Raspberry pi 3

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
The pi 3 released just last month it has a 1.2ghz quad core 64bit ARMv8 CPU, 1GB of RAM, built in WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 all for £30.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/

Thinking of getting one to use as a media centre because my current device WDTV live keeps locking up and crashing when I plug hard drives in, not only that it was slow as heck to begin with.
there are plenty of guides and operating systems created especially for media centre purposes and some retailers even supply the pi with an SD card installed with OS and everything else you need such as a case, power supply for around 50-60 pounds.

Does anyone have experience of a raspberry pi?

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
It arrived, just installed OSMC, boots up faster than my PC with SSD.

One thing I have noticed though it seems to be running at pi2 speeds of 900MHz and not 1200MHz.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Watching Star Trek Voyager through our NAS storage wirelessly right now. Just finalized the setup and hooked it to our main TV today. Plays EVERY vid we've thrown at it all day. As for the 900/1200mhz, it appears to scale up and down. We installed Open elect as the OS and used SMC as the protocol to access our NAS wirelessly without needing a PC running in the background. We are VERY pleased. Even some of our TV remote functions are automatically working to control the device's basic functions right through the HDMI cable. That was an unexpected bonus.

Certainly looks better and runs smoother than the Android device we were using before, and without all the auto-hassles that pop up on Android devices. No marketplace login required, since everything is freeware. Woot!

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I was using OSMC but it was unstable certain folders that contained jpeg would crash the system every time but entering those folders usign VIDEO section was fine. OPen elec seems to not have that issue so far on those exact same folder.
Some video that did not work on my WDTV do work on this device/OS.
Apparently you can get hardware decoding of VC-1 and mpeg2 (DVD iso rips or VOB) for £3.60 or I think $4, might just do it, its cheap enough.

Ont he CPU speed I was readignthe wrong section, I entered "Overclock" which still had settigns for Pi2. Looking at the right info now shows 1200MHz.

Yes the HDMI CEC control is great, I can't do it on my TV in my bedroom though as it only supports a basic version of just simply turning on and off devices its a fairly old TV.

Last edited:

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Yeah I have some experience. Set my second edition PI up with Kodi and then installed the Beast on it - worked like a charm

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I did buy the codecs for VC1 and MPEG2 and they work extremely well. I would recommend you to buy them if using for a media centre.
I also found out there are apps for iOS and Android to control onpenelec or Kodi so until you buy a remote its all you need. Currently using "Kore" for Android. I would much prefer to use a remote of some sort and was thinking of a Harmony until I saw some videos that show a delay in every button press which Logitech confirm is there and cannot be removed :(
After a remote then a bluetooth keyboard withh touchpad would be next best t hing I think but currently the bluetooth doesn't seem to work with this version.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Rayder, post: 6506718]Using Open Elec, it plays ALL our NAS media files without adding any codecs. What are the codecs even for? Playing BluRays or something?[/QUOTE]
They are for hardware support of the codec, mpeg2 for DVD playback. And I think Vc1 for Blu ray. The pi can decode them without buying the codec licences but it will use software and lots of CPU usage so can lag.