Ps3 Need in-Game XMB **Reason**

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogg2k78

Dedicated Member
Nov 20, 2006
The other nite I was playing NBA 2k8 and my friend emailed on the PSn,,so i quit my game to check the message. Then I email him back and i wait for a response, he doesn't respond so i get ready to jump back into NBA 2k8. As soon as I jump back into 2k8he pm's me so i just hit the PS button before the game loads and quit the game. Well the game quit, but when it went to the XMB all it showed was the wallpaper and nothing else. SO I turn off the PS3 and turned it back on and it said restablishing database. I thought it was going to erase everything so I was getting pissed. When it finished doing that everything came back up with no problem and all my things were still on the PS3, except for all the emails I had on the Ps3. I can live with out that, but to avoid a scare like that again they really need to release in-XMB.

Has this happened to anyone else that was the first for me and I have had my Ps3 since day one of release.

pinkflamingoes

Superior Member
Mar 16, 2008
England
Thats never happened to me but i have had the whole msged then having to go out of my game to read it. espesh on cod4 which seriously needs some kind of thing to fix this! its well annoying! i mean army of two has it and its online feature is ****e!

StrifeTribal

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
I agree I personally think this is killing PSN. I Don't want to exit my game to see my friend saying "yo you up for Warhawk tonight?"

And I can be like "Yeah see you there."

Jump back into the game I just got out of. It shouldn't be that hard to run XMB in-game, lets hope Sony gets on the ball for this much needed feature.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
You guys don't have a phone? Cannot IM each other using a messaging program on the PC? Even on live i don't check what messages I am recieving because it can't be "that" dire.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
I have heard of this issue. People getting the database thing...never happened to me but maybe the same happened to others who got this message.

bucko

Apprentice
Sep 17, 2006
Well none of my friends are online whenever I want them to join or there playing a different game, so it doesn't really bother me, as long as I can get on a public server with lots of people I'm happy.

Ike

Apr 4, 2008
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]You guys don't have a phone? Cannot IM each other using a messaging program on the PC? Even on live i don't check what messages I am recieving because it can't be "that" dire.[/quote]

Picking up a phone shouldn't be necessary. Getting up and going to a pc would be very inconvenient. It's the fact that it should be a very simple concept to integrate and yet after two long years sony hasnt been able to. Somewhat pathetic.

Hunter

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
GA
yea i'm getting annoyed with the whole "exit game to read message and then have to quit again because they didn't reply quick enough before you started the game again"

cannot wait till this feature gets going.... to think we have been without it for so long...
but then again they are probably waiting till HOME to release a huge firmware upgrade...

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
yup... feature is long overdue... another example of sony reacting to the gaming industry instead of leading it...

no1kevlin

Beware the Bomb-Head!
Mar 16, 2008
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]You guys don't have a phone? Cannot IM each other using a messaging program on the PC? [/quote]

I've got a phone and IM on my PC but can't see me ringing up dudes in USA to ask about playing Cops n Crooks and would find it so much easier to press PS button, read msg and reply than to get up go to PC and start a IM conversation. :D

Ike

Apr 4, 2008
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 0]Last I checked "In-game communications" was coming this summer. (That - to me - more or less says messaging.. so why the thread[/quote]

Ill believe it when i see it. Same old song and dance from sony.

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 0]Last I checked "In-game communications" was coming this summer. (That - to me - more or less says messaging.. so why the thread[/QUOTE]

18 months late...

and summer 2008 for sony ususally = winter 2008/2009...

Ike

Apr 4, 2008
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]yup... feature is long overdue... another example of sony reacting to the gaming industry instead of leading it...[/quote]

Bingo. I couldn't agree more.

25 characters.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]yup... feature is long overdue... another example of sony reacting to the gaming industry instead of leading it...[/quote]

the feature is ALREADY AVAILABLE!!!!...it is up to the devs to implement it!....if the devs want to program access to the xmb into their games they can already do it....don't kill Sony over this when its as much the devs fault.....

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Metfanant, post: 0]the feature is ALREADY AVAILABLE!!!!...it is up to the devs to implement it!....if the devs want to program access to the xmb into their games they can already do it....don't kill Sony over this when its as much the devs fault.....[/QUOTE]

... then why is Sony trumpeting FW 2.4 if the feature is already available???

what game does have in game xmb???

Nov 17, 2007
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]You guys don't have a phone? Cannot IM each other using a messaging program on the PC? Even on live i don't check what messages I am recieving because it can't be "that" dire.[/quote]
Oh yeah, I'm going to call someone my friend from the States, and ask if he wants to play NHL 08? Yeah, great idea man. In-Game XMB is long overdue, and we want it now. I don't want to be quitting my game just to message people. :roll:

At the original poster - I agree, we need it now.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]... then why is Sony trumpeting FW 2.4 if the feature is already available???

what game does have in game xmb???[/quote]

A few games (primarily first party ones as far as I know) have in-game XMB but it's not true in-game. As in, you can't just access it at all times like you're supposed to but you don't have to quit the game all the way to access it either.

Basically it's in the online menu. So yea, it's not truly in-game because you can't access it by pressing the PS button but at least it doesn't make you quit the game alltogether. I think we need AT LEAST THAT to survive until in-game XMB comes out. However, GTAIV is pretty good as far as friends list goes.

GTAIV actually has a semi-in-game XMB, it is actually better than the in-game XMB we've seen before (in first party games), this is GTAIV's own friend list thing. Basically you can get an invite during the game and you can join the game from right there, it is freaking awesome. The only thing is that you can't send anyone messages. You can tell if they're online though or if they're playing GTAIV or not (can't tell if they are playing online or offline or what kind of room though).

