PSP2 OS... (Linux, Android or Proprietary)

Nov 14, 2005
It's pretty apparent that Sony will try to copy apple on their appstore for non-game apps. But Sony needs to build a robust OS for the psp2. Well for me a good idea for psp2 is Linux, or that they should build the OS around Linux. It's going to give them an advantage because Linux is stable and developers love it. However I also read somewhere a comment of Android being a good idea. And of course the option of Sony creating their own OS. (which I think is not a good idead because Sony is not really strong with software, creating PSN alone is taxing them too long).

For me, the best option for Sony is to create a better-looking XMB for the PSP2 built around the Linux OS.

I know PSP2 is not yet even announced, I do love my PSP-2000 and I play them a lot, I just love talking about the future of playstation product. And since it was rumored that the PSPGO will be having a non-game apps store of its own similar to that of the Itouch and Iphone, this idea striked me about PSP2.

I'd like to believe that the next PSP will have a fast hardware and a well-placed software. For a gaming portable device, Sony still has an advantage over Apple because of their huge amount of Game Studios. And they make games for the hardcore crowd unlike apple even though Iphone is a better machine spec-wise.

Sony can tap on the homebrew developers for their next PSP if they make a good non-game application store online. But of course they shouldn't forget the hardcore games, that's where the Iphone is lacking.

I also thought that the next PSP should have 2 SKUs. One is gaming device with wifi and the other is the 3G version with phone features. The former being the cheaper SKU of course, but Sony can strike a deal with network companies as well to subsidize the cost of the device in exchange for exclusivity to make it cheaper.

But which OS do you think Sony should build the next PSP around?

D3seeker

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2008
Severn, Maryland
Too many people believe in linux. I am one who would prefer to see how they will improve on a proprietary OS before running to something everyone put on every device they get their hands on, without giving the software a chance.

Dec 5, 2007
i see no problem with them using the Linux kernel as a basis for their interface, but depending on the architecture it may require substantial rework anyway.

Something to remember is that Linux is the guts, not the look and feel. The look and feel is seperate, so you could have something that looks and feels like the XMB, but offers developers the opportunity to work with familiar library structures and syntax to speed third party development.

aceofspades21

Superior Member
Mar 23, 2008
Burlington, VT
I personally love the XMB and all that, and I doubt Sony will change it to anything else. They have even stated that they really like the XMB for both platforms and will stick with it. I can see a possible ability to add Linux to the PSP similar to the PS3, but that might require a bit more power than the PSP has.

yuska07

Apprentice
Feb 7, 2007
Android holds a lot of potential as an OS. Sony is coming out with a new Walkman media player in 2010 that will be running Android supposedly. Sony will almost certainly keep their gaming systems on proprietary OSs though to help fight off hacking. With any non-proprietary system (especially one that allows homemade apps), Sony will be worried about an app being written that could potentially make a software-hacked homebrew system... causing them to lose money.

That said, and developing for Android a bit, myself, I would love to see Android be used on a psp... but then again, the Sony xperia x5 will be almost sweet enough by itself. :-D

StealthKat

Superior Member
Nov 8, 2007
I did not vote because I don't really give a rat's behind about which OS a future PSP uses.

I don't think of a PSP as a multi-purpose COMPUTING device. I think of it as a multi-purpose ENTERTAINMENT device.

As such, provided the mad scientists at Sony can find a way to make sure all my favorite games, movies, and music all play on the unit, I really don't care what software they use to make that happen...

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
XMB 2. SONY has put too much effort into this, and as hackers would know it's quite flexible. So really, I can only see SONY revamping the XMB into a window like system having everything running at once and room for applications.

loko08

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2007
Propietary, any other open source system would be a complete adversity to Sony Sales model... and surprise me a lot

K

KamikazeeBob

Do any of you REALLY think they would use a linux distro? Are you kidding me? PSP2 will use the same OS as the PS3 and PSP. Do any of you even know what linux is?

