RE 5 graphics comparison

saint seya

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2007
[QUOTE="wishcraft, post: 0]plagiarism!! you stole that quote from spiderman the movie!! ;P[/quote]
i did it intentionally... lol but at least you notice that :rolleyes:
and yes (spiderman is one of my favourites superheroes;))

Sep 29, 2008
Guarantee these games will be identical by launch, any way the video on gametrailers was a much better indication of quality because it was in motion which is kinda how you play the game lol. The difference right now doesn't even seem to be big enough to notice unless you compare the **** side by side.

SpyroViper

The Derailer
May 9, 2008
The PC is Capcom's Lead dev platform due to their engine architecture, so it's easier to code the game to work on PPC CPU's and the 360's 'PC' like architecture.

Even though the 360 relatively is slightly weaker in the CPU departments compared to the PS3, the 360's GPU is easier for develoeprs to use compared to the PS3's (tweaked) Nvidia GPU, mostly down to the RAM and the way the GPU interacts with the rest of the system.

**Edit**

GTA4 on the PS3 was rendered in sub HD 1152x965 (I Think, might have to clarify) so even though it used 2xAA, it was still jaggier than the 360's Native 720p (1280x720) render.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="SpyroViper, post: 0]The PC is Capcom's Lead dev platform due to their engine architecture, so it's easier to code the game to work on PPC CPU's and the 360's 'PC' like architecture.

Even though the 360 relatively is slightly weaker in the CPU departments compared to the PS3, the 360's GPU is easier for develoeprs to use compared to the PS3's (tweaked) Nvidia GPU, mostly down to the RAM and the way the GPU interacts with the rest of the system.[/quote]

This is the same engine that was used for DMC4 and that title was identical on both platforms, not sure what the hell happened with lost planet, but RE5 is their flagship title, equal quality shouldn't be a problem.

I wasn't aware that GTA4 had AA on PS3, the 360 version certainly didn't seem to have any. I would think that the lower resolution plus AA would make it less jaggy?

Sep 10, 2005
Two versions with different development time isn't the best thing to be compared.It will be a better comparison when the games are out.Then we can see what they manage to do with both systems.

theJZA

Superior Member
Nov 29, 2007
Orlando, FL
It's not about the graphics, but the lighting... it'd be a tad bit more creepier if it was darker, as the 360 shows. I have a PS3, so I'm getting it for the PS3 though... Like someone said on my360.com, it'll probably run smoother on the PS3

A

Auzrial

I read some where that most of the trailers for the game are from the ps3 version and it looks pretty darn good so I'm probably gonna go with that. plus I just dont think I could get used to using an xbox controller for a RE game as I played all the other ones with a ps1/ps2 controller.

SpyroViper

The Derailer
May 9, 2008
Why would it run smoother on the PS3? I just wish developers stopped making 720p and started making games in 1080p and not as graphically intensive.

bliss177

Dedicated Member
Mar 8, 2006
[QUOTE="girlgamer1984, post: 0]What a big surprise! It is beyond me, how you people judge multipltform games, totally ignoring the visual quality of games like Heavenly Sword, MGS4, UnCharted, Killzone2 etc etc.

In the exclusive front, PS3 beats 360 easily. Since multi games have a lot of polotics involved, I will not judge a console based on Multi games. I mean, this is just plain insane![/quote]

Finally some common sense. have you seen Uncharted2 early build ? it's looking insane, above everything else.
Back on topic, the Game will be identical on launch.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="SpyroViper, post: 0]Why would it run smoother on the PS3? I just wish developers stopped making 720p and started making games in 1080p and not as graphically intensive. Killzone 2 has a native res of 1080i so it's possible.[/quote]

God I hope that never happens. 1080p is just pointless this gen, these systems cannot handle it, there wouldn't be a small downgrade, the games would look like ****.

1080i is comparable to 720p, 1080p is way out there.

