Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars & Call of Duty Bops 3 (PS3) Won't Have a Story Campaigns

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Rainbow Six: Siege

Ubisoft has confirmed upcoming shooter Rainbow Six Siege will not feature a single-player story campaign.

Speaking to PCGamesN, art director Scott Mitchell confirmed the single-player experience seen in previous instalments from the franchise wouldn't be returning.

“There is no story mode per se,” he said. "You go through training, where you get to experience different operators and their devices. You can play against enemy AI in co-op through all the maps. You can customise matches, so that's what we're offering on the single-player side of things.”

This training experience will, however, enable you to unlock additional content that you can then use in the core multiplayer section of the game.

If you're keen to find out more on what to expect, be sure to check out how the new spectator features add a whole new dynamic to proceedings, while the Terrorist Hunt mode looks set to get its hooks in you.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS3)

Activision confirms that the last-generation versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 will be a multiplayer-focused title only. As such, the last-generation versions of the game will only feature the multiplayer and zombies mode that also come packaged in the PS4, PC and Xbox One editions. This shouldn't come as a surprise, as it was previously hinted that the PS3 version would lack several features compared to the PS4 release.

Unsurprisingly, it appears that hardware limitations of Sony and Microsoft's aging consoles were to blame for the decision: “The ambitious scope of the 1-4 player coop Campaign design of the PS4, Xbox One and PC versions could not be faithfully recreated on old generation hardware.”

In addition to lacking the single-player campaign, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions won't include “features built to leverage the next generation hardware like the new Weapon Paint Shop and the new suite of eSports tools [which] will only be available on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.”

Despite lacking several key features, the game will still retail for $49.99 on previous-gen hardware. However, it will also include a “bonus download for the original Call of Duty: Black Ops (bonus download availability may vary by region)."

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is due out in early November. The game will feature a unique PS4 hardware bundle that includes a copy of the game and a Black Ops 3-themed console and DualShock 4 pad. Zombies mode was among the first features to be confirmed for Black Ops 3, along with confirmation that the shooter will run at 1080p on PS4. Early screenshots of the game looked amusingly like an offspring of Destiny and Titanfall.

Black Ops 3 takes place 40 years after the events of its predecessor in the year 2065. With air assault rendered virtually useless thanks to the application of several high-tech defenses, combat around the globe now takes place behind enemy lines in covert operations. In this war zone however, soldiers possess superhuman abilities, with humans now considered more machine than flesh and blood thanks to the array of enhancements to their bodies.

As with the previous game, Black Ops 3 follows a group of super soldiers belonging to an elite black ops unit as they battle across a series of futuristic environments, wielding an assortment of deadly weaponry. The campaign can be played alone or with up to four friends, while Zombies will include its own campaign as well as multiplayer, along with a revamped XP system.

Star Wars: Battlefront

Why Star Wars Battlefront Doesn't Have a Traditional Single-Player Campaign, Battlefield developer DICE's upcoming shooter Star Wars Battlefront will not have a traditional single-player campaign. Now, the Swedish studio has provided more details on that decision.

Speaking with GameSpot today at Gamescom, senior producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir said Battlefront's history is rooted in multiplayer, and this is something DICE wanted to carry forward with the new game.

"As we concepted the game and thought about the legacy of the previous Battlefront games--they didn't really have campaigns, they've always been predominately a multiplayer franchise. That's what we wanted to do," she explained. "We wanted to focus on the multiplayer."

DICE, of course, is well-versed in multiplayer. The studio created Battlefield, and hopes to carry its experience on that franchise forward to Battlefront.

"From the start it had a pure multiplayer focus," Ingvarsdottir added. "It was a lot of the pedigree of the DICE studio, in terms of having delivered great multiplayer in the past, and for us we feel like this is more of a multiplayer franchise. So that's been the focus."

Although Battlefront won't have a traditional single-player campaign, Ingvarsdottir pointed out that the game does have a Missions mode that you can play either alone, or with a friend locally via split-screen or online.

Some fans are not happy about Battlefront not having a single-player campaign. But the game--based on one of the biggest and well-known entertainment franchises on the planet--of course was never going to be able to please everyone.

"People have so many expectations toward Star Wars," Ingvarsdottir said. "It's so vast. There's so many things that you want from it. We have to focus."

Previously, DICE general manager Patrick Bach said the studio never even considered a single-player campaign for Battlefront.

Earlier today during EA's Gamescom briefing, we got a first look at Battlefront's 10v10 dogfighting mode, Squadron Fighter.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
Unfortunately I think the lack of SP is going to be a more common theme as games get more 'connected'. Personally I mourn the loss, given the choice I would rather have a robust SP than MP in a lot of cases, but it seems likely I am in the minority for this

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Not a fan of always online game & having to pay for plus or live to use the games is why i hate the move, i want my money's worth an i like single player experiences a lot more than online play! for instance Uncharted, TLoU, MGS, ect online for me is just a bonus yes its fun but its not a everyday thing for me as i like to play alone without being bothered & enjoy the game story's/campaigns.

The New NFS for instance is another game that needs online to play but it does have single player but its locked as you need plus or live to play it! certainly not a fan loved the games but it not the right move. so no buy.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
This shit pisses me off! Why do they go the cheap route of not having a campaign. Due to contrary belief shooters are not just for online gameplay. Especially considering Vegas 1&2 had very good campaigns. Such a shame. Guess that loses what little interest I had for that game. Way to go Ubisoft.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6478476]For me, that's an automatic no-buy unless it's AT LEAST 1/3 cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You give me a partial product. Then I'll buy for partial price.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Battlefront I kinda get. The original two didn't really have a story mode either, just missions that basically incorporated levels from the movies, that's it. But Rainbow Six not having a story? Pass.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6478473]This $#@! pisses me off! Why do they go the cheap route of not having a campaign. Due to contrary belief shooters are not just for online gameplay. Especially considering Vegas 1&2 had very good campaigns. Such a shame. Guess that loses what little interest I had for that game. Way to go Ubisoft.[/QUOTE]

I don't play the campaign of shooters but I agree that this is too stupid. I'd never buy an online only game again after MAG and Socom: Confrontation. You're not going to long stroke me again, Game Industry!