PS Vita sales continue to drop to worryingly low levels

May 20, 2008
Another drop in sales. People are still buying the PSP over vita..What the hell!
PlayStation Vita sales continue to drop in Japan, the latest figures showing less than 20,000 units were sold in the past week.From 9 January to 15 January, Media Create figures show that 18,361 units were sold. That's a drop of over 50% compared to the previous week in which 42,648 units were purchased.Four weeks worth of sales numbers are currently available, with each successive week painting an ever more worrying picture. In week one the system shifted 324,859 units, which was followed by a drop in week two to 72,479.Last week's 18k units meant the system sold less than the PSP, which saw over 22,500 sales.The full list of Media Create hardware sales numbers for 9-15 Jan as follows:
  • 1. Nintendo 3DS: 100,668 (197,952)
  • 2. Sony PS3: 30,332 (67,199)
  • 3. Sony PSP: 22,538 (62,746)
  • 4. Sony PS Vita: 18,361 (42,648)
  • 5. Nintendo Wii: 14,179 (33,208)
  • 6. Nintendo DSi LL: 1,515 (3,356)
  • 7. Microsoft X360: 1,519 (2,453)
  • 8. Nintendo DSi: 1,206 (2,418)
  • 9. Sony PS2: 766 (1,659)
http://www.incgamers.com/News/30194/ps-vita-sales-continue-to-drop-to-worryingly-low-levels

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Does not matter really. Once it releases in the states the numbers will shoot to #1.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Inzane2050, post: 5751619]Japanese launch + western launch titles = this.

Once the Japanese games come to NGP, it will get better.[/QUOTE]

No doubt.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 5751617]Another drop in sales. People are still buying the PSP over vita..What the hell!
[/QUOTE]

Price + games... same as last week. Same as next week. Once the price + games is worth it, the JPN market will pick up.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
SONY really should have expected this with releasing games that dont really interest Japanese gamers.

Its funny when large multi million businesses make mistakes like this.

A new monster hunter or something should have been made instead of uncharted( BECAUSE the game is released in japan first, uncharted, mainly popular in western countries, would do better in america/europe)

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
18,361 is worryingly low levels, I remember the PS3 hitting below 10.000
But games are needed, damn only 1 franchise with loads of sequels will do.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Yeap, they definitely need content that appeals to the specific market.

TA-Pa-Ta-Pa-Tapatalk

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5751642]Price + games... same as last week. Same as next week. Once the price + games is worth it, the JPN market will pick up.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Its the same thing that happened to the 3DS. How do people not see this?/?

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Ohhh another one of these threads huh Whyyyy oh whhhhhyyy Sony!? It doesn't make any sense to me!? Why are Vita sales dropping in the sole country it has released in when it has content more geared towards western gamers!? As I have said in the other such threads:

western launch + upcoming launch window games (LBP,MNR, Mortal Kombat, Assassins Creed, Resistance, Call of Duty, MLB: The Game) = big sales.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Ghost-Rhayne, post: 5751853]Ohhh another one of these threads huh Whyyyy oh whhhhhyyy Sony!? It doesn't make any sense to me!? Why are Vita sales dropping in the sole country it has released in when it has content more geared towards western gamers!? As I have said in the other such threads:western launch + upcoming launch window games (LBP,MNR, Mortal Kombat, Assassins Creed, Resistance, Call of Duty, MLB: The Game) = big sales.[/QUOTE]I totally agree. But hey, some people like beating a dead horse I guess.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="coolguy, post: 5751868]they just need more games for the vita and it will sell more. and may be a price drop.
but the western launch has nothing to do with the japan market[/QUOTE]

This.

nickrobbins

Superior Member
Jan 12, 2009
Shropshire
I don't see why people seem to think the games that are out with the vita are a problem here.... they have uncharted, should be a system seller, wipeout is a japanesey type of game (imo), they also have little deviants which should appeal to them. I personally think this is down to a mixture of marketing and the people over their not having the money for it.

Mike_Harradence

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
Jun 24, 2007
Reading, UK
www.psu.com
The numbers aren't surprising to me - disappointing, yes - but not surprising. The launch line-up is extremely solid but definitely not as strong as it could be for the Japanese market.

Monster Hunter would obviously stimulate sales by a huge margin, but honestly, it doesn't need MH; just some great RPGs and some 'quirky' stuff the Japanese always go in for. MH would be the icing on the cake. Right now, PSP has all of those, so punters probably aren't fussed with forking out for a Vita.

I have no doubt that things will be another kettle of fish in Europe and the U.S., however. Aside from the fact you can't draw conclusions for western success based on Japanese figures, the line-up is superb -- Uncharted for example will no doubt go down a storm.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
[QUOTE="nickrobbins, post: 5752026]I don't see why people seem to think the games that are out with the vita are a problem here.... they have uncharted, should be a system seller, wipeout is a japanesey type of game (imo), they also have little deviants which should appeal to them. I personally think this is down to a mixture of marketing and the people over their not having the money for it.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted sells OK in Japan, would never consider it a system seller. Wipeout has never sold well in Japan..

