Ps4 2012 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themc

Apprentice
Oct 31, 2007
So i'm at work and one of my co workers are telling me that sony is coming out with the ps4 in 2012. He said it's supposed to be completely 3D and has some type of software that converts "games" to 3D even if you don't have a 3D tv. He's not the type of dude to just pull stuff out of the air like that. so i was wondering if anyone has heard about this ?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
2012 would follow their release pattern of 6 years past the console launches.

(PS1 1994, PS2 2000, PS3 2006)

However I, and many others believe that with firmware to refresh the console's functionality, and the new motion control releases will extend the console life cycle beyond the historic trend.

The main reason for the console race in the past has always been graphics. Currently we're hitting a graphical plateau. This is both in terms of rendering capabilities and consumer demand. Games look plenty nice now that most aren't concerned with amazing leaps in graphics. The greater concern is games that are fun to play, and play well.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
**cough개똥cough**

I think your friend is just full of it. Sony shows their systems off 2 years before they're released. They have yet to show off the PS4, so we can't expect it in 2012. Also, the number 4 is unlucky in Asian countries, so they'll probably call it something else (not that they always make the best marketing choices, but it seems likely) And, oh yeah, "convert games to 3d even if you don't have a 3dtv"

Yeah, no. Unless it does cyan / red 3d, otherwise it's just not possible.

It does fit the timing for the previous releases, but I think Sony and MS are going to be keen to milk their systems this time around. Save some money on R&D, and help people out in the terrible worldwide economy. Nintendo, on the other hand, is the game industry's apple, at least they have been with portables. I bet they'll have a new system next year or the year following. They can't keep making new accessories for what's already outdated technology.

Last edited:

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 5183758]**cough개똥cough**

I think your friend is just full of it. Sony shows their systems off 2 years before they're released. They have yet to show off the PS4, so we can't expect it in 2012. Also, the number 4 is unlucky in Asian countries, so they'll probably call it something else (not that they always make the best marketing choices, but it seems likely) And, oh yeah, "convert games to 3d even if you don't have a 3dtv"

Yeah, no. Unless it does cyan / red 3d, otherwise it's just not possible.

It does fit the timing for the previous releases, but I think Sony and MS are going to be keen to milk their systems this time around. Save some money on R&D, and help people out in the terrible worldwide economy. Nintendo, on the other hand, is the game industry's apple, at least they have been with portables. I bet they'll have a new system next year or the year following. They can't keep making new accessories for what's already outdated technology.[/QUOTE]
PS3 was officially announced in 2005, released in 2006.

irish-sid

I'm a hater, a traito.
Aug 26, 2007
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5183802]PS3 was officially announced in 2005, released in 2006.[/QUOTE]

But they rushed it out a year early did they not?

G

gameplaya96

[QUOTE="irish-sid, post: 5183818]But they rushed it out a year early did they not?[/QUOTE]
They 'rushed' the PS3 out a year late, 2007 outside of Japan & the US.

lister86

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2007
i wouldnt expect sony to Release ps4 untill arounld 2015-16 due to at the minute the Technology inst their to make a big leap in gaming i expect sony to go for immersion in gaming by using the new 3d hologram tech in the next playstaions

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5183802]PS3 was officially announced in 2005, released in 2006.[/QUOTE]

Oh... I seem to remember it being longer. I think it's because there were 2 E3s before the release (2005 and 2006) Hmm... It was still more than a year (year and 3 months), but I guess it could be announced at next year's E3 and released the following November again...

Doesn't change the fact that OP's friend was full of crap. Lots of people like to pretend they have inside info.

Lurker00

Apprentice
Dec 19, 2009
I think all the companies are going to drag out their hardware as long as possible this gen. Sony lost a lot of money so the more they can make back the better, partly the reason they haven't cut the price of the psp or stopped manufacturing it. Microsoft will want to sell as many slims as possible, plus they'll keep live subscriptions going, generating some money for next gen. Nintendo will launch first in to next gen with the 3DS. A few years later they'll release the Super Wii, but I think they'll price cut the Wii and DS and keep selling them along side next gen.

Oh and I think you're friend needs new sources. :p

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5183751]2012 would follow their release pattern of 6 years past the console launches.

(PS1 1994, PS2 2000, PS3 2006)

However I, and many others believe that with firmware to refresh the console's functionality, and the new motion control releases will extend the console life cycle beyond the historic trend.

The main reason for the console race in the past has always been graphics. Currently we're hitting a graphical plateau. This is both in terms of rendering capabilities and consumer demand. Games look plenty nice now that most aren't concerned with amazing leaps in graphics. The greater concern is games that are fun to play, and play well.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more, Tyrien. The PlayStation 3 is by no means going through the same cycle that the PlayStation [1] and PlayStation 2 went through. With the recent 3G unveil, the upcoming PlayStation Move, and a gaming world where graphics are no longer of utmost importance (granted 99% of graphics in games are pleasing these days) I don't see the PlayStation 3 being gone in less than two years.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
dont listen to your friend sony might come out with the PS4 in late 2012 or early 2013 but it wont be fully 3-d
it will be half and half and a console like this would cost 500 dollars.
and 3d wont work with out the 3d tech and 3d is the future

Last edited:
A

APetePerson

[QUOTE="themc, post: 5183740]So i'm at work and one of my co workers are telling me that sony is coming out with the ps4 in 2012. He said it's supposed to be completely 3D and has some type of software that converts "games" to 3D even if you don't have a 3D tv. He's not the type of dude to just pull stuff out of the air like that. so i was wondering if anyone has heard about this ?[/QUOTE]

there is already a thread for this with over 1,300 posts: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157465

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="themc, post: 5183740]So i'm at work and one of my co workers are telling me that sony is coming out with the ps4 in 2012. He said it's supposed to be completely 3D and has some type of software that converts "games" to 3D even if you don't have a 3D tv. He's not the type of dude to just pull stuff out of the air like that. so i was wondering if anyone has heard about this ?[/QUOTE]

Well, I personally doubt a 2012 date. To be honest there's not enough differentiating new IP out there to make Sony want to spin a new platform this year. But that's another debate entirely.

As for the 'Make any regular TV show 3D' the only way to do that is with Anaglyph 3D (i.e. encode the 3D effect using colors and have color filters to mask them out.) Regular TVs that have been produced for the past 20yrs can't switch quickly enough to provide a stereoscopic display right eye / left eye images no matter what signal you feed them from a Console, so the only thing left is using Color and filtering out the different colors with the different eyes. This would have nothing really to do with PS3 support though, as there have been a number of games that did this over the years. An top of this, if the PS4 came out with mandating this by dev's, they'd be laughed out of the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.