PS5 Backwards Compatibility With PS4 Games Looking Likely

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I think backwards compatibility was a given. Since x86 -> x86 instead of [other instruction set] -> x86

Looking at the wording quoted from the patent in the article, it seems to suggest that backwards compatibility can be retroactively upgraded. Not just resolution, but with improved assets.

So instead of (as a loose example):

[0] - texture 1
[1] - texture 2
[2] - texture 3

the apparent data structure is changed on the fly to:

[0] - pointer to 66
[1] - pointer to 67
[2] - pointer to 69

then somewhere else in memory you have:

[66] - 4K texture 1
[67] - 4K texture 2
[69] - 4K texture 3

Don't know how this translates to PS3 though. Emulators on PC for the Cell BE absolutely thrash a single thread, so working with the game logic (for example) does not look like it's an easy thing... im mean, if you could thread it, you would, wouldn't you?

Jun 16, 2013
I think this is where we are headed permanently, and that's a very good thing. I still would like to see PS3 games on the PS5. Not sure how doable that would be.

Wasn't most every multi-plat on PS3 ported from the 360 due to development difficulties of the PS3? If that's the case, what would stop them from basically doing that again to get the games running on a new console?

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
I think that BC is a great feature but as each generation of Playstation has come about BC seems less important throughout the lifecycle. The only PS3 games I actually play now is the odd remaster, with no real hankering for the older titles (apart from MGS IV, love that shit!), but the rose tinted goggles of nostalgia has it's place. If the 5 had that 'all in one box' convenience of BC that would be great, but it's not a show stopper for me either way

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
This means they are going to give up the huge sum of money they used to earn this gen. lets wait and see.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I think asking for backwards compatibility one gen is reasonable unless the architect makes a radical change. I just recently got done playing a PS3 game called Resonance of Fate. I can truly see people playing games one gen older. Hell I do it. Two gens and older though, not so much.

H

Hbeb9786

I like the feature. It seems though it may be a native compatability not just bc, meaning sone form of emulation at sone level would be required.

This may be the start of PS as a platform and not just a console generation.

H

Hbeb9786

I like the feature. It seems though it may be a native compatability not just bc, meaning sone form of emulation at sone level would be required.

This may be the start of PS as a platform and not just a console generation.
Srry no idea how to edit...

I ment to say that if it is native compat then NO emulation would be required as it would be if the games are BC. I think we are all just used to the term BC.