PS5 is already beating Xbox X when it comes to developer interest!

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Source: Techradar

This is a really interesting article (not just for the headline piece, but for some of the other data it discusses too)

TLDR:
  • GDC's State of the Game industry survey 2020 (pdf)
  • 4000 industry game developers surveyed
  • Platform on which next project will be released on
    • 23% - PS5
    • 19% - Ninty Switch
    • 17% - Xbox X
    • 52% - PC! (this is why console exclusives are becoming a thing of the past)
  • Which platform devs most intrigued by?
    • 38% - PS5
    • 37% - Switch
    • 25% - Xbox X
Other interesting trends:
  • Rising interest in VR (especially the Oculus Quest)
  • Growing interest in streaming services, like Google Stadia (wt..actual..f! It's shit!)
  • Only 5% of devs are creating next-gen exclusive titles!
  • 33% expecting their games to be cross-gen

I miss the good ol' days when this kind of post would have caused a near meltdown of the forums! Aqua/Lefein...come back! :D

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Lol...

Yeah... good days.

Considering how much damage control Microsoft had to perform with Xbox One and the horrendous Don Matrick's mismanagement, those numbers look good.

Will be interesting to see if Series X is capable of competing neck to neck with PS5 just like the x360 did. I personally think so... at least in US (probably leading here) and Europe (where it still has a lot to do)...

In Japan, PS will never be threatened.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I also wonder, given the 52% against the PC numbers, if devs release for the PC first knowing that it's a lot more straight forward getting ported to the Xbox after. So they may indicate they are developing their next project for the PC, but is that with a view the Xbox will follow a relatively short while later?

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I guess it depends on what you consider a small dev, let's say 20 people or less. This survey showed 50% worked in a company of 20 or less, and 50% in a company over 20 people, with 35% working in companies of over 100 people. So I wouldn't say they are largely indie or small devs, but more evenly split.