PSP is not much better than PS1?

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
I earlier came across some threads in which people were comparing the PSP's power to the PS2. Some people spoke about the PSP as if it was a PS1.5.

I was playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and i could not for the life of me see how it can e compared to a PS1 game. Have people forgotten how PS1 games looked?

Metal gear
Monster Hunter
I think that the PSP is close to if not the same (for some games) to the PS2. Am I in the majority or the minority here? What do you other regular PSP gamers think?

Punisher99

Dedicated Member
Jun 10, 2007
Well for one thing. I think its really tough to compare a handheld to an actual console. The PSP is defeintely more powerful than the PS1, but not the PS2.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
Yeah I am not saying more powerful just close to it. I never really thought about it untill I was just admiring the graphics on monster hunter.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]Yeah I am not saying more powerful just close to it. I never really thought about it untill I was just admiring the graphics on monster hunter.[/quote]

Actually in mHz, the PSP is more powerful. The PS2 was only 299mHz while for God of War on the PSP it uses the full 333mHz.

Maybe when people were comparing the PSP to a PSX they were looking at an actual PSX game being played, lol.

A

allen1090

way back when, i was watching some show, they said the psp is as powerfull as the ps2 pixel for pixel

[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]Actually in mHz, the PSP is more powerful. The PS2 was only 299mHz while for God of War on the PSP it uses the full 333mHz.

Maybe when people were comparing the PSP to a PSX they were looking at an actual PSX game being played, lol.[/QUOTE]Hertz is not an indicator of power...
allen1090 said:
way back when, i was watching some show, they said the psp is as powerfull as the ps2 pixel for pixel
No... That show is wrong.

The PS2 can output 75 million polygons (untextured), while the PSP can only output roughly 35 million--but the PSP has hardware support for NURBS. The PS2 doesn't.

tmacfan4321

The Game. You lost it.
Dec 31, 2006
[QUOTE="Punisher99, post: 0]Well for one thing. I think its really tough to compare a handheld to an actual console. The PSP is defeintely more powerful than the PS1, but not the PS2.[/quote]
The thing is that it is more powerful, the PS2's processing power was less than the PSP's 333 MHz

Sep 21, 2007
I would say the DS is equivelant to the PS1. PSP is maybe right under the PS2. I'd say PS1.8. Has anybody seen Final Fantasy: Crisis Core for PSP? That's nowhere near PS1 graphics. Final Fantasy III for DS is.

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core - PSP

Final Fantasy XII - PS2

Final Fantasy III - DS

Final Fantasy VII - PS1

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
You can't count Crisis Core!

Square has a habit of having sex with a console in and out then giving birth to a child with the graphic quality of games it puts out on Sony consoles.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]You can't count Crisis Core!

Square has a habit of having sex with a console in and out then giving birth to a child with the graphic quality of games it puts out on Sony consoles.[/quote]

Thats why he was comparing only SE games!

FF7, PSX
FF3, DS
FF:CC, PSP
FFXII, PS2

It's not SE's fault for Nintendo's somewhat low hardware spec's.

Faggotry

Apprentice
Oct 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Dark Octave, post: 0]I would say the DS is equivelant to the PS1. PSP is maybe right under the PS2. I'd say PS1.8. Has anybody seen Final Fantasy: Crisis Core for PSP? That's nowhere near PS1 graphics. Final Fantasy III for DS is.

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core - PSP

Final Fantasy XII - PS2

Final Fantasy III - DS

Final Fantasy VII - PS1
[/quote]

Final Fantasy 3 for DS is much better graphics then 7 original.
Great story, but the graphics and FMV's were under ps1 standards.
On the topic though.
I agree with that PSP is PS1.8 and the rest, your ideas are slightly better then the guy who made the thread.

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
I never heard anyone say that the PSP was ps1.5 I mean the PSP can play PS1 games like it's nothing.

T

TheN1Armyguy

[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]I earlier came across some threads in which people were comparing the PSP's power to the PS2. Some people spoke about the PSP as if it was a PS1.5.

I was playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and i could not for the life of me see how it can e compared to a PS1 game. Have people forgotten how PS1 games looked?

Metal gear
Monster Hunter
I think that the PSP is close to if not the same (for some games) to the PS2. Am I in the majority or the minority here? What do you other regular PSP gamers think?[/quote]
I'm sure that the PS2 is more powerful than the PSP, but the graphics on the PSP are a lot better than on the PS1. Either way, the PSP has the best graphics for a handheld, and I was amazed to first see them.