SpyroViper

The Derailer
May 9, 2008
Wipeout HD looks fantastic in 1080p native. But true, the consoles can't manage it with everything else going on.. Hopefully RE5 has a 1080 horizontal resolution but a lower vertical like 960x1080, at least it would look nice upscaled into 1080p.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="SpyroViper, post: 0]Wipeout HD looks fantastic in 1080p native. But true, the consoles can't manage it with everything else going on.. Hopefully RE5 has a 1080 horizontal resolution but a lower vertical like 960x1080, at least it would look nice upscaled into 1080p.[/quote]

It may be manageable if they do a trick like Wipeout did, but 720p is perfect IMO.

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
Naturally, everyone wants the best quality graphics for their respective consoles, but I actually have no gripes. I'm hoping for a quality game instead. The game is visually pleasing enough as it is. Like a few people have been saying: That's just the nature of multi-platform games. They don't hold up to exclusive games on a visual perspective. Even with that, there should be no reason why that would make you not enjoy the game and if it is, then I question the purpose of playing games.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethalmind, post: 0]Naturally, everyone wants the best quality graphics for their respective consoles, but I actually have no gripes. I'm hoping for a quality game instead. The game is visually pleasing enough as it is. Like a few people have been saying: That's just the nature of multi-platform games. They don't hold up to exclusive games on a visual perspective. Even with that, there should be no reason why that would make you not enjoy the game and if it is, then I question the purpose of playing games.[/quote]

I think RE5 is one of the few MP games that can stand toe to toe with almost any exclusive game out there. It looks fantastic.

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
[QUOTE="Blackout'08, post: 0]I think RE5 is one of the few MP games that can stand toe to toe with almost any exclusive game out there. It looks fantastic.[/quote]
It does look good. I just don't see why this is a major issue......

SpyroViper

The Derailer
May 9, 2008
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 0]yeh thats bound to be fixed by launch, it looks like it needs a couple of extra graphics passes.

I doubt they would launch it like that, the difference stands out like a sore thumb![/quote]

Well they did it with Lost Planet. What's stopping them from doing it again?

webshark

Forum Elder
Jun 7, 2007
i find it interesting that in almost every single comparison i see, it seems the PS3 version is significantly lighter than the 360. its like the 360 version has the contrast cranked up or something

anyways, my360.com did NOT make the comparisons guys, read his comments at the end. he got it from IGN.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="webshark, post: 0]i find it interesting that in almost every single comparison i see, it seems the PS3 version is significantly lighter than the 360. its like the 360 version has the contrast cranked up or something

anyways, my360.com did NOT make the comparisons guys, read his comments at the end. he got it from IGN.[/quote]

That just comes with the territory, Nvidia cards all seem to render noticibly lighter than ATI cards.

@Lethalmind-Well this kind of stuff matters to people like me, simply because I would like to know which platform to buy it on, I am obsessed with getting the best possible experience.

Don't know why single console owners get so obsessed with comparisons sometimes.

XMW

Super Elite
Jun 22, 2008
It could have been an older build, we should wait for the full game release with comparising

psp&me

Dedicated Member
Mar 27, 2006
The differences are shocking to me, if this is any hint at the quality of the PS3 version... I may just skip it.

B

bruiser07

yeah ps3 version looks way ****tier, but i bet they improve it a lot before they release it. the 360 isn't that much better than the ps3 at rendering shading. the ps3 is always going to look slightly blurrier, but it isn't that bad when compared to the 360. if they release it looking as far apart as it does in those screens then their ps3 team should be fired.

A

Ali_Ps3addict

Omg when the hell will they stop making these comparisons !? c'mon both look great

Idenowhereiam

Bandw!dth Savior
Oct 26, 2006
In Miami, man <3
[QUOTE="girlgamer1984, post: 0]What a big surprise! It is beyond me, how you people judge multipltform games, totally ignoring the visual quality of games like Heavenly Sword, MGS4, UnCharted, Killzone2 etc etc.

