PS3 (Repair or Buy a new one?)

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
I am just wondering if I should get it repaired or buy a new one.

You see I bought my PS3 in Australia and moved to the Philippines.
It just died with the yellow light and I really to play it again.

Should I buy a new one or get it repaired. It is an old 60GB PS3.

Please and Thank you!

netherdragon

Superior Member
Nov 23, 2006
New one, and take out the extended warrenty, 3 months warrenty for a refurb aint worth it :p

+ you could always look on youtube for ways to get the ps3 up and running again temperarily, then you can backup your saves and if your really feeling evil, sell it on ebay before it dies again ;)

FLASH48

Master Poster
Oct 18, 2006
I would see about getting the 60gig, fixed at a shop where you live! The reason for that is, 60gig, PS3 are going to be collector items! And i would go head and get a slim also!

Mar 26, 2009
I've ordered a PS3 Slim and trying a bit of DIY repair on my busted 40GB.

I just wish there was a way to extract my game saves from the HDD on my old one.

Sony if you are listening please give me an app to this (yes I know there is a backup function in the PS3 .. but come on backups only seem like a good idea after the thing dies)

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
So it seems that I should buy a new one. But I have so many saved file on my PS3, it's to bad it had to die! Ah!!

Dec 6, 2006
[QUOTE="veyron, post: 0]
(yes i know there is a backup function in the ps3 .. But come on backups only seem like a good idea after the thing dies)[/quote]

not even i was very happy that sony gave the backup feature, but it is very very very flawed.

My ps3 went in to get repaired and i ask if it is guaranteed that i will get my ps3 back or another one. They told me there was no guarantee i would get mine back, so of course that meant no i will not get mine back. So i got my new ps3 60gb model, went to go restore my backup, and boom. A disclaimer comes up saying that the backup file i am trying to restore is from a different ps3 and not all files will be restored. What it really should say is well any music, video's, and pics u have will be ok, other then that pretty much everything else will be lost. About 80% of my game saves were not copied over, and i have to do everything pretty much all over again. U know how long it took me to reinstall 10gb of dlc for rockband!!!

Smiler

Superior Member
Sep 10, 2007
location, location
[QUOTE="veyron, post: 0]I've ordered a PS3 Slim and trying a bit of DIY repair on my busted 40GB.

I just wish there was a way to extract my game saves from the HDD on my old one.

Sony if you are listening please give me an app to this (yes I know there is a backup function in the PS3 .. but come on backups only seem like a good idea after the thing dies)[/quote]

Can you not just take out the HDD from your old PS3 and put it in the new one?

Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="FLASH48, post: 4617713]I would see about getting the 60gig, fixed at a shop where you live! The reason for that is, 60gig, PS3 are going to be collector items! And i would go head and get a slim also![/quote]

What flash said,either do that and then sell it,or sell it as is and buy a slim.

Nov 22, 2007
[QUOTE="netherdragon, post: 0]New one, and take out the extended warrenty, 3 months warrenty for a refurb aint worth it :p

+ you could always look on youtube for ways to get the ps3 up and running again temperarily, then you can backup your saves and if your really feeling evil, sell it on ebay before it dies again ;)[/quote]

did that exact thing to gamestop just today....i'm playing my new slim as we speak, lol.....oooops...did i say that, lol!!!

Mar 26, 2009
[QUOTE="Smiler, post: 0]Can you not just take out the HDD from your old PS3 and put it in the new one?[/quote]

Nope doesn't work, the new PS3 sees it as new HDD and wants to format it then reinstall the PS3 system software.

Dec 6, 2006
[QUOTE="Smiler, post: 0]Can you not just take out the HDD from your old PS3 and put it in the new one?[/quote]

Nope, sorry to tell u everything will be lost. Also even if u backed up ur current hdd about 90% of it will not transfer over to the new ps3. Being the backup for some stupid reason only works if u re install it on the same ps3 u backed it up from.

Mar 26, 2009
The good news (for me ) is that I've managed to get my old PS3 running long enough to copy some stuff and most importantly some game saves to a thumb-drive ... so not a bad as GI ... but still annoying.

So bottom line the PS3 backup is okay (probably) if just your HDD fails or if you are upgrading HDD, anything else and your ******ed.

Smiler

Superior Member
Sep 10, 2007
location, location
[QUOTE="veyron, post: 0]Nope doesn't work, the new PS3 sees it as new HDD and wants to format it then reinstall the PS3 system software.[/quote]

That totally sucks. Here's hoping my PS3 currently away for repairs is OK when it comes back. I want to sell it as well when I get it back if it works and get a new slim one, I've heard the YLOD will come back eventually once fixed and so I feel I need to get a new one once it's back but that makes me think twice about it. Maybe I'll just complete the game I've got put my music on an external hdd and then get a new one.

Dec 6, 2006
[QUOTE="rudincastino01, post: 0]hi,
here some coolest features of the x-box 360,
+best graphics
+new slim model for cheaper
+best for rpg games
+best for adventure games
+free online service
+wonderful customer service
+decent backwards compatability on older models
+near indestructable (original not slim)
+blueray/dvd player
-its really heavy (original)
-expensive (recently dropped a bit)
-games not released as frequent as xbox
-games tend to be more expensive
thanks for sharing this information.[/quote]

r u high?? Hehehe

Pinski

Dedicated Member
Oct 17, 2008
ive seen so many peoples refurbished ones fail them. id just buy the new slim, safest route plus the extended warrenty