Nov 14, 2005
[QUOTE="drummerboybac, post: 0]i see no problem with them using the Linux kernel as a basis for their interface, but depending on the architecture it may require substantial rework anyway.

Something to remember is that Linux is the guts, not the look and feel. The look and feel is seperate, so you could have something that looks and feels like the XMB, but offers developers the opportunity to work with familiar library structures and syntax to speed third party development.[/quote]

This! Those saying they don't get the idea why I included linux, just read this above.

Of course Sony needs to retain the XMB look or maybe just improve a little on it, make more 3D like. But Sony needs a robust OS to take on the APPLE IPHONE. Sony will eventually copy apple on the non-game application. It's obvious to think that way because if you look at PSP now, it has a lot of homebrew apps which started to boom even before the Iphone release. The only difference with the Iphone is that Apple is cashing in money and Sony is not. If Sony will make the Homebrew apps official, then that is a good business for them.

May 29, 2007
.....pss..behind you
Umm, No point having Linux and Android on the poll.
Android is Linux. Just thought I would point that out.

Linux is the kernel. The basic building blocks. Its the foundation on which the OS is built. It doesnt decide how the OS will look or perform. It is very open ended. Take the new Palm Pre for example. The OS is built off if Linux aswell. It is a different system then Android is.

Much can be achieved if Sony were to go the Linux route, but I can honestly can say that I do not see that ever happening. They would want total control over the OS. I don't see them willingly handing out there source code to anyone. Remember. Linux is Open Source.

Nov 14, 2005
I necromanced this thread because Sony is said to announce the PSP by January 27th. By now probably Sony has a working OS for it already. So right now it's more of a guessing game.

I just read somewhere that the original PSP (PSP1) OS was actually built from linux kernel, so I think the only reasonable options now are PROPRIETARY LINUX and ANDROID.

Personally I don't want Sony going the Android route. I want them to create their own OS and start from scratch. For sure it won't be much competitive to say iOS and Android upon its release, but if Sony is smart enough to create an application store for their OS (which should be operable to every Sony devices) it will definitely grow to something bigger and the OS will mature. Just look at the PSP homebrew scene, those apps could have been organized in an appstore similar to the iOS and Android. There was nothing much of an incentive as a developer to create a homebrew application for the PSP since developers cannot sell it, but look at the huge amount of apps created for the PSP. If Sony will created its own appstore for the next PSP, there's no doubt that it will get a lot of support.

Right now there are three major smartphone OS - iOS, Android, and Windows 7. I think definitely there's a room for Sony in there. And I think they are very much in the position to compete.

Sony could use the PSP2 as the trojan horse for their mobile OS just like they used the PS3 for their blu-ray. Later down the road, that same PSP2 OS can be used as the backbone OS for PS4 (just like Ipod iOS was used for iphone and then later on to apple TV). Sony could also use the same OS for their future smartphones.

I think Sony is definitely capable, they just to organize better and get their acts together.

Nov 14, 2005
[QUOTE="lordAlucard, post: 4234141]There won't another OS the XMB is too perfect[/QUOTE]

XMB is not an OS, it's an interface. I just learned that the XMB of the current PSP was actually built using Linux Kernel. Of course I want Sony to continue with XMB as their "user interface".

D3seeker

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2008
Severn, Maryland
Well this is interesting. PSPs OS was built off linux. Plus ol' Sony seems to have a likeness about android. this could be great, but they won't come out with anything revolutionary or worthy of a place in the os front. IMO they're too worried about hackers to have put enough thought or resources into a os to take us by storm. But time will tell.

Jun 4, 2011
[QUOTE="[email protected], post: 5411118]XMB is not an OS, it's an interface. I just learned that the XMB of the current PSP was actually built using Linux Kernel. Of course I want Sony to continue with XMB as their "user interface".[/QUOTE] Speculation: The Vita is running a eLinux OS with just about all the Gnome mobile support libraries. OLPC Sugar interface is functionally identical to the Vita Near feature, Journal is similar to the OLPC journal, too soon to tell if there are other Features with the same functionality.

