PS3 - Games Console or Media Center?

Dec 11, 2005
When it launches, what do you think the PS3 will be capable of?

1) Games console, DVD and CD player. Basically what the PS2 can do.
2) Full media center. Can play all sorts of formats (audio - .wav, .mp3, .ogg. Video - .avi, .mpg, .mp4 etc. Photos - .jpeg, .gif, .bmp etc.). Can also surf the internet and install programs and customise them just like a Linux computer would do. Use things like Open Office etc.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
SONY are clearly not marketing this as "just a games console", but nor will it be capable of playing any all those media formats or installing other stuff ad-hoc. Somewhere in-between then.

I wonder how long people sit there thinking of new threads to come up with just for the sake of posting something?!

Firefox

Master Sage
Jan 7, 2006
Canada
Did you see Masa Chatani's part of the e3 presentation? If you did, then you definetly
know that ps3 will be nothing but a media machine

S

St Jude

I'm gonna go with Kutaragi's "Entertainment Super-Computer" statement... :lol:

The only solely gaming machine will be the Revolution...360 is a multimedia centre...

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
firefox said:
Did you see Masa Chatani's part of the e3 presentation? If you did, then you definetly
Being "nothing but a media machine" does not mean it will play every format and allow anything to be installed and run and customised. That would make it a personal computer, which is almost certainly isn't.

The PS3 is a games console first and foremost. The limited media capabilities are there purely to broaden the marketing demographic and attract a wider range of potential buyers. Hence, it's somewhere in-between.

Silas

Forum Elder
Dec 19, 2005
They are trying the same thing as with the PSP, making it MORE than a games console.

S

Spike1977UK

:shock: Mixed views at the moment, I think that the PS3 will be a mixture, a very very powerful games machine, a media centre and a open OS.

The OS will be loaded from a browser, thus not hogging memory and access the other settings via the same browser like the PSP.

I am using my PSP to do this reply, boy would it be nice to have a keyboard and mouse ;)

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
Hey there:
PS3 will be for sure a playing machine...or a media center...maybe an in between would be the best thing to say here. But with support of the PSP and linux OS it must be like a portable media center :lol:
OVER.

See ya!

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Steroyd said:
How about a Games console that is a media centre.
I agree with this dude right here. Let's just call it a 'Next-Gen' console.. because of the trend that's set by all consoles of this coming generation that they are becoming media centres.

Jan 1, 2006
Its not a PC, thats the first thing to note. Its not going to have your spreadsheets, word programs, etc. and you aren't going to be able to install programs.

It IS a media center, by my definition. It will almost certainly be capable of playing the widest range of media of any console to date. But it is clearly the most powerful gaming console to date with interesting input devices (Eyetoy chiefly)...so the answer is, its both. Or neither. Something else. Whatever it is, I want one now ;)

Goldfiinger

Elite Member
Aug 15, 2005
www.the3rdplace.co.uk
Graham said:
firefox said:
Being "nothing but a media machine" does not mean it will play every format and allow anything to be installed and run and customised. That would make it a personal computer, which is almost certainly isn't.

The PS3 is a games console first and foremost. The limited media capabilities are there purely to broaden the marketing demographic and attract a wider range of potential buyers. Hence, it's somewhere in-between.
Im hoping it will allow things to be installed like 3rd party programes. Im hoping it will be very much like a personal computer done Sony style !

Remember they are planing a Workstation so why wouldnt the PS3 be able to run 3rd party programes much like Windows does ?

Its powerful enough why wouldnt they let it happen ?

YamNivek

Superior Member
Dec 13, 2005
Goldfiinger said:
Im hoping it will allow things to be installed like 3rd party programes. Im hoping it will be very much like a personal computer done Sony style !

Remember they are planing a Workstation so why wouldnt the PS3 be able to run 3rd party programes much like Windows does ?

Its powerful enough why wouldnt they let it happen ?
They wouldnt let it happen because of the security risks associated with it. The same way the Xbox runs a version of windows, yet you cant install MS Office on that. Sony wouldnt let they're system be comprimised like that.

