Racism still alive?

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pool-Boots-Kids-Who-Might-Change-the-Complexion.html

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion" Campers sent packing after first visit to swim club

By KAREN ARAIZA

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.
The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.

"I said, 'The parents don't want the refund. They want a place for their children to swim,'" camp director Aetha Wright said.

Campers remain unsure why they're no longer welcome.

"They just kicked us out. And we were about to go. Had our swim things and everything," said camper Simer Burwell.

The explanation they got was either dishearteningly honest or poorly worded.

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

While the parents await an apology, the camp is scrambling to find a new place for the kids to beat the summer heat.
Members of the club came forward Thursday to defend the organization. They call the situation a misunderstanding.
It is a shame. But something I found out was still a serious issue while in college. Whites vs blacks and blacks vs whites are still hot issues in certain parts of the country. I find it sad.

I was also reading a story about a young Mexican man being beaten to death, and I just shake my head. What is the point in hating other people?

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
Racism will be here till the end of man kind.
its more common then you think.. here on long island ny
there are a lot of Racism crimes going on.
the cops cover them up

K

Kael

What kind of question is this ? Ofc racism is still alive and kicking. Just look around you ffs. Like coolguy said, it will always be around.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I know this may buck the trend and all, but what if the other kids were being generally louder and more unruly? Maybe the other kids got scared off by more than their color? We weren't there, so how would we know? This is the power of journalism. The events that transpired are merely reflected through binary eyes.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yes, racism is still alive. But thinking it'll go away by turning a blind eye to it is worse than not knowing about it, in my opinion.

zodg1lla

Apprentice
Dec 30, 2008
Swim club president denies racism in pool controversy

HUNTINGDON VALLEY, Pennsylvania (CNN)
-- The president of The Valley Swim Club on Friday strongly denied charges of racism after his club canceled the swimming privileges of a nearby day care center whose children are predominantly African-American.

"It was never our intention to offend anyone," said John Duesler. "This thing has been blown out of proportion."

Duesler said his club -- which he called "very diverse" -- invited camps in the Philadelphia area to use his facility because of the number of pools in the region closed due to budget cuts this summer. He said he underestimated the amount of children who would participate, and the club's capacity to take on the groups was not up to the task.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/10/philly.pool.response/index.html#cnnSTCText
lul, everyone needs to quit crying racism at the drop of a hat. Mediapwned.

Edit: and by everyone I don't mean anybody specific here, I'm more directing it towards the 2 articles on CNN in one day about how racist it was.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Racism should just be renamed to generic human fear and ignorance of that which is different and/or unknown so this question can stop being asked.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Is it racist to assume the kids left because of the other kids race? Maybe the journos have something they need to talk about with their therapists.. Maybe they had negative experiences with white people when they were growing up (Hmm, I wonder if that sounds familiar somehow?)

deepdown

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2008
Racism is alive. It is alive all over the world. It will be alive all over the world as long as man is alive. It cannot be legislated, or governed away.

However I do not believe that the whole stery was told. It never is isn any case. I also do not believe in so called "hate crimes". Crime is not done out of love. There should be no other class.

Feb 16, 2007
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 0]is this a serious question?[/quote]

Obama got elected, dude. All the world's problems have been solved. World peace has been attained.

Get with the program.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
John Duesler[/URL], President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

Well...... maybe they could have handled this "overcrowding" issue with a bit more tact.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE="SnakeDevil, post: 0]Obama got elected, dude. All the world's problems have been solved. World peace has been attained.

Get with the program.[/quote]

I knew it was the right choice to have him elected, even though he was trained in a madrassa and wasn't even born in the USA......

what? Why are you looking at me like that?

I saw it on fox news. It must be true.:snicker

On a serious note I am just sad to hear stuff like this more often, instead of less often. While i guessed there will always be racism (or bigotry) I was hoping that a larger population would have gotten over it by now.

K

Killerinstinct

[QUOTE="SymphonyX, post: 0]Racism ended in america because we have a black president now[/quote]

he is a green president a Show me the $$$$$$$$ elitest SoB owned by the financial elite whos religion is MONEY.

Mar 8, 2008
[QUOTE="Killerinstinct, post: 0]he is a green president a Show me the $$$$$$$$ elitest SoB owned by the financial elite whos religion is MONEY.[/quote]

racism is over now, let us jump with joy!

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
LMFAO, Asians don't count because no one in their right mind hates them LOL

<--- see what I did there? That ish is racist! bwahaha!

Pinski

Dedicated Member
Oct 17, 2008
there will always be the dumbsh-ts who think they are superior to every1 else.....but thats why there are mental hospitals :p

Racism stems from fear.
People are fundamentally scared of anything they don't have a full understanding of.
You attack verbally or physically what you dont understand
Unless that changes (which it wont) then there will always be racism - black on white, white on black, black on asian, asian on black, white on asian....and so on.....