PS Vita sales continue to drop to worryingly low levels

Jan 20, 2012
Hi i am new to this forum, and i have been reading threads and comments on it for ages. As an argument to users debating the fututre succes of the ps vita, i would like to post my experience and thoughts of it.

I am playing Uncharted, MvC, and Little Deviants. i Ripped an mp4 movie on to it recently and the quality was amazing, i can't wait for uk psn store to open up on 15th February, i hope they add the Uk Netflix App to the vita aswell. The Media state that gaming is and will be done on Tablets, Phones etc. (what sort of tablets and phones are they using.) I have a smartphone, and i try to avoid gaming on it as much as i can, because it absolutely destroys the battery, and i need the battery for connectivity and phonecalls.

when i do game on it, the whole experience lasts approx 10 mins before i get bored with basic games, 15-20 mins on a premium game before i get fustrated with the touch controls, and worry about the draining battery. i play the vita on the bus, on the tube, in the park! and at home when the tv is unavailable for me because of horrible programs like (big brother, teen mum, kardashians, ETC!)

There are are a few things that sony could improve on the vita and make it more media and social friendly, which i hope they will with updates, it is still better than the 3DS media capabilites. As a gaming console, this is a beast. i dont believe Japan has given up on the vita (sales), just as they didn't give up on the 3ds when it was selling badly. The psp is outselling the vita in the same way the ds was outselling 3ds, and look at the ds and 3ds numbers now. they are just waiting for a price cut, as it costs them more than what the UK/EU and the US are getting it for, and a (japan) system selling game, as at the moment they dont really have one.

P.S
I Spent 2 Hours playing Uncharted in bed last night on the Vita before i turned round to see my wife giving me that awfull (if you dont put this down, i will break it!)Look. :mad:

Last edited:
B

benjiro

[QUOTE="sebastian uk, post: 5752735]
I Spent 2 Hours playing Uncharted in bed last night on the Vita before i turned round to see my wife giving me that awfull (if you dont put this down, i will break it!)Look. :mad:[/QUOTE]

*haha*

To answer / agree some of your questions.

Touchscreen playing for games that are more typical console like, is a lot more harder ( no tactical feedback, sticky fingers on your screen etc ).

I agree that the lack of controls on a table/smartphone is a issue. The question becomes, long much longer?

I don't know if a lot of people here know, but some Chinese Manufactures are already jumping into this hole: jxd-s7100. That is just one, there are a few more like this already out there.

Tables already with controls on them. Sure, they are just low level Chinese gadgets but its a trend i feel we are moving to.

You mentioned converting movies to mp4. This alone is what people call a annoyance. Typical Sony at its best. Instead of allowing .mkv, etc they are again forcing people to do more work, while the system is just a typical ARM based system. Its perfectly able to run any media format trow at it. But Sony again, limits the experience that people have.

Nobody is going to say the quality is not good. Even my old PSP had good video quality. But from a media player point of view, its really lacking. How about hopping onto your Wifi Network, and just seeing any movie in your media collection? I expect you will run into problems => not supported without conversion.

How is the .flac support on the Vita? I'm going to bet, without even looking it up => none-existing.

That is a part of the problem. Sony not only markets it as a gaming console, but also as a media device. Probably as a misbegotten attempt to draw in more people from the smartphone/table market. Yet, most of the media on it is restricted. Movie playback needs to be in Sony approved format. Music playback is limited to again, a limited few. That is one of the problems i had with the PS3. For a console, you ended up with the need to do more work, then the machine actually doing it for you.

The drain batter argument is a bit strange in my ears. The Vita has a ... 2200mAh battery or something like that? Even my "old" HD2, has only a 1270mAh battery, and it can run PS1 emulated games for a hour and half ( at minimum ). Stick in a upgrade battery like 3600mAh, and it can run laps around the Vita's playtime *lol*

The moment you have a company like apple, releasing a iPad3/4/5 whatever, with some kind of controls build in, it will almost cripple the handheld console market. In my eyes, its not even that complicated. If Chinese companies can do it, big companies like Apple, HTC, etc can also do it.

Like you said, part of the problem for smartphones / tables, is the lack of controls. There is only one smartphone out here, and that is Sony's Xperia Play. In other words, i suspect they also know where the market is going to in the future. Why even use typical smartphone/table cpu/gpu, because it allows them to port games from the Vita, to this market in the future.

The market is moving very fast. From 2008, i notice how the smartphone, and following table market, expanded, and pushed technology at a extreme rate.

This creates the problem, that the almost dedicated handheld is facing a ever changing market. My future prediction on this part, is that withing a year, we will see Vita like graphics or better, in the Smartphone/Table market, with a high change that there are going to release also more "console" like smartphone/tables.

