R.I.P Vita, Sony has finally given up on you!

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6486154]Sony are king of over pricing. They could have made slightly lesser profit on the Vita and still had a successful handheld. They over priced the PSPGo, the PS Vita and the PS3 (more understandable given the new Blu-ray technology at the time).[/QUOTE]
i think they're just bad at price cutting. Nintendo also had a high priced device at first. ever since they have cut it down by quite a lot. MS also had issues with the X1...but since then have done well with price cuts and bundles.

the theme i see is that if a product is expensive to make, it's just going to go for a higher price, no way around it. they can't just undercut it that much without scarying shareholders i presume.

look at the PS4, it's nothing fancy. it's simple, (they slyly took out the camera bundle at launch), most importantly, it's to the point. they had to focus on cutting the costs down. the thing could be flashy like the launch PS3 but they learned from that. i just think it's all to do with the PS4 engineer guy, because i thought Vita was following the same footsteps of the PS4 but it really didn't. quite like the PS3 but without support.

flashy products just don't work. but something like 3DS gets away with it because their perky features are unique (3D screen) and likely cheap to make.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6486153]I bloody hope so, but I haven't heard any announcement to that affect yet.[/QUOTE]

Have you looked on the Vita store? Could have sworn that someone in the UK said the other day they had it downloaded........could have been America though........

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6486186]I've got the PS Now app on my Vita. Haven't tried it though and that is on my UK account.[/QUOTE]

I thought I saw someone post about it on here but this just confirms it, shame I will have to wait till the start of December to try it out :(

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Just a quick tip which helps for PS Now on the vita and the Vita in general really.

There's a setting that states something along the lines of (can't remember exact wording) Use Wifi in power save mode. 9/10 people will have this box ticked thinking the Vita will use the wifi when you're in power save/standby. What it actually means is when this is ticked is the wifi range will be decreased to save Vita battery life and it will not take as much data at once as possible. Unticking this box will make your Vita wifi better for downloads ie faster and the range greatly improved.

Since unticking this box my remote play experience has vastly improved and download speeds off the store have tripled sometimes even quadrupled.

Definitely worth checking, everyone who I've told to check about this have had the box ticked thinking it meant something else. You guys may already know but worth having a look :)

Nov 5, 2015
I was reading about this the other day. Too bad because I was nearly ready to spend some money on one for travel purposes. No point if it's all going away :( - And there aren't a lot of serious games on the gameboys and I can't find the words to describe how annoying it is trying to play a full out game on a cellphone screen. It would be ok if the controls are better..........although, I haven't tried a Bluetooth controller...I guess I could do that.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
i don't think Vita is actually being discontinued anytime soon. it will continue to receive games and support. just that Sony has sort of taken their focus off it for business reasons. i'd still buy the thing...although it depends on what you value it. if you feel like you need one immediately, go for it. after this news, i'm waiting for it to go down in price but i definitely want one.

it'll always be good for homebrew.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6486530]it'll always be good for homebrew.[/QUOTE]

PSP is cheaper, and doesn't require double emulation (Rejuvinate doesn't count, because it's tethered to the PC...) If there is ever a true CFW, that'll be great (but I don't want to lose my PS Plus games)

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
This news does not surprise me. I owned a PSP 1000 about nearly 10 years ago and I remember at the time thinking that Sony should of made a mobile phone out of it. This opinion was very popular on this forum at the time. If Sony done it sooner rather than later they might of been able to compete with the iPhone

Jun 25, 2009
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6487513]This news does not surprise me. I owned a PSP 1000 about nearly 10 years ago and I remember at the time thinking that Sony should of made a mobile phone out of it. This opinion was very popular on this forum at the time. If Sony done it sooner rather than later they might of been able to compete with the iPhone[/QUOTE]

The did make a phone albeit a bit late. It didn't do well at all.