PS4 sales surpass 91.6 million units worldwide. Spider-Man sells more than 9 million copies worldwide.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 91.6 million units*1 globally as of December 31, 2018.
[*]Within the above number, PS4 has sold through more than 5.6 million units*2 globally during the 2018 holiday season*3.
[*]More than 50.7 million*4 PS4 games were sold through globally during the 2018 holiday season, which sums up to 876 million*5 PS4 games cumulatively sold through worldwide as of December 31, 2018.
[*]Marvel’s Spider-Man, launched in September 2018, has cumulatively sold through more than 9 million copies*6 worldwide as of November 25, 2018.
We are also happy to announce that the monthly active users of PlayStation Network continues to show strong growth, and has surpassed 90 million as of end of November 2018
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2019/190108.html

Kicking ass and taking names. Well on its way of becoming the 2nd best selling console of all time.

They haven't even officially cut the price from $299/$399 for the PS4/PS4Pro yet. I predict that they'll slash the price by $50 this year and another $50 once the PS5 launches. They have all the momentum going into next gen. They have the recipe for success. Keep doing what's working and improve in other areas and customers will come in droves again.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
-Sony didn't have any amazing deals for the ps4 during the month of Dec in North America. I'm not sure if they did elsewhere.

-Spider-Man sales figure didn't include the days after Nov 25th. It's probably over 10m now.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
This is not awesome. Sony dominating this much while has strong competators unlike ps2 era may lead to even greeder Sony than the start of the ps3 era.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
This is not awesome. Sony dominating this much while has strong competators unlike ps2 era may lead to even greeder Sony than the start of the ps3 era.
I doubt that will happen again given that Sony is under different leadership than they were going from the ps2 to ps3 era.

Want to know something crazy? Launches aligned, the PS3 is tracking ahead of the Xbox One in sales.

Jan 19, 2018
I wouldn't be worried about it. Xbox is doing awesome, PS is doing awesome. Wii U may be dead, but their next gen Switch is already rockin'. According to Resetera, it looks like the Switch outsold the PS and Xbox in 2018. Not to mention the Xbox is up again YOY.

We have a very healthy network of consoles IMO.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Could Microsoft counter with a Batman exclusive on Xbox Two?
That's not going to happen because Batman isn't a struggling video game i.p.

Marvel approached various studios for creating titles using their comic book characters. We don't know if they approached MS. It's highly unlikely due to MS not being able to make anything a success outside of Forza, Halo and Gears.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah I see it happening hopefully it's not the case and they do have a good next gen start. Like Final Sin says keep the pendulum swinging. Management is changing a lot more with their move in Californa and since Andrew House has left.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
The PS4 has nearly 1 Billion games sold on its system. That's crazy. They're at 876 million as of the end of 2018.
I wouldn't call that "nearly" just yet. It's not uncommon to see a game have less than 3 million sold copies, and it's also hard to say how much longer the PS4/Pro lifespan will be until the PS5 starts getting talked about.

Jun 4, 2007
I wouldn't call that "nearly" just yet. It's not uncommon to see a game have less than 3 million sold copies, and it's also hard to say how much longer the PS4/Pro lifespan will be until the PS5 starts getting talked about.
The PS4 doesn't die as soon as there's official news of the PS5. The PS4 is going to be supported while next gen consoles are on the market. Sony's exclusive PS4 support appears to stop after the 2020 games are released but 3rd party support will be there in the form of cross gen titles until they start making true next gen games. The PS4 is 124m games away from a billion. Lets break that down over 2 years(The rest of 2019 and 2020). That's 62m a year. The PS4 sold 50m games just in the holidays of 2018. I think they can easily reach that.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Off the top of my head, there's Days Gone, Dreams, The Last of Us Part II, MediEvil, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, and (maybe) WiLD. I don't know which PS4 exclusives are confirmed for 2020. I suspect Final Fantasy VII Remake might be one such game but by then it will probably also see a release on Xbox One.

Jan 19, 2018
Off the top of my head, there's Days Gone, Dreams, The Last of Us Part II, MediEvil, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, and (maybe) WiLD. I don't know which PS4 exclusives are confirmed for 2020. I suspect Final Fantasy VII Remake might be one such game but by then it will probably also see a release on Xbox One.
Days and Dreams this year, and I suspect Ghost, Death Stranding and TLOU next year?

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
The PS4 doesn't die as soon as there's official news of the PS5. The PS4 is going to be supported while next gen consoles are on the market. Sony's exclusive PS4 support appears to stop after the 2020 games are released but 3rd party support will be there in the form of cross gen titles until they start making true next gen games. The PS4 is 124m games away from a billion. Lets break that down over 2 years(The rest of 2019 and 2020). That's 62m a year. The PS4 sold 50m games just in the holidays of 2018. I think they can easily reach that.
I'm not in disagreement with what you typed to me in this last response. I think you were simply over-hyping stuff before, because over 100 mil is still a ways off.

Jun 4, 2007
I'm not in disagreement with what you typed to me in this last response. I think you were simply over-hyping stuff before, because over 100 mil is still a ways off.
Look at this software data and tell me how 124 million is a ways off. From Jan 1, 2018 - Dec 31, 2018 the ps4 sold 231 million units of software. Sales will start to fall eventually but 124 million isn't so far away.