Like with a lot of technology, its behind the fact. When the Vita was announced last year. I was revolutionary. My god, quad core system... Droool ... But the time it took between announcement, and actual sales, ... the other markets already played the catch up game. From a technology point of view, the Vita is looking at being "old" within a year.

If Sony wants a good change, it needs to really deal with the price problem. And i expect, that the Vita is not going to make as much profit ( for Sony over time ), in comparisons to a market without these smartphones/tables.

Jan 20, 2012
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5752750]*haha*

Touchscreen playing for games that are more typical console like, is a lot more harder ( no tactical feedback, sticky fingers on your screen etc ).

I agree that the lack of controls on a table/smartphone is a issue. The question becomes, long much longer?

I don't know if a lot of people here know, but some Chinese Manufactures are already jumping into this hole: jxd-s7100. That is just one, there are a few more like this already out there.

Tables already with controls on them. Sure, they are just low level Chinese gadgets but its a trend i feel we are moving to.

You mentioned converting movies to mp4. This alone is what people call a annoyance. Typical Sony at its best. Instead of allowing .mkv, etc they are again forcing people to do more work, while the system is just a typical ARM based system. Its perfectly able to run any media format trow at it. But Sony again, limits the experience that people have.

Nobody is going to say the quality is not good. Even my old PSP had good video quality. But from a media player point of view, its really lacking. How about hopping onto your Wifi Network, and just seeing any movie in your media collection? I expect you will run into problems => not supported without conversion.

How is the .flac support on the Vita? I'm going to bet, without even looking it up => none-existing.

That is a part of the problem. Sony not only markets it as a gaming console, but also as a media device. Probably as a misbegotten attempt to draw in more people from the smartphone/table market. Yet, most of the media on it is restricted. Movie playback needs to be in Sony approved format. Music playback is limited to again, a limited few. That is one of the problems i had with the PS3. For a console, you ended up with the need to do more work, then the machine actually doing it for you.

The drain batter argument is a bit strange in my ears. The Vita has a ... 2200mAh battery or something like that? Even my "old" HD2, has only a 1270mAh battery, and it can run PS1 emulated games for a hour and half ( at minimum ). Stick in a upgrade battery like 3600mAh, and it can run laps around the Vita's playtime *lol*

The moment you have a company like apple, releasing a iPad3/4/5 whatever, with some kind of controls build in, it will almost cripple the handheld console market. In my eyes, its not even that complicated. If Chinese companies can do it, big companies like Apple, HTC, etc can also do it.

Like you said, part of the problem for smartphones / tables, is the lack of controls. There is only one smartphone out here, and that is Sony's Xperia Play. In other words, i suspect they also know where the market is going to in the future. Why even use typical smartphone/table cpu/gpu, because it allows them to port games from the Vita, to this market in the future.

The market is moving very fast. From 2008, i notice how the smartphone, and following table market, expanded, and pushed technology at a extreme rate.

This creates the problem, that the almost dedicated handheld is facing a ever changing market. My future prediction on this part, is that withing a year, we will see Vita like graphics or better, in the Smartphone/Table market, with a high change that there are going to release also more "console" like smartphone/tables.

Like with a lot of technology, its behind the fact. When the Vita was announced last year. I was revolutionary. My god, quad core system... Droool ... But the time it took between announcement, and actual sales, ... the other markets already played the catch up game. From a technology point of view, the Vita is looking at being "old" within a year.

If Sony wants a good change, it needs to really deal with the price problem. And i expect, that the Vita is not going to make as much profit ( for Sony over time ), in comparisons to a market without these smartphones/tables.[/QUOTE]

i totally agree that Sony are really bad at supporting multi codecs in thier phones/tablets and mp3's. come to think of it, i myself only came across one company that supports multi codecs, (samsung).
It is a hassle converting an mkv or an avi to mp4, but it's not as bad as it used to be :).

I generally think that sony and other big companies can give us a totally multifunctional device, but the fact is, they dont want to. they have a vast number of different devices from tablets to mp3s to cameras etc. and giving consumers a one do it all device, might create problems for thier other devces that they are currently selling. (i genuinely believe that's how they think.) so i, for now! will accept the ps vita as mainly a gaming device, and no other product i own (mp3, xperia ray, an e reader:snicker) gives me that type of gaming immersion as a ps vita.

I have to admit that i dont reallly like multi/all devices. as they still dont really do things aswell as seperate built devices, i had a samsung galaxy s2 but due to ps vita. i got myself a much smaller samrtphone (makes sense:rolleyes:).

