PS4 HDD has 15 partitions??

chriharr

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2011
GREAT SOUTHERN LAND
When I got my PS4 at launch on the 29th November I replaced the factory HDD with a 1TB HGST SATA 3 HDD and so I never booted the original HDD, I recently moved the 500GB factory PS4 HDD into the optibay of my macbook pro as a secondary internal HDD for random junk like final cut pro projects etc and when I formatted the HDD it basically showed me that the PS4's original HDD structure has 15 partitions, that to me is really weird… but I guess it works OK somehow, I always thought it might have 2 partitions one for the system stuff and one for game data etc, but 15 woah!!!

this is basically what it showed me in DISK UTILITY

Erasing a disk deletes all data on all its partitions.

This disk has 15 partitions:
“disk3s1”
“disk3s3”
“disk3s5”
“disk3s7”
“disk3s9”
“disk3s10”
“disk3s11”
“disk3s12”
“disk3s13”
“disk3s17”
“disk3s19”
“disk3s25”
“disk3s27”
“disk3s29”
“disk3s31”

please discuss

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Bhindi_Bhajji, post: 6293080]I noticed this last week when I formatted mine! It would be interesting to know what each partition is for.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting, there must be a list somewhere on the internet that tells us.....

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="chriharr, post: 6293078]When I got my PS4 at launch on the 29th November I replaced the factory HDD with a 1TB HGST SATA 3 HDD and so I never booted the original HDD, I recently moved the 500GB factory PS4 HDD into the optibay of my macbook pro as a secondary internal HDD for random junk like final cut pro projects etc and when I formatted the HDD it basically showed me that the PS4's original HDD structure has 15 partitions, that to me is really weird… but I guess it works OK somehow, I always thought it might have 2 partitions one for the system stuff and one for game data etc, but 15 woah!!!

this is basically what it showed me in DISK UTILITY

Erasing a disk deletes all data on all its partitions.

This disk has 15 partitions:
“disk3s1”
“disk3s3”
“disk3s5”
“disk3s7”
“disk3s9”
“disk3s10”
“disk3s11”
“disk3s12”
“disk3s13”
“disk3s17”
“disk3s19”
“disk3s25”
“disk3s27”
“disk3s29”
“disk3s31”

please discuss[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

chriharr

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2011
GREAT SOUTHERN LAND
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6293085]Very interesting... I wonder why it's read like that. It might be just how DISK UTIL is reading the allocation table.[/QUOTE]

That's true it might translate the ps4 file system as 15 virtual disks/partitions on a personal computer environment .. It's certainly a weird file system... Perhaps it stops files from becoming too fragmented across the span of the disk e.g the more files you store on the disk the harder the write/read head has to work to find the data it's requesting.

I need to find out more

aries300

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2007
here
[QUOTE="chriharr, post: 6293560]That's true it might translate the ps4 file system as 15 virtual disks/partitions on a personal computer environment .. It's certainly a weird file system... Perhaps it stops files from becoming too fragmented across the span of the disk e.g the more files you store on the disk the harder the write/read head has to work to find the data it's requesting.

I need to find out more[/QUOTE]

There´s not to much info right now except that it has 15 partitions but you might want to check here once in awhile.

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Files_on_the_PS4#Partitions

@Mods.
I don´t think this breaks any rules but if you don´t like these sort of links on here, please remove.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="aries300, post: 6293584]There´s not to much info right now except that it has 15 partitions but you might want to check here once in awhile.

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Files_on_the_PS4#Partitions

@Mods.
I don´t think this breaks any rules but if you don´t like these sort of links on here, please remove.[/QUOTE]

No, that is good stuff. Thanks.

PS4 is based on the FreeBSD kernel so it is good to keep in mind that partition schemes for Unix/Linux are different than Windows which typically has one partition, sometimes two if the manufacturer sets it up. Multiple partitions in Unix is typical.

Sep 3, 2013
I've no idea how much of freebsd is in the ps4 os other than the kernel, however it is interesting that the partitions are named "s" for slice as in Freebsd however disks are not named that way. In freebsd I believe the hdd would be named ad01.

a freebsd installation defaults to three partitions, however openbsd defaults to five but the handbook suggests as many as eighteen. So fifteen isn't all that bizarre.

I'd imagine all the binaries the user installs would go on a seperate slice to the base system, maybe the kernel is in a /boot slice, there's probably swap, user specific configs on their own slice, /tmp, one for game saves maybe, one for media files..that's eight without thinking too exotically. If it's really unixy under the surface I can think of a few more.

I wouldn't have thought it would have anything to do with fragmentation, that's really only a concern for windows users. Assuming sony hasn't written a filesystem of their own that's equally as bad as ntfs. *nix filesystems don't fragment much if at all.
It could be a security measure, the more mount points the more granular control you have over what can be done where on your system.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
this is not weird to me. a little surprising though but it's a home console, makes sense. Windows 8 makes about 5-6.

It's likely that they don't want things to be fragmented. This will also give you more control over what data you want removed. This will also give you the option to reset your PS4 to original settings without wiping out your data. also PS4 gives you the option to completely wipe the OS and reinstall it, that would need another partition or two.

basically the system has a lot of things in it so they want to keep it organized and protected.