Quantic Dream no longer making PlayStation exclusives

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human studio Quantic Dream will no longer develop games exclusively for PlayStation platforms.

It follows a series of controversies for the studio, most notably the allegations of an unhealthy studio culture reported a year ago by a team of French journalists from Le Monde, Canard PC and Mediapart.

For its part, Quantic Dream labelled the extensive reports as a "smear" - and then quietly began suing the journalists who published the story.

The only thing which has reached the courts so far is an employment case brought against Quantic Dream by a former staff member who quit due to conditions at the studio. Quantic Dream lost.

In an interview published today on Variety and Venturebeat, Quantic Dream bosses David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière said it leaving PlayStation exclusivity behind was a new beginning for their company.

Quantic Dream has instead secured funding for future projects from Chinese mega-publisher NetEase (the same company which recently invested in Bungie's new non-Destiny IP, and is working on the Diablo mobile game as part of a long-running partnership with Blizzard).

NetEase exec Simon Zhu said it was aware of the allegations against Quantic Dream's studio culture but was satisfied regardless.

"A company of our size and stature doesn't make investments lightly, and we have of course taken great care in analysing all aspects of Quantic Dream, in particular, the studio culture. This is very important for us, as we take great care of these matters in our own company. We have been able to spend time with the Quantic Dream team, to get to know the studio culture, and we have seen nothing that points to any of the allegations published by certain press."
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...dream-no-longer-making-playstation-exclusives

Quantic Dream: Become Multiplatform.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah it's crazy how powerful these Chinese gaming giants are. Yeah Sony just has to look for some new talent. I hope if Lost Soul Aside does well they could with them and should of gave Cygames a hand but Nintendo beat them to it but.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Yeah it's crazy how powerful these Chinese gaming giants bank accounts are. Yeah Sony just has to look for some new talent. I hope if Lost Soul Aside does well they could with them and should of gave Cygames a hand but Nintendo beat them to it but.
fixed it for you.:):) They are gonna rule the world with their unlimited ammount of dollars.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
fixed it for you.:):) They are gonna rule the world with their unlimited ammount of dollars.
This talk of getting China into the gaming industry years ago and the potential funny I don't believe they were gonna guess what was going to happen:LOL::LOL:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
They sure had made plans but I don't think anyone forsee this kind of domination over the west world.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
After trying to play Detroit, I think these type of games have had their time and now they do not interest me. I keep falling asleep playing them.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Quantum Dream was already a multi-platform developer. The games they made for PlayStation is similar to what Remedy was doing with Microsoft.
I forget that Indigo Prophecy also released on Xbox and PC. I always associated it with PlayStation 2 because of the demo disc from OPM. And it was the same year we got Shadow of the Colossus and God of War.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
I liked heavy rain and Detroit even Fahrenheit was good! I don't think sony lost much tbh, I'm thinking there are fans of cinematic gameplay but it's not for everyone least iv enjoyed the games. But let's see what they're next project is.