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
Why do people think Uncharted is a system seller? It isn't. This bad boy's gonna flop like a fish out of water.

And I'm still buying one.

ddPLaNeT

Forum Elder
Apr 7, 2008
Montreal
I agree that smartphones are taking a chunk of the dedicated handhelds but for me, smartphone gaming is crap and i just recently bought an iPhone 4s and have like 6 games on it like Fifa, Rage, Asphalt (racing game)... i kinda regret the fact that i bought these games even if they were .99 only. Fifa with my huge fingers on the screen is not visible anymore and most of all, it's damn frustrating playing those... Other than puzzle, trivia or board games, nothing is playable on a smartphone.

I very often like to play games before i fall asleep on my bed. I still use my PSP for that, games like resident evil, Ridge Racer and little big planet are so much more fun with buttons and a clear view on my screen...

People who buy the iPad are not the people who will play big games on it and those same people would probably never buy a dedicated gaming handheld, so that's pretty much pointless.

The price and software is what stopping Vita now, but i'm sure that'll be fixed with time... it's really a nice device once you've seen it and great to hold, feels solid !

Last edited:

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
[QUOTE="snooper71, post: 5752718]Thanks for the empty statement. Now would you kindly enlighten us a little more on what those ''huge problems'' are?[/QUOTE]

Price out the door - 350 US with tax, uncharted and a memory card
Can get a console out the door cheaper
Competition from Tablets, both 6bill+ ipads and 2bill fires and nooks; prevalence of smart phones
50 dollar Uncharted, an Uncharted came out 3 months ago
Playstation diminishing brand in the US
Feb release
Who is going to buy this until the fall price break other than us suckers the first couple weeks?
Browser and Media player seems to be as gimped as ever
Economy continues to suck

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="tbx59, post: 5753328]Price out the door - 350 US with tax, uncharted and a memory card
Can get a console out the door cheaper
Competition from Tablets, both 6bill+ ipads and 2bill fires and nooks; prevalence of smart phones
50 dollar Uncharted, an Uncharted came out 3 months ago
Playstation diminishing brand in the US
Feb release
Who is going to buy this until the fall price break other than us suckers the first couple weeks?
Browser and Media player seems to be as gimped as ever
Economy continues to suck[/QUOTE]

I agree with all but the "suckers" part; since I'm getting two on day 1. :snicker

XSpike

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2005
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5752729]The price is a pain point these days. The 3DS just dominates the Vita, on this point.[/QUOTE]

How people forget that the 3DS got released at a higher/same price as the PSVita. Sony could of released a PSP with dual analog sticks and released it for cheap but gamers want improvements and something noticeable so we get the PSVita. People say "but its almost the same price as a PS3" Well its cheaper to produce a 6 year old PS3 then the 0year old PSVita which produces graphics pretty close to current-gen consoles.

Nintendo was only able to reduce the 3DS price by 40% because they released it with such a high profit margin, it only produces graphics of say the Xbox so of course the thing is a lot cheaper.

The PSV will probably do pretty poorly outside of japan until some good games like CoD (not my fav but people love it) and highly praised titles. Japan won't kick off till a good RPG comes out

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5752750]*haha*

If Sony wants a good change, it needs to really deal with the price problem. And i expect, that the Vita is not going to make as much profit ( for Sony over time ), in comparisons to a market without these smartphones/tables.[/QUOTE]
Tables aren't a viable portable gaming platform though, first off they aren't very portable, you can get some that you can fold the legs on but then the quality/sturdiness of the product drops considerably, secondly the OS is terrible no icons, no navigation, nothing, just a wallpaper with a wood effect, thirdly James Hetfield just isn't that cool anymore.

B

benjiro

[QUOTE="XSpike, post: 5753372]How people forget that the 3DS got released at a higher/same price as the PSVita. Sony could of released a PSP with dual analog sticks and released it for cheap but gamers want improvements and something noticeable so we get the PSVita. People say "but its almost the same price as a PS3" Well its cheaper to produce a 6 year old PS3 then the 0year old PSVita which produces graphics pretty close to current-gen consoles.[/QUOTE]

True, it is cheaper to produce a 6 year old console now, then it was 6 years ago. But ... its not about that, now is it? Its about what people are TODAY willing to pay for there gadgets.

And lets face it, the Vita is a Gadget, its a today, with almost no added bonus on top. It plays movies, but you need to convert them, it only plays limited music formats, and the browser is ... well, not exactly great, and lets not forget, you can only run the software that Sony builds for it.

