R.I.P Vita, Sony has finally given up on you!

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Sony has confirmed its first-party studios are no longer working on PS Vita titles.

Sony Computer Entertainment SVP Masayasu Ito told 4Gamers (via DualShockers) that from here on out, all attention has been switched to PS4.

23 Oct 2015
Sony Confirms it's Stopped First-Party Vita Development
Attention has now shifted to the PS4.

By Luke Karmali Sony has confirmed its first-party studios are no longer working on PS Vita titles.

Sony Computer Entertainment SVP Masayasu Ito told 4Gamers (via DualShockers) that from here on out, all attention has been switched to PS4.

"Currently, first-party studios have no titles in development for PS Vita," he said. "Since third-parties are working very hard on PS Vita, SCE’s own strategy is to focus on PS4, which is a new platform.

“At the beginning the PS Vita did not resonate with age targets under 20, but now the situation is changing and the popularity with younger demographics is increasing. Minecraft: PS Vita Edition has provided a boost.

"In addition to that, a variety of third party games is also planned for the future, and in order to further accelerate that flow, we decided to release new colors for the PS Vita this fall.”

We heard a similar thing from Sony at E3 this year, but it seemed then the door had been left open for future releases. It seems this is no longer the case.
Seems as though the final nail has been hammered into the Vita's coffin, not surprised given Sony's lack of interest, such a shame because it could have been so much more!

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Well...they finally admitted it at least. Doesn't make it any less shitty though. Vita goes to top of the "what might have been" list, imo.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Vita is an amazing handheld. It's bloated with features and fast hardware but the market just couldn't sustain it. It has some good games on it and in conjunction with a PS4 it's especially valuable, but if Sony is dropping the device then it's only a matter of time before it fades out. What a shame.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
They gave up ages ago.
They just didn't have the balls to admit it.
'Vita is an amazing device'
'Vita is wonderful'
'Vita this, Vita that'

Pussies.
Create a device with loads of potential and then just pretty much forget about it...
If they ever gave it a DECENT amount of support they'd get a lot out of it...
Still very, véry disappointed in Sony about this.

Sep 9, 2015
Seems nobody can compete with Nintendo in the handheld section of gaming. They have had it pretty much to themselves since the Gameboy released. Plenty of other devices have come and gone and none are anywhere near as popular.

How do Nintendo do it?

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
Good thing i decided to never look upon the vita.

Would sony ever bother with another handheld? I doubt, the market conditions have changed substantially in the past few years with the boom of mobile gaming, it's no longer the same market conditions for a dedicated handheld as they were when sony first put out psp.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I shall keep my Vita but only for use with PS Now, once I move and have decent internet I shall use my phone of tablet for remote play if and when I need to, like people say such as shame because it had so much potential!

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
me thinks Sony is simply giving up on it because it's probably better right now to cut losses than do another PS3-like effort. not worth it.
they were in deep trouble last gen, that's why they had to fight the battle. they have a PS4 that is giving them money for no reason...why not spend more money on that?
that has much higher returns. some other company could've saved Vita. it's like Activision, they drop franchises and can games for little reasons. because they know their real cash cow is COD. so they try to replicate that sort of a franchise rather than worry about struggling franchises.
Vita's fate is ultimately decided due to the success of the PS4.
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6483577]It's bloated with features...[/QUOTE]:lol: hence the problem. why the fuck bloat it with features that drive up the cost? could they not have done more on the PS4? of course, but it would drive up the cost.

i heard the 3DS has a shitty screen even after OLED was taken out of the first gen vita. what does that tell you? only nerds care about the screen. 3DS is selling like hot cakes. Nerds don't drive the market, they don't make up the majority. so why make a nerdy device? make something that is efficient and works for what it is being used for.

people don't care about quality as long as it's close enough. it 3DS' screen painstaking to look at compared to the Vita screen? if not, then they're spending money on something that isn't of value to the customer. it's like PS Vita was built by a bunch of monkeys working inside Playstation division while the PS4 was left up to the professionals.

