PS Move and Kinect

dogg2k78

Dedicated Member
Nov 20, 2006
So i got a chance to try the Kinetic in Toronto, canada and I was very impressed. I am what u call a Playstation Fan boy, but i am going to have to get a 360 just to get the Kinetic.

My uncle bought the Move and having to calibrate every time you wanna play was a bit annoying.

What do you guys think that have had the chance to try both?

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
haven't tried both but i think the kinect is very innovative and its only in early stages, no doubt patches and whatnot wil be released to reduce latency, I saw an old security mall cop buying it for his kids and grandkids. lol

innovative product

however, im not really into casual gaming, quite honest i think its lame.

I'm a lazy gamer, but I am fascinated with how far technology has come

this can only prolong console generation..which i'm hoping it will

B

Brdrifter92

i have both systems but i gotta say pretending like your playing a game with nothing in you hand makes u feel a bit weird i rather buy the move u can at least hold the controller in a fashion of a gun, tennis racket ect.....

dinotante

Dedicated Member
Jan 7, 2008
Kinect is going to show the world that spending a billion on MARKETING will net MORE SALES than spending a billion in creating a better product.

No doubt - Kinect is going to blow PS Move sales out of the water...

------

Who loses?? The hardcore gamer of course.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="dinotante, post: 5260445]Kinect is going to show the world that spending a billion on MARKETING will net MORE SALES than spending a billion in creating a better product.

No doubt - Kinect is going to blow PS Move sales out of the water...

------

Who loses?? The hardcore gamer of course.[/QUOTE]
Not the hardcore Sony gamer. They have more than enough to keep us covered next year with their exclusives.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Kinect, at this stage, is a complete failure. In my honest opinion at least.

The best game is a game that I - and almost 98% of the people I know whom are gamers - will never touch (Note: Dance Central)

Move is the complete opposite. It's turned "Motion controls are stupid!" people into "Move (motion controls) is awesome!!".

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5260461]Kinect, at this stage, is a complete failure. In my honest opinion at least.

The best game is a game that I - and almost 98% of the people I know whom are gamers - will never touch (Note: Dance Central)

Move is the complete opposite. It's turned "Motion controls are stupid!" people into "Move (motion controls) is awesome!!".[/QUOTE]Indeed

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5260461]Kinect, at this stage, is a complete failure. In my honest opinion at least.

Move is the complete opposite. It's turned "Motion controls are stupid!" people into "Move (motion controls) is awesome!!".[/QUOTE]

What Kinect lacks is different game types, for the most part they contain: running, jumping and having you match poses.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5260471]What Kinect lacks is different game types, for the most part they contain: running, jumping and having you match poses.[/QUOTE]I agree with that. The other type of games are what I'm looking forward to seeing.

I think for the launch titles that they have performed pretty well as far as keeping up with Move and Wii versions(sports champions/wii sports ect).

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
Haven't had a chance to use it, but it really looks from videos and reviews that it is gimmicky and just an interface. Next generation it'll be super sweet.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Kinect at the moment sucks. I have seen demos at an expo here in Vienna and have seen many vids and im not impressed. Plus, an important part of a gaming experience to me is intuitive controls, and you dont get that, or cant have that, when youre waving your hands around like an ape. Lastly, after 11-13 hours at work, I dont really wanna stand infront of my tv flailing my body about. Fail.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5260479]I agree with that. The other type of games are what I'm looking forward to seeing.

I think for the launch titles that they have performed pretty well as far as keeping up with Move and Wii versions(sports champions/wii sports ect).[/QUOTE]

Not a chance. The precision you get in Sports Champions far out classes Wii and obliterates Kinect.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5261829]Not a chance. The precision you get in Sports Champions far out classes Wii and obliterates Kinect.[/QUOTE]
Don't get ahead of yourself there. You're talking about something completely different than what you're responding to. Two3DaMoney is absolutely correct.

G

gameplaya96

Not really interested in seeing this degenerate into yet another Kinect bashing thread, so perhaps we could have opinions from people who've actually tried it?

