PS5 design thoughts

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/06/11/playstation-5-official-console-reveal-ps5-reveal-event

Sooo...what do we all think of the look of the PS5? It comes in two editions, one standard PlayStation 5 that comes with a drive bay for your game discs and, I assume, Blu-ray Discs and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition without the bay.

I prefer the digital edition. I wonder if it will be slightly cheaper. I do like the curved, contrasting, design and that the accessories are also in-keeping with that as well.

Thoughts?

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I really like the design. It matches the design of the controller which is a good thing, imo.

Yeah, the question is if the digital version will be cheaper or if it will have a bigger SSD. Personally I'm a bit undecided if I want the regular or the digital. That 4K BD drive on the regular is really tempting, especially since I don't have a 4K player right now. But on the other side, if the digital version has a bigger SSD that one might be a good option since I pretty much don't buy any physical games any more. If the only thing that differs is the disc drive then I will probably go with the regular version.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Yeah a larger SSD would absolutely sell it for me. The one we know is definitely included in at least the standard edition is woefully inadequate

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I like the look of the Digital version better. Feel they should've found a way to implement the disc drive in the black part of the console instead of that eye sore on the side, in my opinion. And I think it was posted on a CNET article that Jim Ryan stated the SSD will be 825 as the regular base model.

Jun 4, 2007
I wasn't expecting to see that design but I like it. 90% of my games are on disc so I'm going for the one with the drive.

The all digital PS5 should definitely be cheaper. Having someone locked into their digital network pays off over the long run.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I'm not a fan of the design of the console. Seems to me like it would be an easy magnet for finger prints/dust. Also I have no reason to have a digital only console if there is a disc based option. What if that digital only game all of a sudden goes poof or the license expires on it so you have a dead digital copy.

edit:fixed typo

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I'm in agreement with FinalxxSin especially his statement regarding the digital console and digital game copies MS are doing it too from the sounds of it.

The colours of the console is a mixed bag but from I heard recently there will be many different editions. I like the Black colour instead.

Storage space is another thing too with digital despite you can get a harddrive.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I'm not fussed with the design tbh. I would like an all black variant tho.

That being said, i preferred the Xbox one marketing and aesthetics, so that carries forward here.

Hopefully the hefty size of the thing is accounted for with some decent cooling at least. Pro be like a jet engine at times.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
This is my "quarrantine bunker" right now. As you can see, the white design will definitely not fit here, but a black one should be just fine. I won't complain about PS5 massive size considering I have quite a monster PC Case 🤭

I honestly think the design is the least important aspect of the console, unless it's incredibly ugly (like the original Xbox One)... being the Xbox One X my favorite so far.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
I'm ok with it given that it can lay flat. I'd prefer a black version of it, not a big fan of the white. Looking at the width of the disk slot, it's quite wide.

DanEv

Jul 13, 2020
If we speak on design only - it certainly could've been much better. I guess I expected something more futuristic. Though it's where everything becomes very subjective.