But anyway, I think it's a pretty damn good system they have for online. I'm quite impressed. Of course, it's great only relatively, I expect a lot more. So until in-game comes out, I'll be looking forward to first party games for online games or huge third-party games like GTAIV.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I'm pretty sure that we'll be seeing some form of in-game XMB implemented over the next few months. If not then, then at least before the end of the year. It makes sense too, really, I'm surprised so many developers haven't added it already.

NYFAN75

Elite Guru
Dec 10, 2005
NC
OK not to sound like a **** but did we really NEEEEED another thread about in-game XMB????? Come on people it will be realeased when it is realeased simple as that... Is it annoying??? YES, but I can deal.. most of my friends just get straight to the point right in the subject so you can get the jist of it when the message pop's up.... Easy people figure it out...

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="NYFAN, post: 0]OK not to sound like a **** but did we really NEEEEED another thread about in-game XMB????? Come on people it will be realeased when it is realeased simple as that... Is it annoying??? YES, but I can deal.. most of my friends just get straight to the point right in the subject so you can get the jist of it when the message pop's up.... Easy people figure it out...[/quote]

No they want to complain as usual. And when given a date they want to complain about how 'late" it is. Sony isn't a software company. Comparing them to live which has been around since 2001 and saying that the PSN (18 months old) is suppost to be as robust and mature as live is just a cop out excuse to bash sony. The sheer fact that people lived without in game messaging during the original xbox and dreamcast times are just proof enough that people are dead set on whining. I'm sorry it took so long to realize taht these people are just going to complain no matter what happens. The snide remarks and potshots have been going on since before the PS3 was released and chances are they are going to continue into the PS4's lifetime.

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]No they want to complain as usual. And when given a date they want to complain about how 'late" it is. Sony isn't a software company. Comparing them to live which has been around since 2001 and saying that the PSN (18 months old) is suppost to be as robust and mature as live is just a cop out excuse to bash sony. The sheer fact that people lived without in game messaging during the original xbox and dreamcast times are just proof enough that people are dead set on whining. I'm sorry it took so long to realize taht these people are just going to complain no matter what happens. The snide remarks and potshots have been going on since before the PS3 was released and chances are they are going to continue into the PS4's lifetime.[/QUOTE]

puh... lease.

Sony claimed to have been developing the PSN since 2003. That's 5 years ago.
They have had plenty of time to outsource or hire an adequate software division.

and if they aren't able to deliver... then they shouldn't clam to be better than LIVE as they did prior to the PS3 launch.
And as they did with HOME.

I might also point out that emulation is much easier than creation.
MS paved the road... sony really just had to walk it... and yet here we are today.

People act like sony is being unfairly criticized.
The truth is the console king has been caught footed this gen- letting ninty and MS pretty much take the reigns of the industry.

They aren't leading this gen- they are playing catch up. They are reacting... plain and simple.

2008= the year of the PS3??? well it's May now... and I'll grant them that they are no longer getting their asses kicked like they were last year... but they are hardly turning the tide.

There is nothing wrong on calling out a company for its short comings.

edit-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the "it's there devs just don't use it" excuse is BS.

Problem: people want in game xmb.
Solution: make it possible AND make devs implement it

anything less than that is not a solution

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]... then why is Sony trumpeting FW 2.4 if the feature is already available???

what game does have in game xmb???[/quote]

Sony is not "trumpeting" anything....they are just trying to appease the whiners that complain about every move they make....the PSN is a totally open network...the developers can implement ANYTHING they want into the online modes of their games....

Resistance has in-game XMB for one....and while its not perfect, it does allow you access to your friends list from inside the game....you cant access it by hitting the PS button at any time, but its right there in the main online menu, and its been there since last year!....talk to the lazy developers that don't want to implement what Sony allows them to do....

do i want universal access to the xmb?? meaning just hitting the PS button and its there....absolutely....but its not just Sony's fault that we don't have it....the devs can put it in too....but they are too lazy....

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Metfanant, post: 0]Sony is not "trumpeting" anything....they are just trying to appease the whiners that complain about every move they make....the PSN is a totally open network...the developers can implement ANYTHING they want into the online modes of their games....

Resistance has in-game XMB for one....and while its not perfect, it does allow you access to your friends list from inside the game....you cant access it by hitting the PS button at any time, but its right there in the main online menu, and its been there since last year!....talk to the lazy developers that don't want to implement what Sony allows them to do....

do i want universal access to the xmb?? meaning just hitting the PS button and its there....absolutely....but its not just Sony's fault that we don't have it....the devs can put it in too....but they are too lazy....[/QUOTE]

no- they are trumpeting it... "it's coming!!!! we did it"... for about 6 months now :lol:

so answer me this:
PS3 owners have been screaming for in-game xmb for... 18 months now.

Sony allows devs to implement in game xmb... but nobody (hardly anyone) uses it.
(and if they do its "imperfect" like you said above)

Just how exactly have they rectified the problem?
The haven't.

Devs seem to be doing it with ease on the "other" console...
I see x-game invites, messaging... access to music... etc....

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
Rock Band has something like what you guys say. You can send messages and do some stuff while you play, so this is not Sony's fault, it's the developers who want to be fed on their own mouth.

Get your lazy asses working on some XMB support in your games, after we are paying prices as high as 66 euros for games nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.