PSU: Cerny: PS4's architecture more flexible, customizable than PC's

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
After a PC-oriented friend illustrated to me the power of gaming on the platform, I have often considered shifting to the terrifying realm of PC gaming. To the intrigue of the entire gaming community, however, there has been a lot of talk in recent months concerning the PlayStation 4's ability to exceed the performance of the personal computer. Mark Cerny has stepped up again to discuss the next-gen console's edge on the PC.

Discussing the PS4's "super-charged PC architecture" with VG247, Cerny says that the console will offer greater customization, stability, and flexibility than the architecture of the modern day PC. In turn, developers will be able to utilize the PS4's hardware more effectively and create higher-quality experiences.

Read more...

More good news from Cerny.

Jun 1, 2007
[QUOTE="Terminator 101, post: 6142531]What exactly does "greater customization" mean for a closed down box with locked in specs that can never change?[/QUOTE]

Probably means that developers can fully tapped the PS4 ("program to the metal" as they say) to do things that you couldn't do on a PC as it would still have to follow a set of requirement that will make it compatible with older games or across different types of graphic card, thus limiting its actual capability.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I like how Cerny subtly hints that the PS4 is a customized piece of hardware rather than a box of PC parts slapped together. There's a lot going on inside the PS4. I look much forward to the day when Anandtech or some such site can tear into one of these things.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 6142645]I like how Cerny subtly hints that the PS4 is a customized piece of hardware rather than a box of PC parts slapped together. There's a lot going on inside the PS4. I look much forward to the day when Anandtech or some such site can tear into one of these things.[/QUOTE] Yep, kind of flies in the face of mynds theory about the PS4. lol

Oct 18, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 6142645]I like how Cerny subtly hints that the PS4 is a customized piece of hardware rather than a box of PC parts slapped together. There's a lot going on inside the PS4. I look much forward to the day when Anandtech or some such site can tear into one of these things.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, the day it launches I will have my eye on iFixit.com to see what the innards look like!

Jun 1, 2007
[QUOTE="MonkeyClaw, post: 6142650]Trust me, the day it launches I will have my eye on iFixit.com to see what the innards look like![/QUOTE]

Watch for those "smash X console" videos too to see its durability and innards.

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 6142654]I want to see inside to see what Sony's cooling solution is.[/QUOTE]

Cerny's response to the question was certainly a good laugh.

Jan 17, 2006
Newmarket, Toronto, Ontario
[QUOTE="Insanehead, post: 6142562]Probably means that developers can fully tapped the PS4 ("program to the metal" as they say) to do things that you couldn't do on a PC as it would still have to follow a set of requirement that will make it compatible with older games or across different types of graphic card, thus limiting its actual capability.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't really explain "greater customization". A better statement for that would be "ease of development".
Its probably just PR speak, nothing more.