it makes no goddamn sense that they both came out around the same time.

if the handheld was $99, i'd pay more attention. it's just too damn expensive right now.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6483546]Well...they finally admitted it at least. Doesn't make it any less shitty though. Vita goes to top of the "what might have been" list, imo.[/QUOTE]
But the fact that they said "currently" as though the situation might change in the future doesn't really strike me as the company admitting they've abandoned the platform permanently. If they're expecting people to buy the PS Vita again in the future they'll have to do more than introduce new colors and their "variety" of third-party games.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6483583]Good thing I decided to give up on my Vita 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]
I hear you.

[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6483606]i heard the 3DS has a shitty screen even after OLED was taken out of the first gen vita. what does that tell you? only nerds care about the screen. 3DS is selling like hot cakes. Nerds don't drive the market, they don't make up the majority. so why make a nerdy device? make something that is efficient and works for what it is being used for.

people don't care about quality as long as it's close enough. it 3DS' screen painstaking to look at compared to the Vita screen? if not, then they're spending money on something that isn't of value to the customer. it's like PS Vita was built by a bunch of monkeys working inside Playstation division while the PS4 was left up to the professionals.

it makes no goddamn sense that they both came out around the same time.

if the handheld was $99, i'd pay more attention. it's just too damn expensive right now.[/QUOTE]
If there's any handheld that I plan to purchase again, it'll be the 3DS or whatever its successor ends up being that supposedly works alongside the NX.

I could care less about "the best screen" or the "best graphics". I've gotten more mileage out of Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS than most PS Vita titles... and that's not to say that Sony didn't have some great PS Vita titles, as I thought Gravity Rush was a great experience, but the best tech doesn't necessarily determine the best experience for me.

Luckily for Sony, the PS4 has great support as well as the best tech in home consoles right now.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
hence the problem. also, i've had this issue since PSP was new...Sony doesn't understand what makes Nintendo's handhelds so cool...it's the fact that most games on their handhelds can't be seen anywhere else.

whereas PSP and Vita are just watered down Playstation consoles. that's why i have never liked them. give me something interesting, something that works better on a handheld. don't give me KZ on a handheld...

EDIT: about PS4 being the best tech and most popular console. yeah, that is a blessing for console gamers. that's the way it should be. basically PS4 is what PS3 should've been or what we thought it was going to be. but the PS3 had to be more like the 360 to succeed, keep the power but also be easy to dev for and have gamer features built into the OS. guess what PS4 is lol.

basically an upgraded PS3 with all the 360 goods.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2014
www.facebook.com
Yeah sucks that Vita Died so quickly, the intial Sony Handeheld Fanbase came and went with the PSP. I do like the fact it basically is being left in the dust so the pieces can be picked up by Third Party Developers. I would like to get a team together at some point and make a Vita Game or a Cross Buy Game.

Also seems that most companies that are actively developing for the Vita are also mostly/heavily working on CrossBuy titles or Cross Buyability. Like Buy now and eventually we will develop it for the Vita. Like Resident Evil Revelations 2.

I still like my vita, even though it is currently broken and i will repair it soon, sometime around thanksgiving. Those OLEDs are no joke man, Delicate! But it is for all intensive purposes are tiny PS3. Or a PS4 extender if you have a PS4. which even though i havent done this yet, ive heard Destiny is amazing on a PSP. Fallout 4 will also be implementing some sort of amazing Remote Play Controls.

All in all the Vita was an utter failure, but as the PS4 Ages and Morpheus Flops, which it might. We may see another incarnation of a Sony Handheld. Maybe a Handeheld where Sony gives up on certain things, like Proprietary Cards (MicroSDXC is perfect Sony), Fancy Screen Gimmicks (Noones bought into Curved Screens, OLEDs kinda went that way too), and trying to rob people with uneeded extras, like 3G as were globally standardizing 4G LTE. Maybe then we will see and awesome handheld that will easily outsell a nintendo handheld.

