PS3 Portable Monitor/Screen?

Dec 11, 2005
I remember that for the PSOne there were several monitors made, by third parties. Image here: http://www.newgame.ru/32bit/Photos/psone lcd color monitor.jpg. These were designed with portability in mind, and if I remember rightly there were also third-party battery packs made, and you could connect your PSOne to your car cigarette lighter.

I'm not sure if similar things were made for the PS2, or PS2Slim, but do you reckon that we'll see high-definition, portable monitors for the PS3 (or a later, slimmer version of the PS3) coming out from third parties, or maybe even Sony themself (1280x720 pixels, perhaps)? I think that this would be excellent for frequent fliers and travellers (it's not like they have better things to do, right? :p).

xmokshax

Dedicated Member
Dec 10, 2005
no idea, but who cares? ps3 is a high-definition gaming system and a blu-ray movie player, among other things... i doubt, at least in the short term, that such a small, portable screen would be able to cost-effectively reach a high enough resolution to do the ps3 justice. in addition, they system itself will be pretty power-hungry, so portability is probably not a feasible option. ps3 will be much more at home in your entertainment center than it will be in your car.

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
xmokshax said:
no idea, but who cares? ps3 is a high-definition gaming system and a blu-ray movie player, among other things... i doubt, at least in the short term, that such a small, portable screen would be able to cost-effectively reach a high enough resolution to do the ps3 justice. in addition, they system itself will be pretty power-hungry, so portability is probably not a feasible option. ps3 will be much more at home in your entertainment center than it will be in your car.
I agreee, I doubt a portable screen would sell very well at all. I certainly wouldn't buy one, and certainly wouldn't wanna let my PS3 leave the house. Portability creates a whole new batch of problems, those of which Sony and the consumer would rather not delve into. :p

S

St Jude

No...not unless they make a HD-portable monitor... :p

I personally have never owned such a device though I see them in cataloges and games shops...so I guess there is a demand.

Dec 4, 2005
Not enough people have HDTV's for Sony to be thinking about portable ones.

Any PS3 screen that comes out will most likely be 480p like the PS2 ones.

Hotice

Superior Member
Jan 5, 2006
the psp may be able to act as a portable monitor connection for the ps3. with select games due to the psp's lack of anolog sticks.

Nighthawk

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2005
I owned a PS1 portable screen once, and didn't like it. And I doubt anyone would want to take their $700+ investment out of the house. They'd be wasting money for it, though I imagine it will happen anyway.

c.a.p

Super Elite
Jan 9, 2005
Even though it's not that good of an idea, there will probably be something similar made. PS1/PSone and PS2/PStwo both had screens made for them, some third party company will probably try something like them. The true question is though, what would you use for PS3's power source? PS3, like 360, will probably need a decent amount of power to keep it running.

Feb 13, 2006
There will be a portable 4.3 inch widescreen for the PS3. It's called the PSP!
Sony did say @ last years E3 that the PSP would act as a remote screen. Which is extremely useful for multiplayer gaming. You could have that comfortable personal 1 player view that you are used to against the PS3 while playing against a friend. You're friend could be looking at the TV the PS3 is connected to, while you could be looking at your PSP screen. Or, if you both had PSP's, the larger screen could act as a cinema style camera. A example would be a tennis game. In a multiplayer tennis game, usually you are disadvantaged when you are on the far side of the court. Your player is not as close to you as the opposition player. That could be changed with the PSP. And if you have two PSP's one with you and one with your friend, the PSP screens could be used for a personal view whereas the big TV screen could be used to show dynamic shots and angles where players are hitting the ball. I would imagine, that if you had more than two people over at your house, the people not playing would find it very entertaining to watch these dynamic shots of tennis players diving for balls, or of them talking to themselves, pushing themselves in Dolby Digital Surround Sound. It would provide a theatrical experience for anyone watching the TV, and a more personal, focussed experience for someone on a PSP.

Of course, the likelhood of both you and your friend having a PSP is rare. And I don't think you want to pay $250 for a shiny new PSP if all you are ever going to use it for is a controller.

What Sony, or some third party (such as Logitech) could do, would be to introduce a screen to a controller, exploiting the currently exisisting technology for the PS3 and PSP. As long as it was 2.5 inches (like the DS or the iPod), it probably would satisfy you for a simple task such as gaming. The controller would probably also include a set of headphones if you want to hear your own player and not your friend's player.

A package like that could cost anywhere between $70 to $130, depending on specificiation. It could be a very worthy purchase.

A controller could add so many other things as well, even a HDIP camera or a microphone.

B

barney_2k

they will make em, but i duno they were never my thing

its so bloody hard to see it and play to the full beauty

Barney