Its not a question of power either as the playstation one has enough power to run Linux and OpenOffice

Goldfiinger

Elite Member
Aug 15, 2005
www.the3rdplace.co.uk
They wouldnt let it happen because of the security risks associated with it. The same way the Xbox runs a version of windows, yet you cant install MS Office on that. Sony wouldnt let they're system be comprimised like that.

Its not a question of power either as the playstation one has enough power to run Linux and OpenOffice
LMAO

U cant run programes on the 360 because then people will stop buying PC ! Microsoft wouldnt like that would they...

Sony however hasnt got any problems with taking market share away from PC users and allowing users to run programes on the PS3.

Security has come along way since the days of PS1. If the linux and games side are indivual to each other there wouldnt be any secruity risks to the gaming worlds. Windows is pretty secure now adays and it wouldnt take much for Sony to get a secrue OS. I hope thats what they give us but hey who knows watch this space.

Please dont kid ur self tho and think the reason the 360 hasnt got more features is anything but Microsoft not wanting to eat into its PC market.

Microsfot wants u to own a highend PC and a xbox 360. Sony is going to offer a PS3 with simlar features as both.

Naboomagnoli

Master Poster
Dec 17, 2005
Even if you can't install something like MS Office onto your PC, I could definitely see something online being usable. For example, any e-mail system includes a basic Notepad style text editor - some have things like font, colour changes, and other simple formatting choices. I'd be surprised if, with both consoles being able to use keyboards and the PS3 being talked of as a substitute for PC's, there wasn't something like a simple spreadsheet or publishing programme that you could run in a similar way within the next 5 years.

MajesticEdge

Superior Member
Jun 17, 2005
www.di.fm
I voted for Media Center because when you think about it, videogames is media. Interactive Media would be the more exact phrase but it is media. Somewhere in between would be more like the PS2, which played videogames, but also CDs and DVDs. The PS3 can play games, but CDs, BD-DVDs, DVR etc etc etc.

Dec 23, 2005
i believe this topic has been discussed before. sony plans for the ps3 to be the center of the "living room" environment.

Dec 19, 2005
turkmen117 said:
Ken kutaragi himself said that he didnt want to call the playstation3 a gaming console
If you go to Sony's website, you will see that they still refer to the PS2 as a "Computer Entertainment System"

http://www.us.playstation.com/peripherals.aspx

I think the PS3 is, at its core, a gaming platform. The hard drive is what gives you PC-like functionality. That's why the HDD was optional in the 360- because, while handy, a hard drive really wasn't deemed essential for playing console games. (MS not having the HDD as standard helps Sony too, as they can now get away with making the hard drive an add-on).

I dont know how much PC functionality i would want in my PS3. I would draw the line at free-range web surfing; i really don't want to get console-specific viruses from browsing to some website and trying to stream a movie. Also, why would you need to surf the web with a control pad if you have a PC that does the job better, with fewer limitations?

Trakdown

Superior Member
Jan 30, 2006
Doesn't it depend on what we do with it? I mean, you can play games on a PSP and/or you can watch movies and listen to music.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Final Fantasy XI Producer Hiromichi Tanaka has revealed that the publisher at one stage approached Sony in regards to developing a PlayStation 3 port of the popular MMO title.

“Initially we were in talks with a representative from Sony, but it appears that that person quit,” Tanaka told 1up.com.

Despite this, Tanaka noted that it would be highly problematic to get the PlayStation 2 version of the game working on current PS3 console due to the fact they lack the necessary emulation software. He also revealed it would not be possible to circumvent the issue by way of digital distribution.

“Current PS3s don't have PS3-side PS2 emulation, and it doesn't look like Sony has any plans to address that issue. For that kind of thing to even be conceivable, it would have to be on a disc. Digital downloads wouldn't work for this. The disc has to be in the system for the emulator to work,” he explained.

Final Fantasy XI hit Japanese PS2’s in 2002, with North America receiving the game two years later. An Xbox 360 port turned up in 2006.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32645/Square- ... FXI-on-PS3