Also, right now Sony is literally bathing in money. The Vita may have flopped but PS NOW is a huge success from what i hear from certain circles. Given that the Vita and Vita TV have flopped early on they are selling out in many places and games are becoming rare and scarce. Mostly because of a lack of a true international market. PS Plus is literally overtaking Xbox Live by a small margain. Also because of the 20th Anniversary Stuff that happened with the playstation there is also extreme value when it comes to certain PS4 Games and such. Because many Devs have been allowed to make all sorts of rare cool physical versions of their digital games because of how cheap Blue Rays are.

So, We will see another Handheld eventually, right now lets just worry about buying up all the current games and snagging all the trophies so sony thinks we want another handheld!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Jim Ryan said:
"To clarify what was said about Vita, which was either misinterpreted or misreported: I think what was said was that we’re no longer in the business of triple-A development of games for Vita. But there is still first-party Vita content being worked upon."
Source

"First party content" that isn't triple-A developed, a "variety" of third party games, and new colors! I can just imagine this product flying off store shelves like never before! /sarcasm

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Not surprising at least but least there's still some 3rd party offerings. Some awesome games actually came for it and from the sounds of things Sony will unlikely do any Sony made JRPGs :( Wishing that they would remake Legend Of Dragoon :(

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6484877]No worries. Fixed my post.

"Concentrate all of that negativity into the comments section of our own article, buddy!" :snicker[/QUOTE]
Negativity? Not sure what was negative about it :lol:
We don't have any articles.. ;)

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Yep. Got my money's worth out of Vita for sure. The PS+ titles alone made it worth the buy. But when the games dried up and it started collecting dust, I gave up on Vita.

I don't buy Sony's "clarification". Wish they would have just stuck to the truth. They have no interest in continuing to develop games for Vita. Only reason it is alive it because of its popularity in Japan........where they actually have Vita games.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
I like Vita for remote play. I don't use it that often anymore but I love having the option when I need it. Shame it's being dropped...on paper it was the dream handheld but it didn't catch on.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
good because it'll go down in price soon enough lol. i have almost bought the vita for around $160 several times. i actually bought the first gen a while back but had to return it because it was crap. but i'll eventually get it for the PS+ and PS4 remote play. not for me but for my kid. i'll already have a collection of games. no need to build one.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Utterly depressing just how poorly Sony managed the whole PS Vita product and life-cycle. This should be used in Harvard as an example of what happens when a kick ass product releases to an eagerly waiting market without careful forethought to pricing, third-party buy in and good marketing.

Ours only gets used now when we go on vacation.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6483591]I shall keep my Vita but only for use with PS Now, [/QUOTE]
I'm afraid PS Vita support for PS Now is not available in the UK matey.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6486113]Utterly depressing just how poorly Sony managed the whole PS Vita product and life-cycle. This should be used in Harvard as an example of what happens when a kick ass product releases to an eagerly waiting market without careful forethought to pricing, third-party buy in and good marketing.

Ours only gets used now when we go on vacation.[/QUOTE]well that's just the problem. to make it a kickass product, they had to raise the price because those things are costly. so its not about pricing, it's about putting out a product that does the job but in an inexpensive way.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6486114]I'm afraid PS Vita support for PS Now is not available in the UK matey.[/QUOTE]

It will be eventually though won't it?

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6486124]well that's just the problem. to make it a kickass product, they had to raise the price because those things are costly. so its not about pricing, it's about putting out a product that does the job but in an inexpensive way.[/QUOTE]
Sony are king of over pricing. They could have made slightly lesser profit on the Vita and still had a successful handheld. They over priced the PSPGo, the PS Vita and the PS3 (more understandable given the new Blu-ray technology at the time).