In the exclusive front, PS3 beats 360 easily. Since multi games have a lot of polotics involved, I will not judge a console based on Multi games. I mean, this is just plain insane![/quote]

Yet, as we near every release theres another one of these threads..
Sigh.. Face it there really isn't a point to making these kinds of threads.. It'll always be the same thing.

Multipltform games 360 has the edge, and usually will with the ps3 getting the port..
Compare exclusives if you want to see whats what...

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
[QUOTE="Blackout'08, post: 0]@Lethalmind-Well this kind of stuff matters to people like me, simply because I would like to know which platform to buy it on, I am obsessed with getting the best possible experience.

Don't know why single console owners get so obsessed with comparisons sometimes.[/quote]
Well since you have both consoles you do reserve that right and nobody's saying that you don't have that right. It's just my opinion. Even with the slight tweaks in graphics, you'd still get the same game. Now if there was difference in DLC, then that could be a bigger issue regarding what you want

And Idk why people do get so obsessed with it. I own one console and tbh if I had 2, I'd probably buy it for PS3 anyway because I love my PS3.....

Mar 11, 2006
You all do realize those pictures are doctored, don't you? It is interesting that Gametrailers does a video comparison of the two demos, and Gametrailers has an established history of doctoring these comparison videos, but with this one, almost all the comments, for a change, say the comparison was virtually identical.

Then we get this hole-in-the-wall website that has mouse-over comparisons and suddenly, the PS3 is much worse. Of course, the author of that website page makes this clear right in the first couple of sentences where he says:
Its common knowledge that the Xbox 360 has a sharper output that the Playstation 3.
Gee, there wouldn't be any pre-drawn conclusion there, would there?

Nobody is noticing his explanation of how he is doctoring the images. Here are a couple of key sentences:
Another thing you should note is that I took these shots through component video output on both consoles.
Not even using HDMI. Why didn't he just use 480p capture for the PS3?
Also worth mentioning is the fact that you aren't viewing these screenshots in an uncompressed format, however the same compression levels were used for each version.
There is also clear evidence he doctored the images. Take the skull one and mouse over back and forth while paying attention to the green health/ammunition status circle. Notice how it goes darker for the 360 and lighter for the PS3? This is a very simple Photoshop thing to do with the gamma slider bar, as well as add blur effects.

http://www.the-horror.com/imagecomp...s07.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb07.jpg

Another interesting thing to note about that mouse-over image is his HTML code for displaying that mouse-over has the 1st image presented as the 360 image is labeled as PS07.jpg and the second moused-over image being presented as the PS3 image had the filename XB07.jpg.

/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps07.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb07.jpg
So, which is it? Did he just accidently get the filenames swapped or is the first one actually the PS3 image and the second one is the 360 image? We will never know.

And if you actually believe these images weren't doctored, then here is a picture of what Governor Sarah Palin really looks like:

and the original picture it was made from:

Sep 10, 2005
Aside from the obvious differences that they might (or not) be cause of the development time.From what i understand from his little review.He's also mentioning about screen tearing in the 360 version.While the PS3 one seems to have some frame dips hear and there.

Meaning that the PS3 frame rate is more stable,thus locked.While the 360 one isnt.Of course that might also be something that can (or not) be fixed in the final version.There are more to the game than just screen comparisons :)

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="girlgamer1984, post: 0]Isn't this a timed exclusive for 360? Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think the game is being released simultaniously on both the consoles.

Correct; exclusives is where Ps3 outshines the 360.[/quote]

I am pretty sure it is being released on both platforms at the same time. I read alot of news and have heard nothing of this being a timed exclusive. So it will be coming to the PS3 and 360 on March 13, 2009.

T

TwentyThree

its sad to see the difference between tha both.... will probably get the 360 version.. if the online is not such a major part of the game :?