Pseudo-RPG/Story-based FPS games?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I'm wondering if there's any semi-decent FPS games out there that are focused on a single player story that tries to be a little different, rather than a multi-player circlejerk.

Ex:

Bioshock
Singularity
Resistance
FEAR

Third person is cool too. Mainly just after a shooter that doesn't feel stale, and tries to hold an interesting story*

*I say try, as in this is what the developer intended. Whether or not the plot is accepted by critics as good is irrelevant.

Feb 8, 2006
Crysis 2's campaign focuses on the story, there are a few interesting set-piece moments too. Personally, I really like the main story, but its not everyone's cup of tea. There was also a cool levelling up system to your suit.

If you don't mind things that are a bit older, Darkness was pretty good. Plus I think it had some RPG elements.

Half-Life games are great, so I'd recommend the orange box, but then again, these are a bit old, so you might have played them already.

Mirror's Edge was pretty cool, if not a bit too short, but that game should be dirt cheep these days, so it would be worth it.

Far Cry 2 had some really interesting ideas, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, a bit too realistic. But it was completely story driven.

The Wolfenstein game from 2009 was pretty sweet, it had a hub-world and new areas became available as you found newer abilities. You could also upgrade all your weapons and abilities.

If you have a 360 or a PC then check out Prey, it pretty old, but has a great story.

That's all I can think off for now, hope this helps.

Fedos

Master Guru
Feb 21, 2005
Well, you didn't have it listed, but what about Fallout 3 and I guess New Vegas (though I haven't played that one yet)? I'm currently playing through Fallout 3 right now, and it's probably the best shooter rpg that I have ever played. There are tons of quests to do, or if you don't want to engage in that you can follow along with the main story. Me personally I just pull up a strategy guide on my laptop on Cheat CC and play using a guide.

Speaking of shooter role playing games, you might want to give the Mass Effect series a try. If you have a 360 then start with the original as it is the better offering, but if not, Mass Effect 2 is still a worthy offering. Ok, hope this helps.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Last edited:

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5596759]Singularity is listed with bioshock and resistance..Hmm.. does that mean it has a good story? o.o[/QUOTE]
It had a fairly interesting story in concept.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
You can try, Vanquish although I can't guarantee the good story but the gameplay is really fun and long.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5596761]It had a fairly interesting story in concept.[/QUOTE]

I beat Singularity. Was a pretty fun game. It just steals a bunch of concepts from different games like Bioshock and Half Life 2. But it does it pretty well, worth a play in my opinion. If you haven't played Borderlands, it is great. Although the story is a bit weak but the game is a blast. Mixes the RPG and Shooter elements very well. Other than that can't think of any atm. If I do I will be sure to post it.

Jun 10, 2011
Zanzibar Land
The best third person shooter out there with an interesting story (although a bit too twisted and complex) is Metal Gear Solid 4. I can't wait until the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection comes out. That's the game I'm waiting for most. I wish they would re-do MGS1 for the PS3 with better graphics and control (the overhead mode was kind of annoying to get used to).

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="C-Carcharias, post: 5596949]The goods ones I can think of have already been said, though if you have a PC I would recommend the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series and Metro 2033.[/QUOTE]
I've thought about that, but unfortunately I don't think my computer can handle the newer games very well, and would end up leaving myself disappointed*. Currently I'm having some trouble running oblivion with a few mods to improve the looks. I believe one in particular that makes all the vegetation more detailed and swap with the wind is what's causing the bulk of the issues.

*Also the fact that my HDD is almost maxed and I'd need to upgrade it or delete to play other games.

[QUOTE="Legion-X, post: 5596939]The best third person shooter out there with an interesting story (although a bit too twisted and complex) is Metal Gear Solid 4. I can't wait until the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection comes out. That's the game I'm waiting for most. I wish they would re-do MGS1 for the PS3 with better graphics and control (the overhead mode was kind of annoying to get used to).[/QUOTE]
I may get back into MGS4. I beat it 1.5 times immediately when it came out and have not touched it since. May be time for a refresh.

[QUOTE="ps3freak18, post: 5596838]I beat Singularity. Was a pretty fun game. It just steals a bunch of concepts from different games like Bioshock and Half Life 2. But it does it pretty well, worth a play in my opinion. If you haven't played Borderlands, it is great. Although the story is a bit weak but the game is a blast. Mixes the RPG and Shooter elements very well. Other than that can't think of any atm. If I do I will be sure to post it.[/QUOTE]
That's why I never directly commented on he quality of the story, just that it was an interesting concept. I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't think it was stellar either.

I have no interest in the game prior to buying it. I only bought it because it happens to be for 9.99 at gamestop so I thought "what's the worse that could happen?".

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Keep em coming.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Went through my trophy list and this is what I come up with.

1st person-

Mirror's Edge- cool game if you never played it. Focuses on parkour more than anything but the really cool thing about the game is you can complete it without killing anyone.

3rd person-

Dead Space 1&2- Great games that just pull you in and won't let you go. DS 2 has Multiplayer in it but not like the game really took away anything to focus on it.

Red Faction Guerrilla- Just a fun open world game. Plus you can destroy anything.

Vanquish as someone said was a fun game with a solid story and was interesting. But very short.

Although not many of these games have any type of RPG elements they do not focus on Multiplayer.

Jun 10, 2011
Zanzibar Land
In my opinion (and it's just my opinion) Fallout 3 doesn't play well as a FPS. The game engine tries too much to implement RPG elements while playing in FPS mode. Sometimes you shoot and shoot and keep missing (even when standing immediately in the face of your enemy) because the engine is taking into consideration things like luck, gun skills, etc. Which it shouldn't really be doing when in FPS mode and up close.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
Kane and Lynch 2. It's the most authentic to its aesthetics first person shooter. You play as a drunken fat gangster staggering through Shanghai. Everything from the aiming to the pacing to the narrative and the final enemies all draw from this aesthetics. It's a bit short, but I think you can find it really cheap now.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
[QUOTE="Mongoose, post: 5597266]In my opinion (and it's just my opinion) Fallout 3 doesn't play well as a FPS. The game engine tries too much to implement RPG elements while playing in FPS mode. Sometimes you shoot and shoot and keep missing (even when standing immediately in the face of your enemy) because the engine is taking into consideration things like luck, gun skills, etc. Which it shouldn't really be doing when in FPS mode and up close.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I think it's pretty intentional that it's almost impossible to play it as an fps. You're pretty much forced to use V.A.T.S, as it's meant to be an rpg more than anything.
I've not got round to beating it yet, but have played for about 100 hours. There's just so much to do, I love how you start heading to the next town and come across a whole new area inbetween and get sidetracked. So something that should have taken about 5 minutes ends up taking an hour.

Errr, Freedom Fighters. It's third person, but really fun and a solid story. One of the cool things was you'd have a choice of which mission to go for, and which one you did first would change the second one. Example, you could choose to try and take a power source out, but the enemy has air support... or you could choose to take out the air support first so they wouldn't have it for the second mission.
You'd also recruit and build up a little team.