If you compare it to something like a Table... The browser is much better, bigger screen = more productivity, capable of running almost ANY software, ... and sure, it plays games, maybe not on the Vita's level without the controls, but it does play games at rather good graphics.

Its clear just from the Japanese Sales numbers, and how each way they drop with large amounts, that the actual buyers disagree with you.

Also, do not forget, those Japanese Sales numbers, also include people from Western Countries of in China, buying those exported Vita's!! That is what make those numbers even worse.

And the split between the Wifi <=> 3G model, is also not good. 3G module cost maybe 5 dollars at best ( in parts ). To me, this was a mistake.

To me, if your system can only sell descent amounts, with what is called a "killer" game, then you have a marketing problem. The fact that you say, that the sales will not kick off, until there is a good RPG, is so stereotypical. Its like saying, Japanese will not buy any gaming product without a RPG. If this is a fact, that it just amplifies Sony's mistake to launch first in Japan, without a (J)RPG.

And in these discussion, we also let out a important somebody. The PSP... Its still outselling the Vita despite being on the market for so long.

To me, it looks like the Japanese market has lost its momentum already. Even with a sales outside of Japan. When the 3DS got it mass momentum last December, in Japan again, it was not because of one game, but they released several games at the same time.

One JRPG is not going to make the mass sales in Japan, nor is just CoD going to make the mass sales. Especially when a lot of people have consoles at home, where they already have CoD etc on it. Even more so, if those games are just copies of there home console counterpart.

When you see the future game list, there are plenty of games, that are going to come out on the Vita & PS3. That actually reduces the content of the Vita. Why spend 250$ + memory card on a handheld, when i can just buy the game, and play it at home...

Its all about added value. When i started reading how the system was locked down again, Sony selects things for you, etc etc, i already knew this was going to bring problems on the content level. PSP deja vu. And that does not work so good anymore in today's market.

To me, Sony is acting like it always acted, but it forgets that the market has changed massively, compared to 10 years ago. Its like those Piratebay, Megaupload etc situations. We get these things, as a result that people are not willing to pay the prices that the Industry wants. If there is one thing you see flying around, is the "they are old fashioned, they don't go with the times, people are not willing to pay so much anymore", etc arguments.

To me, Sony falls into that category. They are the embodiment of this old fashion way of thinking: "We will provide the content, and you will like it!". They always have had this problem. Almost all there product rely on DRM, or other proprietary techniques to try and keep there clients in line, locked to them, ...

This entire Storage Card snafu, ... i mean, this is typical Sony. Not only is the card proprietary, its also 3 times as expensive. Thank you Sony. Typical. Was it so hard for them to just us SD? Like almost everybody else in the world? They just can not do it, its almost like admitting defeat to them. They not even used there own "older" proprietary cards, because for those the prices are now much lower.This entire problem with prices & compatibility, can have been avoided from the start, yet ... here we are AGAIN. Deja Vu.

We shall see what the future brings, but i said it a thousand time already. Sony needs to act before. I really, really have the feeling of PSP all over again. So, for any person with this feeling, experience, they are just better of waiting for the Vita v2, with more games, lower price, etc. In other words, when Sony finally wakes up because they get pressure from the developers.

Do not forget, those developers that makes games. Sell a game on a console with a few million potential customers, ... Or wait until there are more units sold. For them, this is a currently loos loos situation. if it takes too long to get momentum, the games they have developed, will be sold at discount prices ( at that moment in time ), = less profit.

Without momentum, you run the risk that developers will bring out very short game or limited games ( what we actually do see on the Vita. Ridge Racer is like a demo ). Now, those same short or limited games, ... customers hear this, and say: Why pay 50$ for a game, that's not worth the money. And people don't buy, the console get a bad reputation, and you get customers who never end up buying the console. This is the typical casual customer, and they are the mass market.

Its a vicious circle. I had something like this also happen in the past, in a company that i worked at. I told the bosses, times and times again: We are in a vicious circle, that just keeps spiraling out of control. Unless we break this circle effect, the sales are going to go down, we are going to lose customers, people are going to complain more and more, and your own employees are going to quit. Well, 2 years later, from a company with 13 ( highly motivated people ) ( not counting boss ), this is now a 2 person company, that only keeps there old website's up & running ( all those motivated people left, totally disappointed ). They ( management ) never took proper action, and disregarded the warning signs. There own fault.

Sony is a bit different, because at some point, they will take action. But in general, Sony really has the attitude to wait, until they are almost falling into the abyss. Seen this so many times before with Sony.

We shall see in the future, but i highly doubt that one game is going to make the big difference. Its going to be a combination of actions, that will bring the Vita the right momentum on the casual gaming market.