to advertise the game here in the states. I get the feeling that, Gran Turismo 5 will exceed GT4 sales in, Europe.[/QUOTE]

The sales in europe have alot to do with the driving culture.

When you break GT5 down to it's core you get one of the best racing games out there on the market with the best visuals I have ever seen.
Popped in GT5 the other day just to whip round the track and I nearly wet myself a little it looked that real.

Last edited:
S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 5446764]As Rad said you don't get that with any game... ever[/QUOTE]
It's my understanding that software sales on NPD are from retail to consumer estimates.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="UberMadness, post: 5446581]well, i saw some interesting comments at N4G and apparently it is sold/shipped more than Halo Reach and Halo 3 during 6 weeks period.[/QUOTE]

Thats mighty impressive.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5447306]It's my understanding that software sales on NPD are from retail to consumer estimates.[/QUOTE]

1. Those are estimates.

2. There is no uniform source for the entire world. At best you get solid info for around 15 regions.

3. What rad and bit mean, is that you will never get the sell through data (at least their internal calculations) from the big three if they attempt to talk about sell through they normally quote a third party tracker and they only seem to do it for one region at a time. Like Microsoft does with NPD and Nintendo does with charttrack. This absolves them of being reported as giving out inaccurate information. They paid for these estimations, the accuracy of these estimations they released are on the heads of the respective reporting companies.

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5447327]1. Those are estimates.[/QUOTE]
That is what I said in my quote:

It's my understanding that software sales on NPD are from retail to consumer estimates.
It's impossible to know the EXACT number due to endless variables.

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007

****ING YAWN! This pish is older than the universe and half of what "existed" before that.

Games sold on every format follow the same rules so give this garbage up.

Smiler

Superior Member
Sep 10, 2007
location, location
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5446299]The certainly on pace to.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Gran-Turismo-4/news/Gran-Turismo-Sales-Data-7262.html

That means what took GT5 basically near 3 months in every region it took GT4- 10 months in Japan - 6 months in the US and one month in EU to attain.

GT5 has had a strong launch so now it is time to see if it has legs.[/QUOTE]

Those figures are for December and roughly the first 6 weeks and not for February and the first 3 months