Ps vita Memory cards.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
http://www.psu.com/E3-2011--Heres-w...idges,-memory-cards-look-like--a011977-p0.php
Looks like Kotaku has snapped some photos of the new proprietary PlayStation Vita game cards (as well as the flash memory cards), on display at E3.

The game cards are branded with the (surely placeholder) PlayStation logo, while the memory cards seem to vary in shape and size from regular SD flash memory cards.

The four Vita memory cards on display, from left to right, were 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB respectively.

Sony has been pretty tight-lipped about details on this new proprietary format, so it's nice to get look at what we can expect when the Vita launches.

S

Stig

I just can't wait because those card will hold so much more than even the DVDs of so many games so the stuff they will be able to cram on them is amazing to think about. Also the search times from the UMDs should be greatly reduced. Still, I wonder if the size of the game (and thus the size of the card) will affect the price of the game?

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
****ing hell man. Why can't Sony just quit being morons and jump on SDXC, or even SDHC? Even more reason to pass on this thing.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5573912]Money.. plain and simple. Licensing fees they get for each cart.[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah I know. I'm just voicing it out. It's always about money :(

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
They are not breaking any size barriers at only 32GB and I don't think they are going to break any speed barriers. They are the same size as M2 cards and share a similar appearance, in all likelihood they are just modified M2 cards with a slight change for large size (32GB) and/or added security.

If this is the case, which is likely since the PSPGo used M2 cards, they will likely be priced around the same as M2 cards, probably less than they are now given release is still 5 to 9 months away.

The MSRP and prices on websites such as SanDisk and SonyStyle will be high just as it is now with M2, MicroSDHC, SDHC and all other memory sticks; but they will likely be a lot cheaper through sites such as Amazon.

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5575205]I don't get what I am seeing? The big carts are the games and the two smaller ones are memory stick duo type cards but not? Are they M2 cards?[/QUOTE]

The bigger ones are game carts and the smaller ones are the memory sticks. The memory sticks are the same size as M2 cards but with a slightly different shape. It is very likely they are just M2 with slight modifications for added security.

Here is a link to some images of different memory cards including M2 cards (most are to scale) to see how they compare to others in size

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_memory_cards

Jun 1, 2007
Going cartridge based is great. Much more durable media format, and if I'm not mistaken, the new cart can hold more data than a UMD.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="Insanehead, post: 5575400]Going cartridge based is great. Much more durable media format, and if I'm not mistaken, the new cart can hold more data than a UMD.[/QUOTE]

For it's time tho, UMB with it's 1.8GB had never been seen on a handheld before. These new cartridges will probably start around 2GB in storage and go from there.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5575409]For it's time tho, UMB with it's 1.8GB had never been seen on a handheld before. These new cartridges will probably start around 2GB in storage and go from there.[/QUOTE]
The reason you'd never seen it before is because it wasn't necessary, and throughout the PSP life, it hasn't ever been necessary.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
They dont own SDXC or MicroSD, even the Memory stick stuff requires someone other than sony getting a fee for it's use. These new cards are likely developed by SCE so they can control the license fees. It's also possible that they have some sort of copy protection built in that regular cards dong have.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I'm more interested in allowing the use of sd cards, high capacity of course, for user added storage. I don't want to have to buy some proprietary memory module that will only be good in one device.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
We knew about this a while back - nice to get a look at the design though now. Seems basic as usual. But the prices on these things I fear will be extortionate.

Overall Sony have done the right thing by not including Flash memory for cost reasons but it seems these memory cards will still end up costing the user a high-sum. I hope not though.