From the PS3 GTKwebkit disclosure files is a list of the libraries and one of them is Geoclue which will only be needed on the Vita. Sony has said that the PS3 and Vita are going to share many libraries, I assume this means the GTKwebkit and support libraries.

Vita could be running a modified version of OLPC X/O collaborative game educational OS http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27486287&postcount=384

Discusssions on the coming PS3 GTKwebkit here:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27697080&postcount=410

Jul 9, 2008
[QUOTE="aceofspades21, post: 4234101]I personally love the XMB and all that, and I doubt Sony will change it to anything else. They have even stated that they really like the XMB for both platforms and will stick with it. I can see a possible ability to add Linux to the PSP similar to the PS3, but that might require a bit more power than the PSP has.[/QUOTE]

It has plenty of power to run linux. imo

Nov 14, 2005
[QUOTE="jeff_rigby, post: 5614607]Speculation: The Vita is running a eLinux OS with just about all the Gnome mobile support libraries. OLPC Sugar interface is functionally identical to the Vita Near feature, Journal is similar to the OLPC journal, too soon to tell if there are other Features with the same functionality.

From the PS3 GTKwebkit disclosure files is a list of the libraries and one of them is Geoclue which will only be needed on the Vita. Sony has said that the PS3 and Vita are going to share many libraries, I assume this means the GTKwebkit and support libraries.

Vita could be running a modified version of OLPC X/O collaborative game educational OS http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27486287&postcount=384

Discusssions on the coming PS3 GTKwebkit here:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27697080&postcount=410[/QUOTE]

I clicked on the link but I thought it's too technical for my consumption. LOL.

If you are right with your speculations. What do you think are the implications on the consumer level and developer level?

All I wanted from Sony is the inter-operability of their apps and games among their devices as most of the devices in our house are Sonys. I thought if Sony would share a single OS among their devices including cameras and TVs that would play to their advantage. And I was also thinking that a well-thought or robust OS with great software libraries and support would ensure a lot of developers flocking over their devices.

I am obviously thinking in line with how Apple do their business. I thought it's worthy of emulation.

Jun 4, 2011
[QUOTE="[email protected], post: 5615950]I clicked on the link but I thought it's too technical for my consumption. LOL.

If you are right with your speculations. What do you think are the implications on the consumer level and developer level?

All I wanted from Sony is the inter-operability of their apps and games among their devices as most of the devices in our house are Sonys. I thought if Sony would share a single OS among their devices including cameras and TVs that would play to their advantage. And I was also thinking that a well-thought or robust OS with great software libraries and support would ensure a lot of developers flocking over their devices.

I am obviously thinking in line with how Apple do their business. I thought it's worthy of emulation.[/QUOTE]

GNOME = GNU Network Object Model Environment, I.E. it uses webkit support libraries to support a Desktop environment; GTKwebkit support libraries. A GTKwebkit browser is coming to the PS3 probably this month (October)

The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initiative (GMAE), also known as GNOME Mobile, is an initiative for developing and promoting the use of the GNOME platform in mobile devices. It was announced at the Embedded Linux Conference in Santa Clara, California on April 19, 2007. Gnome Technologies ATK · Bonobo · D-Bus · GConf · GLib · Keyring · GVFS · GObject · GStreamer · GTK+ · Mono · Pango · Vala
OLPC uses Gnome Mobile = game (educational) oriented OS = Vita. PS Suite may be based On Mono

Charles Ying's post confirmed Gstreamer and Cairo in the PS3 in 2009 and that would tend to indicate that PS3 firmware 3.0 (2009) and the total XMB rewrite with Hirari's comment that it was a total rewrite to support Media and Network Media with the preview Video played that was about Augmented Reality and overlays = Gstreamer & Cairo = XMB Gnome desktop. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31344193&postcount=878

2011 Sony networked TVs and Blu-ray players have Gnome (Gstreamer, Pango, Glib) + Javascript engine + Cairo for applications. Mono uses Cairo for drawing and Gnome Mono API calls native language Gnome libraries .