PS Vita 2 largely dismissed by Sony, take no accountability for PS Vita failing

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Sorry if that's not the exact title of the PSU article but I'm just telling it how it is:

The president of Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA) has downplayed the chances of seeing a PS Vita 2 release in the near future.

Speaking during an interview with Time, Shawn Layden, who replaced Jack Tretton in the role back in 2014, noted that PS Vita wasn’t able to reach mass market appeal in key markets such as North America and Western Europe. As such, the chances of seeing a successor to the handheld platform are looking increasingly slim.

"To be honest, the Vita just didn't reach critical mass in the US or Western Europe," said Layden. “I don't know if it was that it was more technology people had to carry around, or more things to charge, or whether their phone or tablet were taking care of that. But once the content slowed in that pipeline, it became hard to keep the Vita as a going concern."

Elsewhere, the executive applauded Nintendo’s efforts with the Switch, and suggested PlayStation and Nintendo gamers make up the bulk of the two-console family among consumers nowadays.

"It's definitely what that [Nintendo] fanbase has been waiting for," he said. "When you look at our numbers, I think it shows that a lot of gamers are a two-console family. And quite often those two consoles are PlayStation and Nintendo sitting side-by-side."

Layden’s comments probably won’t come as a surprise. Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida previously touched base on a potential PS Vita 2 back in September 2015, suggesting the market place was not healthy for a new handheld. That hasn’t stopped rumors from bubbling up ahead of E3 next week, which claim that Sony is prepping a new handheld to combat the Switch. We wouldn’t hold our breath, though.

The PS Vita launched in December 2011 in Japan and arrived in the U.S. and Europe the following spring. Despite seeing a strong lineup of exclusive software during its first 18 months, support quickly dried up for the system, although in recent times it has found success as a companion device to the PS4.
Source

I will never again purchase a handheld from Sony. They contributed to the death of the PS Vita themselves when they stopped supporting it with new games. Screw their "companion device" concept too. I'll much rather pick up a Switch to play on the go.

Last edited:

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
lol typical. Shit failed because they failed to support it themselves and they push the blame on other ends.
FU Sony. If you did your damn job you would've had a blooming device that'd still be for sale today in EU and would still get a bunch of amazing games all over.
It's just a dust eating thing now for most people.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Makes me laugh because it WAS Sony's fault the Vita failed because like it's been said they never supported it with new games! It could have been so much more had they just put a little more effort into it, doubt they will release another one as it probably won't sell very well due to their failings with the Vita!

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
In my time i have seen dozens of Nintendo hand helds but only 1 Sony hand held and that was the PSP about 12 years ago.

If you want a hand held you buy a Nintendo, its been that way foir more than 20 years and looks like always will.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah they are to blame for its failure. Ds doesn't have the same issue that vita had, devoted support of the platform. Also cost hurt too out of the gate.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
They're lucky the PS4 is selling so well and that they have a relatively affordable VR headset. I only hope they do a better job of supporting PS VR than they did PS Vita.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I seriously doubt it. I Don't really hahave be much faith in console companies to support side ventures unless it's a sure fire winner. Judy look at the track record. Unfortunately add ons like vr don't usually have wild success. Handhelds are a bit different because they are standalone but it won't survive if you don't show it love. Nintendo did and look how that panned out.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
The vita failed in an already declining market. Sony would do right to leave what remains of it to Nintendo, and instead focus in the home console segment. Maybe the true winner in all this was Microsoft for not investing in a handheld.

I don't see me purchasing an other handheld any time soon to be honest. Way too much entertainment in a phone for me.