FWIW, last gen PS2 owners were all about bashing online gaming and look how that turned out. Kinect has to start somewhere, its potential is far greater than Move in the long term. Not to mention, MS already have the hard core gamer, they're targeting the casual now.

wh0

Super Elite
Dec 23, 2005
My biggest problem with the thought of kinect (I say the thought because I haven't tried it) is when they chose not to recognize individual fingers they threw a lot of options out of the window. If your hand can only be recognized as I think open and closed you have to fit "controls" into open hand and closed hand. Any determined developer with patience and past success can find something great to do with that but how do you expand upon it? How do you keep every other game from making limited controls become stale more quickly? While I don't see kinect as innovative I do see it as a missed opportunity that was rushed and/or not planned out completely. The only other thing I can think of is this is just the test to see how successful it would be to actually go all out with it in the next system. I have my issues with that as well but even though I'm not a fanboy I can see how going down that road may make it seem that way while everything above is just me criticizing constructively.

tcrews

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2006
Why does everyone assume that Kinect will limit you to only Kinect as the control interface? Hopefully developers will realize the greater potential (for the hard core gamers) of Kinect to supplement the standard controller. Imaging tossing grenades, pointing to where you want your support troops to move, calling back your soldiers.....all by waving your arm. Open doors, lockers, pickup weapons, etc...by grabbing them instead of having to point the the crosshair at something and then waiting for the "press A to pickup" pops up, etc...

Use the controller for moving, aiming, shooting, calling up maps, etc....supplement that with just tossing a grenade, Stabbing/punching (close combat), opening doors, picking up weapons, etc...all via the Kinect interface. Heck....say "I'm injured" and your medic comes to you and heals you....or "Heal Johnson" and they heal Private Johnson or such.....

This is what I expect to see out of probably the third wave of Kinect titles. Right now it's all about Kinect. I'm looking forward to Kinect just being there and adding to the game, not being the focus of the game.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5261834]Don't get ahead of yourself there. You're talking about something completely different than what you're responding to. Two3DaMoney is absolutely correct.[/QUOTE]

Right. He was talking about the games not the hardware.

Kinect Sports seems to have gone down the Mii route with character design while Sports Champions sits up as a stand alone title. I'll have to wait for a demo kiosk to try out Kinect because $199 Aust is a tad pricey.

Last edited:

wh0

Super Elite
Dec 23, 2005
[QUOTE="tcrews, post: 5261929]Why does everyone assume that Kinect will limit you to only Kinect as the control interface? Hopefully developers will realize the greater potential (for the hard core gamers) of Kinect to supplement the standard controller. Imaging tossing grenades, pointing to where you want your support troops to move, calling back your soldiers.....all by waving your arm. Open doors, lockers, pickup weapons, etc...by grabbing them instead of having to point the the crosshair at something and then waiting for the "press A to pickup" pops up, etc...

Use the controller for moving, aiming, shooting, calling up maps, etc....supplement that with just tossing a grenade, Stabbing/punching (close combat), opening doors, picking up weapons, etc...all via the Kinect interface. Heck....say "I'm injured" and your medic comes to you and heals you....or "Heal Johnson" and they heal Private Johnson or such.....

This is what I expect to see out of probably the third wave of Kinect titles. Right now it's all about Kinect. I'm looking forward to Kinect just being there and adding to the game, not being the focus of the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm only going by what MS themselves said. The point of Kinect is to take the controller out of your hands and make the person the controller. I'm not saying it's limited to just open hands and closed hands but only using that as an example of how far can you go after taking out something that would give you more opportunities to accomplish something.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
Just in an effort to keep this from turning into yet another why Kinect sux thread, I will remind everyone of the OP.

He is asking those who have USED BOTH of the two systems what they think. Not those of you who THINK, or have an OPINION on it... he wants real hands on advice.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5261940]I'll have to wait for a demo kiosk to try out Kinect because $199 Aust is a tad pricey.[/QUOTE]

I felt the $200+ for everything Move required to enjoy full Move control was over priced frankly.

Kinect on the other hand :

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/product/1256971172782/kinect-sensor---xbox-

Or

http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainmen...or-xbox-360-kinect-your-shape-fitness-evolved

Still cheaper than Move ($98 starter kit + $68 second Move controller + $48 for Navigation controller).

I find it's more resourceful overall also, not just for games & can be used in the dark for GUI use.

May 20, 2008
im impressed with both move and kinect. Good hardware and decent software on both sides. if you like motion controls and dont mind having a controller then move is a good choice. If you like having some great tech stuff and dont mind not having a controller then kinect is the way to go. The kinect games are kinda fun and very innovative IMO especially dance central. Dont knock em til you try them.

THE FORS

Apprentice
Jan 26, 2006
[QUOTE="tcrews, post: 5261929]Why does everyone assume that Kinect will limit you to only Kinect as the control interface? Hopefully developers will realize the greater potential (for the hard core gamers) of Kinect to supplement the standard controller. Imaging tossing grenades, pointing to where you want your support troops to move, calling back your soldiers.....all by waving your arm. Open doors, lockers, pickup weapons, etc...by grabbing them instead of having to point the the crosshair at something and then waiting for the "press A to pickup" pops up, etc...

