PS4 Sales and Numbers Thread

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I'm sticking this thread for all future sales numbers so we don't have a bunch of threads floating around.

Thanks,
PS4freak

Tracking worldwide sales numbers...

As of Dec 31 2013 - 4.2 Million (Sold)
As of Feb 8 2014 - 5.3 Million (Sold)
As of Mar 2 2014 - 6 Million (Sold)
As of Apr 6 2014 - 7 Million (Sold)
As of August 12 2014 - 10 Million (Sold)
As of September 30 2014 - 13.5 Million (Shipped)
As of January 4 2015 - 18.5 Million (Sold)
As of March 1, 2015 - 20.2 Million (Sold)
As of March 31, 2015 - 22.3 Million (Sold)
As of September 30, 2015 - 29.3 Million (Shipped)
As of November 22, 2015 - 30.2 Million (Sold)
As of January 3, 2016 - 35.9 Million (Sold)
As of December 31, 2015 - 37.7 Million (Shipped)

[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 0]20.2M sold through as of March 1.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/03/03/playstation-4-sales-surpass-20-2-million-worldwide/137378/

[/QUOTE]

~Martian

Last edited:

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
LAWD! like I said, unto the next one

The break down
Tokyo, December 3, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013. The number includes the 700,000 units sold through in Europe and Australasia launching on November 29. The PS4 system became available on November 15 in the United States and Canada and on November 29 in Europe, Australasia and Latin America and is now available in 32 countries globally.

“PS4 delivered the best launch in PlayStation history with the North American release and we’ve continued this incredibly successful start in Europe, Australasia and Latin America,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “Demand remains incredibly strong and continues to overwhelm the supply worldwide, but we are diligently working to meet those growing demands and to deliver additional PS4 units to our retail partners throughout the holiday season. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support.”

PS4 consumers embraced the deep social capabilities offered by the PS4 system, including heavy use of live broadcasting on Ustream and Twitch and sharing content through Facebook® and Twitter. PS4 gamers have demonstrated particular interest in the new “SHARE” button on the DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller, with more than 6.5 million shares captured.

Looking ahead, the PS4 system will evolve through PlayStation’s cloud gaming services, available in the U.S. in 2014. Based on Gaikai Inc.’s cloud-based technology, the service will enable users to have access to a catalog of critically acclaimed PlayStation®3 (PS3™) games on PlayStation 4 and PS3, followed by PlayStation®Vita.

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/131203b_e.pdf

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2013
Would've been much higher indeed if there were more ps4 available for sure.. in Norway the number was incrediable low. I think 10 000 machines were available here. I was offered 600 $ over what I bought mine for :p

Oct 23, 2013
I dont know kinda worries me a lil.. last gen xbox was the cheaper option so most kids got that. That meant online being filled with loud-mouth, rude and annoying kids. Many times i met people online telling me that they were originally xbox-gamers but changed cos it was too annoying playing online there.. i fear that will happen with ps4 this year.
I know u can always mute em, but still it gets annoying.

Justin

Elite Member
Jun 5, 2005
Canada
I was waiting for a worldwide sales number confirmation. Now if even more were available this number would sky rocket. Or perhaps it is in best interest to keep the demand high? Either way the PS4 is a hit, and now we just need a good flow of awesome games. Oh wait........they are coming! :)

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I really have to commend Sony for their dedication during this launch. When my retailer botched up my order and sendt out units left and right to people that came late - Sony made sure everyone got their order. My PS4 is finally on its way!

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
hot damn. PS4 production can't keep up with demand. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up one in March. I need my Infamous fix. I'm thinking about preordering it so I can get the Cole’s Legacy DLC(won't be sold through psn)

Mar 11, 2006
The subject line isn't quite correct. It should be the NA/EU launch, not worldwide. There is a Japan/Asia launch still coming. This sold-through number is pretty solid evidence that Sony production didn't make it to manufacturing 1 million PS4 per month. The plants went full force in August, so August, September, October, November to reach 2.1 million (since they are all sold out), means they are averaging 500,000 per month. So, now moving forward to the Japan/Asia launch means December, January, February, which could indicate Sony only having another 1.5 million for that launch. From the way things are looking, the Japan launch will be 1 million and another record for Playstation in Japan. The "launch window" for global launch numbers doesn't end until February, and it doesn't look like MS is going to launch in Japan at all.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Even though the retailer I ordered from screwed up their orders, Sony managed to allocate a new shipment. They seem to be doing a formidable job. And I'll get my long sought after PS4 :D

@Bligmerk:Yes, although they could be saving up for Japan launch. And you might have to factor in packaging, shipping and logistics delay.

Galaxy S2

Last edited:

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
[QUOTE="WhatTheDuck, post: 6258921]I dont know kinda worries me a lil.. last gen xbox was the cheaper option so most kids got that. That meant online being filled with loud-mouth, rude and annoying kids. Many times i met people online telling me that they were originally xbox-gamers but changed cos it was too annoying playing online there.. i fear that will happen with ps4 this year.
I know u can always mute em, but still it gets annoying.[/QUOTE]

Dats wat dafuq da mute dis fo. ;-)

[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 6259094]The subject line isn't quite correct. It should be the NA/EU launch, not worldwide. There is a Japan/Asia launch still coming. This sold-through number is pretty solid evidence that Sony production didn't make it to manufacturing 1 million PS4 per month. The plants went full force in August, so August, September, October, November to reach 2.1 million (since they are all sold out), means they are averaging 500,000 per month. So, now moving forward to the Japan/Asia launch means December, January, February, which could indicate Sony only having another 1.5 million for that launch. From the way things are looking, the Japan launch will be 1 million and another record for Playstation in Japan. The "launch window" for global launch numbers doesn't end until February, and it doesn't look like MS is going to launch in Japan at all.[/QUOTE]

You assume uniform production, which is atypical. August would have been setting up the first lines, running test units and ironing out kinks. Then start ramping up production in September to maybe 1/2 of max production by end of September, and maybe full 1M per Month rate by end of October. Keep in mind these are hitting those run rates at the end of those months, not for the full month. So maybe somewhere in the 1.5M units available for shipping at beginning of November, which is when the shipping to the distribution centers in NA happened. Another 0.5M produced by Mid Nov when units start shipping to EU sites for distribution. So that's a bit over 2M units and up at a 1M unit per month run rate. Expect another 1M units shipped to retailers before the holidays to be > 3M units be end of this year.

And at that production rate that can build to about 6M units by end of Fiscal year. Though they're conservatively estimating 5M units sales should sales drop off (which often happens after the holidays.) But expect a solid 0.5M in sales at the Japan launch alone.

Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6259119]But expect a solid 0.5M in sales at the Japan launch alone.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 launch in Japan was 500,000 and that sold out in two days with huge shortages. I was careful to say "average". Of course, production lines will ramp up but it usually means adding facilities. That will come after the launch window. Nah, Japan is more like an easy 1 million, with some shortages. There is a huge shift starting to happen in JRPG and the devs aren't wasting time with politics, they are identifying the PS4 as their prime platform, if not only platform.