Problems with age limitations

Jun 11, 2020
I've got two questions related to problems with age limitations. My son (13) has an account on our playstation - I made a child account because he is a child, but now the account has all kinds of limitations that don't make any sense to me as his parent. I thought of making him a new account, but he'd lose all his trophies and contacts and literally hundreds and hundreds of game progress hours.

Here is one issue: We've got "monster hunter world" bought as a digital download. He wants to buy the "Iceborne" extension, but the game tells him "cannot access network due to age limitations". All parental controls are set to "Allow" and "All ages" so I definitely did not limit it.

1. Can I give him network access somehow?
2. Or if I buy the game on my account, will his also be upgraded with the DLC?

The issue is even worse with Assassins Creed: Odyssey, as the DLC he wants to download requires the user to be level IDK 18 or something. Only his account has that level (I'm level 5), so I can't even buy it for him. Any workarounds?

Finally I would really like to just upgrade his account to an adult account, but for some reason SONY has taken it on themselves to allow this when he turns 18. Is there any way to avoid this? I am seriously frustrated by SONY trying to decide how I parent my child.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I HEAR YOU! I had all this issue with my son some years ago. I was insanely frustrated that Sony were attempting to parent on my behalf. I wanted the ability to override a given restriction in a given situation (with a passcode) like I was able to do on the Xbox since the 360!

Monster Hunter - yes, if you purchase the DLC it will be available to him as well providing you purchase it and this is your 'Primary PS4' (which it will be if it's your only one)

Assassin's Creed - This might be a Uplay account age restriction. Is the PS4 preventing him from purchasing this, or the Assassin's Creed game?

Upgrade to adult account - the only way I've known someone do this was to call Sony and tell them the birth date was incorrect and you want to change it (which they did allow). I don't personally know of another way.

Jun 11, 2020
Thanks for the reply, and nice hint on the birth date, that should be worth trying at least! It could be the game actually (on AC) - let me see if I can work that out.