Racist Twitter User Jailed for 56 Days

Firefox

Master Sage
Jan 7, 2006
Canada
Any ambitions this kid had are now over.. his University essentially kicked him out, now this. Sure he's a dick and the University thing I could understand perhaps but jail time?

I am not condoning his words at all in fact they were horrible but jail time over twitter..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467993

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992

Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days

A student who admitted posting racially offensive comments on Twitter about footballer Fabrice Muamba has been jailed for 56 days.

Swansea University student Liam Stacey, 21, from Pontypridd, admitted inciting racial hatred over remarks about the Bolton Wanderers player, who collapsed during a FA Cup tie at Tottenham.

A district judge in Swansea called the comments "vile and abhorrent".

Muamba, 23, who suffered a cardiac arrest, is still in intensive care.

Sentencing Stacey at Swansea Magistrates' Court, District Judge John Charles told him: "In my view, there is no alternative to an immediate prison sentence.

"It was not the football world who was praying for [Muamba].... everybody was praying for his life."

Stacey broke down in tears as he was led away to begin his jail term.

As he passed the public gallery, he was briefly embraced by friends and his parents.

A second year biology student at Swansea, Stacey was arrested after his comments on the social networking site were reported by other users.

A number of people challenged Stacey on Twitter following his first comment, and he responded with a number of offensive posts aimed at other Twitter users.

Last week the court heard how Stacey posted the offensive comments shortly after the former England Under-21 star collapsed during the FA Cup quarter-final at White Hart Lane on 17 March.

Magistrates were told police forces across Britain received complaints following the comments.

'Disciplinary'

Stacey tried to "distance himself" from the tweets by claiming his account had been hacked, the court was told.

He later tried to delete his page but was arrested the following day at his student house in Swansea.

When interviewed by police, Stacey said he had been drinking since lunchtime on Saturday and was drunk when he made the comments.

Stacey was initially released on bail pending sentence and was ordered not to use Twitter and other social networking sites.

A Swansea University spokesperson said: "The student remains suspended from the university pending the conclusion of our disciplinary proceedings."

Stacey is also registered as a player with Treorchy rugby club, where he has turned out for the second team on occasions.

A statement after his arrest said: "The club wishes to completely disassociate itself from these comments and will be carrying out a full investigation into this matter."

Muamba remains in intensive care in a London hospital where his condition is described as serious but stable.

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Read about the twitter incident a few days ago. Like you i can understand why the Uni kicked him out but i don't see why jail-time was needed. You'd think that getting kicked out of Uni would've been enough to send the message home. Guess that wanted to make an example out of him

edit: Wrote weeks instead of days. Bet you lot didn't know i had a time machine.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2007
Was gonna start this thread, look, I think what this guy did was an asshole thing to do, he deserved some form of punishment.

But being kicked out of uni and a 56 day jail sentence, fuck me! Does the punishment fit the crime? Does it hell! Make him do community service, make him give back to the community, maybe some sort of course that could help with social boundaries or something aswell?

Pretty much ruined his own life, because of a tweet.

A dangerous precedent has been set! Watch this space.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
seems like the journalist was trying to belittle him as well by using his surname Stacey like 9 times instead of just calling him Liam.

jail time seems harsh but then again so is posting racist shit up about a guy in hospital.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
So you send the guy to a place with other racists where it's even more rampant. Whatever happened to violence against criminals? Why can't citizens be allowed to their kick their asses without penalty?

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
Well, they can't choose favorites. Might as well start looking into everyone's tweeter and jailing anyone who makes racial remarks. I don't condone the ridiculous comments he made on tweeter but I expected something very serious to have him jailed for 56 days.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
That's stupid. I make jokes about MLK and I go to a predominantly black school. I haven't been kicked out yet, or jailed as far as I know.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
He later tried to delete his page but was arrested the following day at his student house in Swansea.
Lol wtf

[QUOTE="Sylar, post: 5800159]seems like the journalist was trying to belittle him as well by using his surname Stacey like 9 times instead of just calling him Liam.[/QUOTE]

That's just how articles like this one are read :p

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Xelios, post: 5800209]That's stupid. I make jokes about MLK and I go to a predominantly black school. I haven't been kicked out yet, or jailed as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine if your jokes were as bad as what he was tweeting you probably would've been kicked out

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 5800243]Political Correctness wins again.[/QUOTE]

Uhh, Since when did Political correctness = Flat out racism? I don't even think the term PC can be applied here.

edit: NM, read my post and yours a few more times over and my post doesn't make sense. Unless of course you are saying that the dude posting the remarks on twitter didn't deserve any form of punishment?

Last edited:

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5800262]Uhh, Since when did Political correctness = Flat out racism? I don't even think the term PC can be applied here.

edit: NM, read my post and yours a few more times over and my post doesn't make sense. Unless of course you are saying that the dude posting the remarks on twitter didn't deserve any form of punishment?[/QUOTE]

Too much punishment for the crime, to appease the PC crowd.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 5800274]Too much punishment for the crime, to appease the PC crowd.[/QUOTE]

Ah right, yeah i think we are on the same page. I think he did deserve some form of punishment but not really getting a jail sentence

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 5800274]Too much punishment for the crime, to appease the PC crowd.[/QUOTE]

Crowds...

If anything this would just make him show more hatred towards Africans. I don't think he deserved any punishment but if someone felt that way they should have taken it up with him on a personal level.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Sure... pretend you're not selective in what kind of comments are inappropriate or not when dealing with life and death. Seems like no one has a problem with those who make fun of celebrities that have already passed away but, when they're in critical condition, we throw the kid in the jail. Suspending him from his university wasn't a harsh enough punishment, right?

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="hood, post: 5800280]Crowds...

If anything this would just make him show more hatred towards Africans. I don't think he deserved any punishment but if someone felt that way they should have taken it up with him on a personal level.[/QUOTE]

Well in the UK, your freedom of speech is not as protected as it is in the USA.

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
Those who thinks its harsh, have you actually read what he wrote?

I really do not see how this is in any way harsh.

Its a good example, that racism and being offensive to the level he was will not be tolerated.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="LfCpS3, post: 5800332]Those who thinks its harsh, have you actually read what he wrote?

I really do not see how this is in any way harsh.

Its a good example, that racism and being offensive to the level he was will not be tolerated.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked it was actions that mattered, not words.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
The things he said were pretty out of order though. The fact he then tried to act like he didn't do it made it worse. If he wants to give it the big 'un over the internet he should accept whatever he gets.