Don't mean to be overly pessimistic but even over here I don't think Uncharted will move that many systems

Nov 23, 2005
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5752707]There are some huge problems that can't be just spun away.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the empty statement. Now would you kindly enlighten us a little more on what those ''huge problems'' are?

B

benjiro

The problem with people assuming that the Launch in the EU/US will be better, because of one title, is already doomed by itself.

Most of the titles you see on the Vita, are well ... rehashed games that already exist on other platforms or even on the old PSP.

My expectations for the Vita is the same: First few days, big sale. People here crying out in joy: "See, we told you, ..." But after the initial hardcore buyers have filled there quote, i expect to see a massive drop also in sales.

The price is a pain point these days. The 3DS just dominates the Vita, on this point. Not just with cheaper console, but also more games, more discounted games, not extreme memory prices, and a now several "system seller" games.

Uncharted that is being mentioned several times as the big game on the Vita, has a few problems. Its short ( from what i have read ), combined with a premium price tag + all the expensive Vita/Memory card debate. Take in account, anybody with a PS3 can pick up a copy of the other Uncharted games for a fraction of the price. One can even buy a PS3, with more games, then it takes to buy a Vita+Memory+1 Game.

Technically, Sony is even competing with itself. Hell, one can even go out and buy a xbox360, and get much more cheaper games also.

The main advantage of the Vita is the fact its a portable gaming system, but then we move again into the other competition market, those smartphones / tables. Sure, they do not give the same gaming experience, but ...

And another competitor that may drop the Vita's sales: The nasty rumor that in February the iPad3 will be announced. With sales in March. If anybody buys a Vita on 22 Feb, they are out something like 300 to 350$. That's a lot of money people can NOT spend on a brand new iPad3.

A iPad3 that by the way, is probably going to be also a quad core system. And given that Apple has the habit of increasing its graphical capacity by double, on each iPad, there is a big change that it will be able to produce graphics like the Vita. With the only lacking point, the controls ...

If you add all this up, its clear that the hardcore buyers will make for a great launch, but after that... When it comes down to the casual buyers. Personally: While i will love to have a Vita, i rather buy a iPad3 ( and i hate apple product in general ). That is saying a lot... There is more, "value" in a iPad3, then in the Vita.

Just my opinion, but ... If Sony does not get off there behinds, and takes action, before or right after the launch, they will be facing a LONG time selling with competition from all sides, while they have one hand tied behind there backs.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5752729]The problem with people assuming that the Launch in the EU/US will be better, because of one title, is already doomed by itself.

Most of the titles you see on the Vita, are well ... rehashed games that already exist on other platforms or even on the old PSP.

My expectations for the Vita is the same: First few days, big sale. People here crying out in joy: "See, we told you, ..." But after the initial hardcore buyers have filled there quote, i expect to see a massive drop also in sales.

The price is a pain point these days. The 3DS just dominates the Vita, on this point. Not just with cheaper console, but also more games, more discounted games, not extreme memory prices, and a now several "system seller" games.

Uncharted that is being mentioned several times as the big game on the Vita, has a few problems. Its short ( from what i have read ), combined with a premium price tag + all the expensive Vita/Memory card debate. Take in account, anybody with a PS3 can pick up a copy of the other Uncharted games for a fraction of the price. One can even buy a PS3, with more games, then it takes to buy a Vita+Memory+1 Game.

Technically, Sony is even competing with itself. Hell, one can even go out and buy a xbox360, and get much more cheaper games also.

The main advantage of the Vita is the fact its a portable gaming system, but then we move again into the other competition market, those smartphones / tables. Sure, they do not give the same gaming experience, but ...

And another competitor that may drop the Vita's sales: The nasty rumor that in February the iPad3 will be announced. With sales in March. If anybody buys a Vita on 22 Feb, they are out something like 300 to 350$. That's a lot of money people can NOT spend on a brand new iPad3.

A iPad3 that by the way, is probably going to be also a quad core system. And given that Apple has the habit of increasing its graphical capacity by double, on each iPad, there is a big change that it will be able to produce graphics like the Vita. With the only lacking point, the controls ...

If you add all this up, its clear that the hardcore buyers will make for a great launch, but after that... When it comes down to the casual buyers. Personally: While i will love to have a Vita, i rather buy a iPad3 ( and i hate apple product in general ). That is saying a lot... There is more, "value" in a iPad3, then in the Vita.

Just my opinion, but ... If Sony does not get off there behinds, and takes action, before or right after the launch, they will be facing a LONG time selling with competition from all sides, while they have one hand tied behind there backs.[/QUOTE]

A lot great points. Good post.