PS4 slim not taking disc, always thinks disc inside.

Nick2181

Apr 14, 2020
This is my 1st post outside of introducing myself. My nephew is having issues with his PS4 so I am looking at it for him but can't seem to find the problem. Here is a rundown of what it does and doesn't do.

Powering on, it thinks there is a disc inside soon as you hit the power button. The lens keeps focusing and the rollers run in eject mode

On the dashboard it says Unrecognized Disc, but no disc inside

When inserting a game the rollers won't move, nothing spins and acts like nothing is being inserted

I can manually insert the game by using the manual feed screw and it will read the disc

Pressing eject gives 3 beeps and disc will eject. Pressing eject again still gives 3 beep and still wants to eject until I press the switch that engages the lens. Then it will just beep 3 times everytime.

Still won't take discs no matter what I do and the disc insert switch doesn't engage the rollers to move forward. I tested the switch on a meter and it does work. It is not broken in the closed position from what I can tell.

There is however a 3rd switch and I have no idea what it does if it does anywhere but looks to be broken as I can't see the switch tab.

I've tried and reinstalled the system update, power cycles, rebuild database, initialize PS4.. Nothing.

I can post pictures of the drive if needed. I just acts like there is always a disc inside, I'm just at a loss.

Software is updated to 7.02

Thanks in advance.

Nick2181

Apr 14, 2020
Well just encase someone else has a similar issue I was able to troubleshoot it and found the issue. It was the 3rd sensor switch.