project morpheus GDC video.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
Yum, 50minutes!

I'll watch it now :p

Edit: The best thing about Morpheus I think is how standardised the hardware will be and with this kit everyone gets the same experience globally. Say somone wants to create virtual tourism all you need is a PS4 + Camera + Move x2 + Morpheus.

Also imagine in the future the wizards at SONY making a smaller PS4, it only makes this a more attractive option.

For some reason I can't picture an equally seamless experience on PC, sure you get graphics sliders for performance but you will be missing out on a standardised experience and as we all know Windows is complete junk when it comes to breaking immersion in a game or even watching a movie.

Last edited:

Demi_God

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2013
Icy hot of the north
Well, if you watched the video they talk about stuff like the VR prototypes all the way up till now and the hurdles they have encountered. Also, what to watch out for in VR, the good and bad with VR, Technical discussions with about VR, etc etc.

shepard

PSU Live Streamer
Dec 21, 2006
That video showcasing VR+move controller....makes the entire concept seem waaaay cooler than I gave it credit for. My interest has risen above ground level now lol

shepard

PSU Live Streamer
Dec 21, 2006
Yea I still remember Virtual Boy, thinking VR was in the near future back then lol.

My only reservation towards the technology is 1st vs 3rd person view. VR feels like a match made in heaven for 1st person view games. I personally prefer 3rd person view gaming and am not entirely certain on how well it would translate in VR

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I don't remember who it was, but I like the way a commenter put the third person thing... "It's like playing with toys that are alive"

There is no problem with third person view. Even in story heavy FP games, I like what they said on the video. You are taken out of your character and become an observer, and you can still look around and such. The VR experience does not require you be an active participant in everything that's happening, but rather just that you BE there.

Dec 24, 2007
It was a good presentation. The problem is I dont have the slightest idea when they plan on releasing it?
End of 2014? 2015? 2016?
hen they talk about it they make it seem like its far away from being released. I dont wanna wait a few years for them to perfect it.
I want it now!

Last edited:

sneezymarble

Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2008
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 6322444]Yum, 50minutes!

I'll watch it now :p

Edit: The best thing about Morpheus I think is how standardised the hardware will be and with this kit everyone gets the same experience globally. Say somone wants to create virtual tourism all you need is a PS4 + Camera + Move x2 + Morpheus.

Also imagine in the future the wizards at SONY making a smaller PS4, it only makes this a more attractive option.

For some reason I can't picture an equally seamless experience on PC, sure you get graphics sliders for performance but you will be missing out on a standardised experience and as we all know Windows is complete junk when it comes to breaking immersion in a game or even watching a movie.[/QUOTE]

Please explain.

Dec 20, 2006
I didn't watch the whole video, but there was supposed to be a bit where Shu puts on the vr headset and we see a first person view of him as Kratos. Is that in there?

Demi_God

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2013
Icy hot of the north
yea, but it's like only a couple of seconds and not much. I believe they just threw that in there really quick, the development time on it wasn't all that much either, just a room with him ripping a body in half in first person view. It was kind of weird.