This is what I expect to see out of probably the third wave of Kinect titles. Right now it's all about Kinect. I'm looking forward to Kinect just being there and adding to the game, not being the focus of the game.[/QUOTE]

And that my friend is where you've so misguidedly pinpointed it's fault
IT's basic flaw is that it recognises actions only... depth is out thewindow

FOr example to throw a grenade as you suggested (to accompany a controller game)well you need to physically take your hand off the controller, does the kinect recognise the direction or depth to which you want to throw the thing??

THe tech behind it is impressive ,but to be touted as a generation changing advance in gaming... I've yet to be convinced

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="THE FORS, post: 5262414]And that my friend is where you've so misguidedly pinpointed it's fault

FOr example to throw a grenade as you suggested (to accompany a controller game)well you need to physically take your hand off the controller, does the kinect recognise the direction or depth to which you want to throw the thing??

THe tech behind it is impressive ,but to be touted as a generation changing advance in gaming... I've yet to be convinced[/QUOTE]

Wrong about that it. It does recognize depth.

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="A7MAD, post: 5261961]I felt the $200+ for everything Move required to enjoy full Move control was over priced frankly.

Kinect on the other hand :

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/product/1256971172782/kinect-sensor---xbox-

Or

http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainmen...or-xbox-360-kinect-your-shape-fitness-evolved

Still cheaper than Move ($98 starter kit + $68 second Move controller + $48 for Navigation controller).

I find it's more resourceful overall also, not just for games & can be used in the dark for GUI use.[/QUOTE]

yeah ah the wii and PS-Move can do that also. in fact you can unplug the PS-Eye and still navigate the menu with the move controller.

maybe you should have said you can use voice controls for the GUI.

[QUOTE="THE FORS, post: 5262414]And that my friend is where you've so misguidedly pinpointed it's fault

THe tech behind it is impressive ,but to be touted as a generation changing advance in gaming... I've yet to be convinced[/QUOTE]

A depth sensing camera that don't recognize depth?

Last edited:

mikeghtmare

Elite Member
Dec 20, 2006
As I mentioned long ago, the problem with Kinect is that it's very limited about what you can do... maybe they will later on release a peripheral that can also get button presses so that you can add functionality that you cannot get with movement alone. We saw the PS eye try to do similar things in the past and they ended up in failures for the most part.

I'm sure it will still sell a lot just out of the cheer excitement from people, but IMHO the excitement will wear out and people will be left with a peripheral with very little support.

As a side note, I talked to some friends who work in a gaming company they said they have both the Kinect and the Move development kit and all 3 agreed that there is very little you can do with Kinect... their only complaint about Move was that it came a bit late into the game compared to Nintendo, but considering the long life-cycle PS usually has I don't think that would impact it too much.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="mikeghtmare, post: 5262522]As I mentioned long ago, the problem with Kinect is that it's very limited about what you can do... maybe they will later on release a peripheral that can also get button presses so that you can add functionality that you cannot get with movement alone. We saw the PS eye try to do similar things in the past and they ended up in failures for the most part.

I'm sure it will still sell a lot just out of the cheer excitement from people, but IMHO the excitement will wear out and people will be left with a peripheral with very little support.

As a side note, I talked to some friends who work in a gaming company they said they have both the Kinect and the Move development kit and all 3 agreed that there is very little you can do with Kinect... their only complaint about Move was that it came a bit late into the game compared to Nintendo, but considering the long life-cycle PS usually has I don't think that would impact it too much.[/QUOTE]
They probably all agreed that there was very little THEY could do with Kinect.

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006

It's good to want things. And I don't mean to be disrespectful when I say that because the ideas you have for Kinect's potential are great ideas and people always have these kinds of things in their minds when such tech is introduced, but who will be the first (if at all) to make good on it? One of the first things about Wii when it was shown was how great it would be for horror games using a flashlight. Yeah, Fatal Frame IV came early on but between that and Silent Hill, pretty much nothing... or nothing notable anyway. I still remember when people had ideas for shooters where someone could be low on ammo and you can do a gesture to toss an ammo clip their way, something that is very feasible with even just the Wii Remote alone, but nothing like that has been done yet.

Even with Move, probably the most ambitious thing I've seen is what we're seeing from Sorcery. Being able to cast two kinds of spells and mix them together for a more powerful spell and things of that sort is actually pretty cool. Some of the other concepts already exist to some degree, but something like that is what makes good on some of the lofty ideas people have. Personally, I think a Shadowgate style game would be perfect for Kinect... being able to reach into the environment to pick up items, manipulate them and use them to solve puzzles among other things. It all really depends on what you want to see and who is willing to put forth the effort to make it.