PSU PC Gamers Unite!

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 5341224]@ Xelios, i dont like PTT, i prefer always on because i'm too lazy to press the button to talk. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I will ban you if you don't use PTT :snicker. Seriously, PTT is the only way to use Vent or Teamspeak. Having it on constantly annoys the **** outta people.

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 5341244]But it takes so much effort to push to talk... :snicker[/QUOTE]

It also takes a lot of effort to ignore your background noise..

Haven't had time to buy the server today, should have it tomorrow, failing that then Friday at the very latest. I want it up ASAP.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
Yeah man, gotta go with PTT. Background noises are so annoying, most people sound like they live in a vacuum or a windtunnel :lol:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
PTT is a pain it means binding a key and using that key to talk and when playing a game the last thing you want is another key to press when strafing, sprinting, jumping, ducking, switching weapons and then firing said weapon I simply don't have enough fingers or time to do it.
Best off with Voice activated i use it all the time in Teamspeak3 which is a massive improvement over TS2.

The reason we can hear background noise and soundlike is because people have not configured their mic sensitivity properly

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
My point is not about accesibility and if the game uses such a key its more about how difcult it is to press the binded talk key when pressing other keys required to manouver out of the way of danger whilst shooting the enemy and retreating.

Those actions I listed in my previous post are all done at the same time not one after the other so for me its not possible to press a keybind for talking hence wy I use Voice activation.
I am merely pointing out the downside of PTT and why I prefer Voice activation and if setyup correct there should be no background vacuum noises.

Last edited:

Arkano6

Elite Guru
May 27, 2008
Southampton
How can you not manage to use a PTT key with your left pinky whilst still using WASD?

I use the tilde key on my keyboard, my left pinky rests there, it's a godsend.

Nov 22, 2005
I use my computer left handed. I use my Logitech MX310 ambidextrous mouse left handed with right handed buttons and I use the right side of my keyboard, such as the arrow keys, to play my games.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Arkano6, post: 5341789]How can you not manage to use a PTT key with your left pinky whilst still using WASD?

I use the tilde key on my keyboard, my left pinky rests there, it's a godsend.[/QUOTE]

I can reach it but i am pressing other more important movement keys instead, I simply do not have enough fingers.

[video=youtube;pWowdXaHmmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWowdXaHmmg[/video]

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2005
Seriously, I still feel like one of the extreme few that actually plays left handed with my right hand on the arrow keys. I'm probably about as rare as an A Negative blood type (which I am).

Kydosan

Forum Elder
Apr 3, 2007
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5341885]Seriously, I still feel like one of the extreme few that actually plays left handed with my right hand on the arrow keys. I'm probably about as rare as an A Negative blood type (which I am).[/QUOTE]
So you use your mouse in your left hand? Do you actually use the cursors, or the numpad?

I mean, WASD is handy because it's pretty much where your hand sits when you're using your computer anyway, and there's like 15+ additional keys in easy reach... Not that I'm judging, I'm hardcore old-school, I still use Z and X for left and right and ; and . for up and down :D

Nov 22, 2005
[QUOTE="Kydosan, post: 5341895]So you use your mouse in your left hand? Do you actually use the cursors, or the numpad?

I mean, WASD is handy because it's pretty much where your hand sits when you're using your computer anyway, and there's like 15+ additional keys in easy reach... Not that I'm judging, I'm hardcore old-school, I still use Z and X for left and right and ; and . for up and down :D[/QUOTE]

I use the cursor keys on the right side. I use the numpad for extra stuff. Like I would use 0 on the numpad to reload, 1 for the USE button, 2 for grenade and so on. I have a 5 button ambidextrous in my Logitech MX310. Normally Right Shift is for jump and Right Control is for crouch.

Kydosan

Forum Elder
Apr 3, 2007
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5341902]I use the cursor keys on the right side. I use the numpad for extra stuff. Like I would use 0 on the numpad to reload, 1 for the USE button, 2 for grenade and so on. I have a 5 button ambidextrous in my Logitech MX310. Normally Right Shift is for jump and Right Control is for crouch.[/QUOTE]
You're an inspiring dude... I'm actually tempted to switch to ESDF (from WASD) after giving it some though, seems like I could be putting my pinky to better use.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Solid' You Might want to think about moving your contrls to where the keys are closer together I now alot of keyboards the arrows are segregated from the rest of the keys thus making it harder to reach your jump or duck etc.

I know a gy that uses a weird keyboard config so weird it doesnt allow him to do certain actions and restricts his movements he cannot jump and strafe left so always jumps right which makes him very predictable.

Becareful I found using ESDF I hit the Windows key alot morethan WASD.

Last edited:

Kydosan

Forum Elder
Apr 3, 2007
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5341910]Becareful I found using ESDF I hit the Windows key alot morethan WASD.[/QUOTE]
How was it other than that? Did you find yourself getting any more use out of the extra keys to the left?

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="SolidSnakeUS, post: 5341912]Why fix what ain't broke? I love my configuration. Also, it's funny screwing with people and saying I'm weird.[/QUOTE]

I used to use the arrows too but realised it was restricting my ability to move efficiently because I couldn't reach the keys properly also there are alot less keys to bind things to.

[QUOTE="Kydosan, post: 5341915]How was it other than that? Did you find yourself getting any more use out of the extra keys to the left?[/QUOTE]
I found myself pressing W too much amd wonderign why I wasn't moving so after about a week I gave up.

Last edited: