previews, open betas, information releases. Good or bad?

Jul 1, 2008
I thought I'd make an official discussion since this topic has came up in 2 different threads

Do those things hurt the success of games?
Is there any game you would've bought had you not been exposed to all kinds of information (negative or not) on it?

Were the oldschool days better? When a game would be announced only weeks prior to its release. All you had going into those stores was excitement to explore that new title?

iBlake

Apprentice
May 26, 2008
This is a tough one..

I think it is good for games that will live up to the hype but for others and for some developers who havent made good games in the past (for some) it's not e.g Treyarch.

Jul 1, 2008
Very few games live up to their spartan level of expectations and hype.

In most cases, the early exposure causes comments like this " I was really hyped up for this game but now I think I'm gonna pass on it now"

I 've seen that so many times right on these forums, this section

Ahem*Socom*ahem*

Jun 29, 2008
One word. YES. If gaming was what it used to be a couple years back, we would all be gaming hippies and never hate on each other for what games they chose or console.

If less information was released, this would give us more of a wonder on what the game will be like, and no matter what, the game is going to surprise you. When I owned PS1 and PS2, there was not one game I really hated so much I wanted to get rid of it. I would just hear about it, then rent it. Here is my good example:

When I heard of Kingdom Hearts, I thought it was the stupidest of all ideas. Mixture of FF and Disney. I was so curious about how they would actually make it turn out. If they idea was that great to make it into a game, then it must be worth a try. So I rented it when it released, with about a couple commercial views and some screenshots being the only things I saw on the game. I rent it and completely blown away. They implemented the characters very nicely and the story was amazing. I was never hyped for this game, all I said was that I was gonna try it out when I can.

So my point is: being less informed about things you plan to try out leaves you with a lot of imagination. It always manages to catch you off guard because you are very new to it. These days, so much info and crap is released on the internet, that you basically know what to expect in the game, but you still hype it up even more to the point unreachable by game developers. People expect surprises once getting their new games but after studying it on the internet and getting super hyped for it, you should always know that its better not to expect anything else coming in the game, so that way you are satisfied with what you know, and if anything else DID come in the game, it would be a surprise. But even myself, I cant help but looking at videos and stuff, because its there and available to anyone without anyone stopping you. Which takes out the fun of having an imagination and not expecting whats to come.

mini E

Superior Member
May 7, 2006
USA
i think about this everytime i see a new r2 vid or turn on my lbp beta
i can't really answer that question, but i will say it's impossible not to look, even though i know i would enjoy it much more if i didn't pretty much know it from the inside out. betas are a beautiful thing, but only those that have a good delivery system *cough* not lbp *cough* and don't reveal too much of the game, so as to leave something to look forward too.

[QUOTE="disposableheroV, post: 0]One word. YES. If gaming was what it used to be a couple years back, we would all be gaming hippies and never hate on each other for what games they chose or console.

If less information was released, this would give us more of a wonder on what the game will be like, and no matter what, the game is going to surprise you.....

So my point is: being less informed about things you plan to try out leaves you with a lot of imagination....These days, so much info and crap is released on the internet, that you basically know what to expect in the game, but you still hype it up even more to the point unreachable by game developers... But even myself, I cant help but looking at videos and stuff, because its there and available to anyone without anyone stopping you. Which takes out the fun of having an imagination and not expecting whats to come.[/quote]
exactly how i feel.

i believe every game should have a demo, and for those that like the demo, or have some way to prove you are a hardcore fan, should be able to try a beta

Jan 29, 2007
Consumers and fans should always be well informed of products. However the PR of games these days tends to over extend and exaggerate what the product really is like. And in those cases it simply hurts.

Other times its good to know what your buying so you can make a good purchase.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
I think for people who do NOT fall into the trap of HYPE all of this is ok. But there are some people who can't help but get involved in hype and there are people that love to decide final products off of the demo (no!) or the beta (NO!!). There probably needs to be a counseling corner of the forum just to educate people.

Jun 29, 2008
[QUOTE="mini E, post: 0]

exactly how i feel.

i believe every game should have a demo, and for those that like the demo, or have some way to prove you are a hardcore fan, should be able to try a beta[/quote]

Yeah, demos/beta are fine with me. Those are as much as you should look for when thinking about a game. But still, never judge the final product by the demo/beta. That's what I'm doing with Socom. The beta was cool and all but probably the most buggiest thing ever. I'm not giving up on it completely and hating on it like all other people would. I just wait for the final copy.

But when you talk about it for about a year on the internet constantly keeping yourself updated on everything on it, you aren't going to be very surprised with the product once you get it.

Aug 21, 2008
I dont think betas are good - im leaning towards not buying little big planet after playing 2 weeks of the beta, would have definitly got it if i hadn't played the beta though

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
[QUOTE="HowlBridges, post: 0]I thought I'd make an official discussion since this topic has came up in 2 different threads

Do those things hurt the success of games?
Is there any game you would've bought had you not been exposed to all kinds of information (negative or not) on it?

Were the oldschool days better? When a game would be announced only weeks prior to its release. All you had going into those stores was excitement to explore that new title?[/quote]
Good question, i like all the info that comes out 1-1.5 years before release, i prefer to stay away from trying the game my self first though, that is why i avoid betas and demos at least most of the time.