Practical Test - What to expect and how to pass!

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.

I'm going to be booking my practical on Thursday, I passed my theory in July and at the moment, the waiting list is quite short, if I booked today, I'd be able to take the test 1st October which is only 3 weeks.

Is there anything to look out for, to keep the examiner happy, I'm going to check my mirrors countless times aha. I'm gonna try and have as many lessons as possible leading up to the test, although when I drive around with my mom on my provisional license, I tend to get lazy with things such as mirrors and my hand position.

holly

Forum Guru
Jul 2, 2008
When you're on your actual test make everything really obvious. Like even if you have checked your mirrors before the examiner gets in the car with you, check them again to make it obvious to the examiner.

Revise your 'Show me, tell me' questions, know most of them off by heart.

Before the test get lots of practice in, it really helped me to practice with my dad a lot before my test but make sure you don't get lazy like you said.

R

REFLEX

I've taken a high performance driving class before, it's the first step in learning a lot of stunt driver stuff. I've been driving for a long time and I'm pretty damn good.

My advice to you is stay extremely focused, but calm and collected. Practice the test, or something like it, before the actual test if you need to.

I'm not sure how strict they are in your country, but in Canada the official AMA tests they put you through (AMA being the actual GOOD driving school, not some cheap 123 Easy Driving school place) they can be pretty strict. If you speed even once during the entire test you automatically fail.

If you have any specific questions just ask us here.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
well ur in a different country from me but i did mine like 7 weeks ago
He gave me 2 tasks a parralel park and kirb side park, others included 3 point turn reverse park and angle park
He would say either left right or straight
and you have to make sure u dont go over the speed limit dont go through yellow lights
check your blind spot everytime you are going to change lanes
before going through lights and intersections look left and right
always indicate when required like out of round-a-bouts
when u break behind a car make sure u can see the bottom of their tyres
drive confidently
they cant trick you so always do what they say

And idk if this helped me or not but i was having a general conversation with him the whole time about rugby amongst other things

I passed my Practical a couple of months ago, talk about nerve racking. Aside from constantly checking the 3 mirrors and keeping both hands on the wheel:

Put the handbrake up when at a red light or cross walk when pedestrians pass.
6 point check when pulling off from the road.
Stop just before any white lines when coming to a stop at a junction.

The instructors themselves stay quiet don't really engage in any small talk before, during or after the test.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
[QUOTE="higgos22, post: 0]well ur in a different country from me but i did mine like 7 weeks ago
He gave me 2 tasks a parralel park and kirb side park, others included 3 point turn reverse park and angle park
He would say either left right or straight
and you have to make sure u dont go over the speed limit dont go through yellow lights
check your blind spot everytime you are going to change lanes
before going through lights and intersections look left and right
always indicate when required like out of round-a-bouts
when u break behind a car make sure u can see the bottom of their tyres
drive confidently
they cant trick you so always do what they say

And idk if this helped me or not but i was having a general conversation with him the whole time about rugby amongst other things[/quote]

were not allowed to talk that much to our examiners as if we find we have a mutual interest it is deemed that they may be more lenient to us. (somebody my instructor teaches got told off for talking to much)

SessDMC

Forum Sage
Dec 13, 2004
Another thing is hone in and sharpen your manoeuvres, i.e As said before, parallel park, reverse around the corner, in the road turn (used to be called 3 point turn) and the others.

Also Dont you EVER take a test with the DSA in Barnsley, there a bunch of *****.

May 31, 2008
www.youtube.com
Try and book the appointment for a time where there isn't a lot of traffic, I think I did mine at about 7am. Carparks were empty so parking was a piece of cake and most of the roads weren't too bad.

Other than that if you know your stuff then you have nothing to worry about, just try not to stress out about anything.

Jan 8, 2008
Definitially book it for when the roads are quite, makes it much easier. My test was first thing on either a saturday or sunday morning and i never had to stop at traffic lights or roundabouts.

Don't hesitate, but don't rush it either! if your at a round about and there is space to get out go for it or you might end up sitting there for ages and will fail for hesitating, but don't go for stupidly small spaces or you'll fail for driving dangerously.

Check your mirrors often, when turning slowing down, speeding up pretty much everything you do. and make it obvious that you are checking them don't wildly turn your head but don't just glance or your examiner may miss you looking and again fail you.

Stay calm, don't panick and don't crash and you should pass.

Good luck!

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Go really fast, the examiner will enjoy that.
Yes id imagine he would

were not allowed to talk that much to our examiners as if we find we have a mutual interest it is deemed that they may be more lenient to us. (somebody my instructor teaches got told off for talking to much)
Hmm :S i can see how that actually could be a problem
but at the same time he was doing all the talking lol
He starts off saying how bad the traffic is turn down here its quieter goes onto the government not fixing the roads then other government stuff i asked if he liked any sport and he went on about rugby for like 20minutes

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
My friend did his the other day and he failed for not checking his mirrors enough, and even though he was glancing at them, to show the examiner he would have to actually turn his head since the examiner didn't notice him glancing at them. I would have thought it was ok to glance since you don't really want to take your eyes off the road.

On a brighter note, I have now booked a test for 4th November :)

Wish me luck

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
The best bit of advise you can be given is, RELAX. You start over thinking everything and trying to being to perfect, you'll start making mistakes and missing things. Just relax and drive normally.

l91

Apprentice
Jan 30, 2008
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]My friend did his the other day and he failed for not checking his mirrors enough, and even though he was glancing at them, to show the examiner he would have to actually turn his head since the examiner didn't notice him glancing at them. I would have thought it was ok to glance since you don't really want to take your eyes off the road.

On a brighter note, I have now booked a test for 4th November :)

Wish me luck[/quote]

Yup mirrors are a ****, thats why I failed, even though I was checking them constantly. They expect you to check your mirrors more than looking where you're going. I mean, look in 2 mirrors when changing up a gear. What the hell are you going to see behind you that's going to make you think, 'oh, perhaps I won't change gear then'.

Anyway, rant over, good luck. Remember, mirrors!

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
haha yeh i did mine at around 10am and traffic was good and good luck with that cus driving by urself is great :)
btw Auto or Manual?

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]I passed my test :)

Only had 2 minors ;D

Need to sort out insurance now[/quote]

Ahh from the euphoria of passing to the inevitable selling of a kidney to pay for insurance. Happy days.