Problems and moar problems

Dec 25, 2005
So, i've been trying to wrap my head around this situation with my PC. A few days back it was functioning fine, but then it started giving me a different assortment of BSODs every time I tried to boot the system.

I thought that this was the time for a fresh windows 7 x64 installation. But the installation had ****in blue screens in itself. So, I cant install the damn thing. I thought that the disc might be a problem, so I borrowed a different version of windows 7 from my friend, but to no avail. It gave me the same problem. Then I tried to install windows XP x86 and it installed and functioned beautifully for the time I needed to diagnose the problems online. Again, nothing that pinpointed the culprit.

I started removing the hardware and checked it by replacing the components one by one. The ram isnt the problem, the GPU isnt the problem. That is what I have so far. It could be a faulty motherboard, a cpu gone bad or a ****ty power supply. I have no idea how to check which one is problematic here.

tl;dr - I can only install windows xp without getting a bsod during installation. Help me diagnose the problem.

+rep to any help.

Dec 25, 2005
I have googled them yes, and most of them are related to problems after windows installation, not during. Also, driver installation is out of the question when I cant even install windows without getting BSOD.

Aug 28, 2007
Cienfuegos
Had this happened to one PC, me too. Had to remove the graphic card, and use the default one. So got another "better" graphic card and it was solved.
Don't remember the name of the "Win7 faulty" graphic card.

Dec 25, 2005
I tried it with three different gfx cards(courtesy of my local computer shop) but no change. What i'm trying right now is, nuking the HDD(not literally lolz) and then running different diagnostic tools for ram and the cpu through dos. Lets see how that goes.

Dec 25, 2005
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]Good ol' XP. :)[/quote]

Dont rejoice yet, true believer! I tried x64 win xp and it wouldnt install either.

Dec 25, 2005
[QUOTE="Farside, post: 0]My money is on it being your memory.[/quote]

Ran memtest86+ on it for 6 hours with no errors, so i've ruled that out. Trying to install xp x86 right now and gonna try to see if it works again. If it does, i'm gonna stress test it to pinpoint the problem then.

Mikael

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2007
Gothenburg
I'd try a different harddrive ASAP. Even though it could be the CPU or motherboard, I think the harddrive is more likely to be the culprit.

Another few things to try:

- Monitor the voltage rails (through BIOS or other software)
- Underclock the CPU to some really low frequency
- Increase the voltages to the CPU, RAM, etc by ~10%

Dec 25, 2005
[QUOTE="Mikael, post: 0]I'd try a different harddrive ASAP. Even though it could be the CPU or motherboard, I think the harddrive is more likely to be the culprit.

Another few things to try:

- Monitor the voltage rails (through BIOS or other software)
- Underclock the CPU to some really low frequency
- Increase the voltages to the CPU, RAM, etc by ~10%[/quote]
Tried it with different HDDs, same results. Also used HDD sentinel to check HDD health and the tests say that the HDDs are fine. The voltage rails are good, and the voltage on different components remains constant.

Well, the x86 win xp wont install as well now. Running a burn-in test right now to really stress the components. and the psu.

I think its down to the PSU and the motherboard as the suspects right now, but I cant really say, will wait for the burn-in.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
You are clearly very computer savvy and have tried all the things I would normally suggest. I'm afraid I cannot be any help but please keep us updated as Id be interested to know the culprit.
Usually the last thing you think of!

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
Could be obvious, but is it overclocked? Set it back to stock if it is and try it. My overclock went totally unstable on me out of nowhere before, would blue screen every 2 or so minutes.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
Not to go for the most expensive thing but it
sounds like a chip has burned out/swollen on your motherboard...

Best way to diagnose that is to open it up, pull it out and take a look

Dec 25, 2005
Well, I ran stress tests overnight, and it is pointing to the motherboard being the problem. I'll buy a new one this monday then. Thanks for all the help guys, you are the best! :)