Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - Opinions & Discussion

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So, I've played this game for a few hours so far and the only thing I can do is to join the choir. The game looks absolutely fantastic and it's really fun to play. The loading of complete new levels (the rift jumping) almost instantly is very impressive.

I'm playing it in fidelity mode right now, because I want the best possible image quality, I want to see the game in its full glory and I also do it so I can get the best screenshots possible. I might play it in performance RT mode later on. I'm taking my time to play this game as usual, I'm going for finding all the collectible items and I wanna see as much of this game as possible in this playthrough.

You are all welcome to add your thoughts and impressions in this thread. The only thing I ask of you is that you put things that are really spoilery in spoiler tags since this is a new game.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Damn. Those screenshots are awesome! I plan on picking this up as soon as I can get my hands on a PS5. I tried today through Sony's PS Direct, but got booted out of the waiting line queue like 15mins before the sale went live and couldn't get back in.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Damn. Those screenshots are awesome! I plan on picking this up as soon as I can get my hands on a PS5. I tried today through Sony's PS Direct, but got booted out of the waiting line queue like 15mins before the sale went live and couldn't get back in.
Yeah, and none of these screenshots are taken during a cut scene, they are all from gameplay moments. The photo mode is really good, there's tons of more options than the ones I've used in these screenshots. I've mostly only put the camera in the position that I want and adjusted the DOF settings in these pictures. The second picture in the first post I played around with the lighting a bit, since it was pretty dark there.

Unlucky. I bet it was scalper bots that booted you from the queue. I would be a bit salty if it happened to me. I hope you have better luck next time.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Just suggest me whether I should waste my money and time on this or not
It depends if you like this type of game or not. It also depends on how much of the game you plan on playing. Some people just rush through the main story without doing any side stuff and in that case I would probably not recommend paying full price for this game. But if you are like me and try to do everything in the game then I think it's worth full price. But did you have a PS5? I thought you didn't have one, this is a PS5 only game. If you don't, I would wait until I had one if I were you, the price might have gone down by then.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So, I've finished the game now, it took me 28 hours to finish, but I guess that most people will do it faster than that. I played it in fidelity mode and on normal difficulty. Normal difficulty is quite easy, imo. There were only a couple of moments that felt somewhat challenging, when it comes to the combat. I only died a few times in combat, I died mostly from the traversal in general. So, I recommend anyone who wants a challenge to play the game on a higher difficulty.

First of all, this game is a really fun experience and the gameplay is really fun, imo. It's like playing a Pixar/DreamWorks movie. It's a light hearted and uplifting experience. If you go in with that mindset, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If I'm going to compare this to the 2016 game (which is the only one I've played all the way through), this game wins in all aspects. Everything is more polished and feels better executed. The graphics, the combat, the design of the levels and the fun factor and so on.

The game is a visual and technical showcase of what the PS5 can do, but I have a feeling this is just the beginning. The fact that there is almost no load screens once you've started the game up, except for maybe during cinematics and transitions, adds to the overall experience, imo.

The quality of the models and textures is definitely among the best I've seen in a game so far. The characters looks absolutely amazing. But if I'm going to be nit picky about some aspect of the graphics, it's the environments. Even though they look really good, they don't look as good as the characters overall. That's pretty much the only thing about the graphics that doesn't always look amazing, it "only" looks good in some places.

The exploring is fun, because it rewards you for collecting the collectibles. You get everything from the upgrade material (Raritanium) to armor parts by exploring and doing side missions. My recommendation is to not skip these things.

The use of the DualSense is really good in this game, its features is used in everything from the weapons to the interaction with the environments. It also plays sounds through the speaker when using some weapons for example.

I might come back to this game later on and play the Challenge Mode (New Game+), since there are one trophy that you can only get in that mode. I was really close to platinum this game, but that one trophy prevents you from getting the platinum in one playthrough.

Favourite weapons was: The Enforcer, Mr. Fungi, Topiary Sprinkler, Drillhound, Warmonger, and Headhunter.

The Good:
* The graphics is definitely some of the best I've seen in a game
* The game is really fun to play
* The combat felt really good overall
* The technical part of this game is really impressive
* The exploring was fun and rewarding
* The use of the DualSense was really good in this game
* The weapon variety is really good

The Bad:
* The enemy variety could've been better (it's not bad, but could've been a bit better)
* I had a few, not many at all, glitches and the game crashed two times for me
* The graphics wasn't as good looking in all aspects (but this is just nit picky of me)

I have probably forgotten something, but overall this was a really good and fun experience. I enjoyed it a lot and for me it was definitely worth the price. I think it's worth somewhere in the area of a 8.5/10 for me. A really, really good game, imo.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Wow. 28hrs to complete? Are you going to platinum trophy the game? Most of the online reviews I've watched suggested around an 11hr playthrough, if you skip a lot of the side mission stuff. Did you complete most of the side objectives? Sounds like you just need to do one more playthrough via Challenge Mode to unlock it.

Overall, it sounds like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is definitely worth picking up, both for fans of the series or action platformers. In addition, it looks like it's worth picking up just to see what next-gen is capable of, as this is a great showcase for the power of the PS5.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Wow. 28hrs to complete? Are you going to platinum trophy the game? Most of the online reviews I've watched suggested around an 11hr playthrough, if you skip a lot of the side mission stuff. Did you complete most of the side objectives? Sounds like you just need to do one more playthrough via Challenge Mode to unlock it.

Overall, it sounds like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is definitely worth picking up, both for fans of the series or action platformers. In addition, it looks like it's worth picking up just to see what next-gen is capable of, as this is a great showcase for the power of the PS5.
Yeah, I've done absolutely everything I could do in one playthrough, including collect all collectibles and unlocking all weapons that is unlockable in the first playthrough. I only have three trophies left (including the Platinum Trophy). I'm probably going to go back to this game later on and get the Platinum, but I think I'll play a couple of other games in between before I do that. Yeah, if the playthrough is only around 10 hours they have probably not done everything there is to do. But I guess it's possible to do it faster than I did, I run around and explore a lot.

I definitely think it's worth it.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So, I have got the platinum now. I had almost forgotten how much fun this game was to play.

I changed the visual mode to Performance RT (60fps w. RT) when I started Challenge Mode (New Game+) and I gotta say, the visuals doesn't take much of a hit at all. I don't know how they managed to keep it almost the same visually as the regular Fidelity mode (30fps w. RT), but the game looks really good in this mode too. That's quite impressive, they must have a really good upscaling solution in their engine.

I would definitely recommend people to play this game in the Performance RT mode, the increased smoothness you get in that mode and that you don't seem to lose too much visual fidelity makes it the best way to experience the game, imo.