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Look at this software data and tell me how 124 million is a ways off. From Jan 1, 2018 - Dec 31, 2018 the ps4 sold 231 million units of software. Sales will start to fall eventually but 124 million isn't so far away.
124 million is still a ways off no matter how you want to try to go about that. That's no small number. Anyway, there's no need for us to go back and forth on this as we aren't going to see eye to eye.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
124 million is still a ways off no matter how you want to try to go about that. That's no small number. Anyway, there's no need for us to go back and forth on this as we aren't going to see eye to eye.
It will absolutely come close. PS2 sold like 50 million more units after the PS3 came out. PS4 will drop in price when PS5 launches and the console will most like sell another 30 million over next 5 years. That is only 6 million unit sales per year.

Jun 4, 2007
Unlike you, I'm presenting data. I proved to you that software sales on the ps4 adds up very quickly. These numbers aren't up for debate. Data shows that 124 million units is a little over half of the yearly total software sales for the PS4 in the last couple of years. You seem to have a hard time reading the data presented to you so I'll write it out for you. The PS4 has yearly moved OVER 150 MILLION units of software for the last few years. But I'm "over-hyping" because "124m units is still a ways off because it's a big number and sales trends don't matter":rolleyes:...

The PS4 only needs 9 out of 12 months to move over 124m units of software(look at data). That's of course if sales don't just fall off a cliff. 9 to 12 months is surely not "a ways off" . I get that 124m units of software is a lot. You're the one not getting that the ps4 has easily moved over that amount of units for the last few years. There's nothing to see eye to eye. You're the one that quoted me in an attempt to simmer down "over-hyping" a near(a year, at most, is not a ways off) accomplishment for Sony in a PS4 accomplishment thread.

No other console in history has sold a billion units of software other than the PS2. They reached that figure in its 6th year. The PS4 will hit that figure in its 6th year on the market. The PS2 didn't have strong competition. The PS4 is doing this while having strong competition. The PS2 was $199 in its 2nd year, $179 in its 3rd, $149 in its 4th and $129 in it's 6th year. The PS4 is still $299 moving towards its 6th year on the market. "But you're over-hyping no matter how you put it" Miss me with that bullshit especially if you can't explain yourself.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Days and Dreams this year, and I suspect Ghost, Death Stranding and TLOU next year?
The Last of Us Part II should release later this year. It's been in development since 2014. Ghost of Tsushima will probably release this year too. These games will have been in development for four to five years.

Death Stranding most likely won't release this year since it only begun full development two years ago. And because it's Hideo Kojima, the game is bound to be delayed at least once. I already knew this but I think it's because Death Stranding was shown alongside the other games at Sony's E3 conference last year that I mistakenly assumed it entered development around the same time.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Unlike you, I'm presenting data. I proved to you that software sales on the ps4 adds up very quickly. These numbers aren't up for debate. Data shows that 124 million units is a little over half of the yearly total software sales for the PS4 in the last couple of years. You seem to have a hard time reading the data presented to you so I'll write it out for you. The PS4 has yearly moved OVER 150 MILLION units of software for the last few years. But I'm "over-hyping" because "124m units is still a ways off because it's a big number and sales trends don't matter":rolleyes:...

The PS4 only needs 9 out of 12 months to move over 124m units of software(look at data). That's of course if sales don't just fall off a cliff. 9 to 12 months is surely not "a ways off" . I get that 124m units of software is a lot. You're the one not getting that the ps4 has easily moved over that amount of units for the last few years. There's nothing to see eye to eye. You're the one that quoted me in an attempt to simmer down "over-hyping" a near(a year, at most, is not a ways off) accomplishment for Sony in a PS4 accomplishment thread.

No other console in history has sold a billion units of software other than the PS2. They reached that figure in its 6th year. The PS4 will hit that figure in its 6th year on the market. The PS2 didn't have strong competition. The PS4 is doing this while having strong competition. The PS2 was $199 in its 2nd year, $179 in its 3rd, $149 in its 4th and $129 in it's 6th year. The PS4 is still $299 moving towards its 6th year on the market. "But you're over-hyping no matter how you put it" Miss me with that bullshit especially if you can't explain yourself.
I didn't ask you to present data. That was on your own decision to do so. I would only ask you to do so if I thought you were lying about 124 million. I have to take the competition part of your comment with a mountain of salt. The Switch, while it has done pretty good imo, didn't come out until 2017. XBox One's bad PR put Microsoft too far behind. And despite the Xbox One X being a solid console they'll never fully recover from that bad PR with the prior console for this generation when combined with other factors. That has been discussed to the point of beating a dead horse on this forum, and you have taken part on several of those disussions. My bottom line is 124 mil is no small number nothing more or less. If my prior comments came across to you as the PS4 won't hit a billion game sales, I don't know what to tell you other than that's on you.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Edit:NvM. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about at all and not worth anymore of my time.

Hype back on.

PS4 is performing at PS2 levels while facing stronger competition(Switch and Xbone sold more and is more popular than the gamecube and xbox). The PS2 also had a huge price advantage compared to the ps4. The PS4 will reach a billion games sold in 2019 and the ps4 will become the 2nd best selling console of all time when this generation is all over. It'll be interesting to see if Sony ever cuts the price to $199 but its been selling to the point that they don't need to cut the price outside of the holidays.

Last edited: