PSU PC Gamers Unite!

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
Guys, I'm going to buy a 10-slot Ventrilo server soon. But I wont bother if no one is going to use it, if you guys are up for using it, then I'll try and hire it this week (Quality is superb btw, MLGVoice is the host, used em before).

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I just use my wireless 360 headset smiggy. Think i may need to pick up a decent one though. I too would like a suggestion on a decent (but nothing too expensive) headset. If i knew i was going to use it alot i'd buy a Razer one but i can't justify that kind of price tag for one

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5340240]Probs just a mic will do, unless you think headsets are worth the money?. To be fair i'd only use it when playing with you guys[/QUOTE]

I'm not too aware on what standalone mics to buy, but headsets are great if you think you'll use them enough to justify their price. My computer has a decent in-built mic, so I've never had to bother.

Any opinions on vent server? Can easily bump up to 15 slot if it gets enough love.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I'll have to look into it. I normally use my wireless 360 one but it can be temperamental at times so it'd be nice just to get a decent good quality one.
I think it'd be a good idea regarding the vent server. Depends how much it is though and if you think it'll be worth it?

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5340249]I think it'd be a good idea regarding the vent server. Depends how much it is though and if you think it'll be worth it?[/QUOTE]

It's only $3.99 for a 10 slot and $5.99 for a 15-slot, a month that is. I think it'd be worth it for sure, so long as it gets used.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
Voice chat. Uses a dedicated server over a different program so you don't have to rely on ingame chat. It's actually pretty nice.

Server seems like a good idea, but how many people here would actually use it though?

More importantly, how many people here even have mics? :lol:

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
[QUOTE="Atlas, post: 5340279]I've got a Mic, I can use my Astro A30s.

I'd use the server If I was gaming with you guys. Wish I'd bought L4D in the Steam Sales. :/[/QUOTE]

Ah! Not the A30's! :snicker.

[QUOTE="Xelios, post: 5340281]http://www.maxfrag.net/

A little bit cheaper there. Arkano if you want to alternate months, I'd be willing to pay for every other month. 10 users is good enough I'd say.[/QUOTE]

It's only ~$1 cheaper. It converts into £2.50 (Although whether I'll be charted £2.50 for £3.99 is beyond me), but I've used MLGVoice before and I like their customer service. Not sure how it would be possible to alternate months though.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
Well I was just thinking that you pay for a month then I order or something. Not really fair if you pay for it by yourself is what I mean. Or we can alternate quarters, like every 3 months if that would be easier.

I'm using MaxFrag currently one my clan's Vent server, they seem pretty nice. Not sure about the customer service, so if you say they're good, then MLGVoice would probably be better.

iLake

Super Elite
Sep 16, 2008
Louisiana
gamingcompanyhq.com
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5339414]What's your steam ID, dude? I'll add it to the OP.

Anyone up for a L4D/2 adventure later?

Stupid Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Ah yes, my mistake. My Steam ID is iLake. :)

Also, I left out a couple of games... Age of Empires 3 and CoD2.

Last edited:

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
[QUOTE="Xelios, post: 5340443]Well I was just thinking that you pay for a month then I order or something. Not really fair if you pay for it by yourself is what I mean. Or we can alternate quarters, like every 3 months if that would be easier.[/QUOTE]

Nah don't worry about it :). I'm more than happy to pay for it, it'll replace my WoW subscription (at a much cheaper sum too). Thanks for the offer though, I hope I don't sound rude :(.

Kyaw

Master Sage
Jul 30, 2008
Which mics are recommended for use with Vent?
Something good and cheap will do.

I do have an AD700 headphone, i can use that with webcam mic for minimal noise.
Or i could pick up a bluetooth receiver and use it with my PS3 Giotek headset.

I know my webcam mic picks up everything...

Last edited:

Kydosan

Forum Elder
Apr 3, 2007
I tried to get my mic working yesterday and found out my PC was completely ****ed in the sound department with a "lol, rebuild!" style problem. The 7 hours or so I spent sorting that out probably wasn't as much fun as L4D2, but hey it's nice to be rid of the clutter :)

Vent server sounds good, go go go!

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Arkano6, post: 5340882]Nah don't worry about it :). I'm more than happy to pay for it, it'll replace my WoW subscription (at a much cheaper sum too). Thanks for the offer though, I hope I don't sound rude :(.[/QUOTE]

Nah you don't sound rude haha. Well my offer still stands though. I know it's a measly amount of money, but still lol.

@Kyaw: You can use any mic that works to be honest. I think the webcam will be fine though because Vent is on a PTT basis, so the mic won't always be active.

Kyaw

Master Sage
Jul 30, 2008
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5341140]Love my new PC, very pleased with SSD performance. Need to get my monitor calibrated as I probably got it all wrong but it looks so nice.[/QUOTE]

here you go: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

@ Xelios, i dont like PTT, i prefer always on because i'm too lazy to press the button to talk. :lol: