PS Eye vs MS Kinect outside of the video game realm

Nov 13, 2004
Most of us know these both are cameras. From pure hardware point of view, the PS Eye dominates no questions asked.

But my video game blog of choice is Joystiq, and I always come across how people are using the Kinect in other applications.

Now my question is, why not use the Eye for it? It's hardware is superior. What makes Kinect the go-to product when making these things? Can the same type of hacks use the Eye just as easily?

This thread and these questions are intended to spark a discussion. Plus it's just got me thinking.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
I can think of the major difference off the bat is the EYE doesn't have the depth sensing IR camera. That goes a long way in these hacks

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5585135]depth? as in moving back & forward?[/QUOTE]

No, the IR camera actually maps the room and determines your physical location whereas the EYE can be used to sense movement, it can't actually spatially place you in the room.

Dec 23, 2010
Ther Eye is just a generic webcam. Nothing special about it at all. And it can only see in 2D, since it's only a single camera.

Kinect sees in stereoscopic 3D, and sees in both color and infrared. This allows it to do proper tracking in 3D space, something which Eye is incapable of, and see things that are outside of the spectrum that Eye sees in.

Kinect can also move it's cameras and focus on and track specific tagets where Eye just sees an area.

And from a pure hardware point of view, Eye is just a cheap webcam and Kinect's color camera is equal to Eye in every way. Both have the same max resolution and the same max refresh rate, so any belief that you have that Eye is somehow superior is pure fiction.

Dec 23, 2010
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5585145]Doesnt the Eye run at like 120FPS vs 30FPS Kinect?[/QUOTE]

Eye can run at 320X240 resolution at 120hz or 640X480 resolution at 60hz.

The cameras in Kinect can do the same thing but are limited on the 360 to half the refresh rates due to bandwidth limitations on the 360 USB bus. If you moved Kinect to a USB3.0 bus you could unlock the higher refresh rates with a firmware update without changing the hardware.

Last edited:
S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="MiThRaZoR, post: 5585125]From pure hardware point of view, the PS Eye dominates no questions asked.[/QUOTE]

Jan 15, 2015
[QUOTE="MiThRaZoR, post: 5585125] I always come across how people are using the Kinect in other applications.

Now my question is, why not use the Eye for it? [/QUOTE]

A frame rate of 125fps makes the Eye great for slow motion recording and analysis applications. I've written one myself. It's available at:

www.heath-studios.com/slowmotion

Enjoy!