RE 5 graphics comparison

DanGZ

Superior Member
Sep 5, 2007
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]You all do realize those pictures are doctored, don't you? It is interesting that Gametrailers does a video comparison of the two demos, and Gametrailers has an established history of doctoring these comparison videos, but with this one, almost all the comments, for a change, say the comparison was virtually identical.

Then we get this hole-in-the-wall website that has mouse-over comparisons and suddenly, the PS3 is much worse. Of course, the author of that website page makes this clear right in the first couple of sentences where he says:

Gee, there wouldn't be any pre-drawn conclusion there, would there?

Nobody is noticing his explanation of how he is doctoring the images. Here are a couple of key sentences:

Not even using HDMI. Why didn't he just use 480p capture for the PS3?

There is also clear evidence he doctored the images. Take the skull one and mouse over back and forth while paying attention to the green health/ammunition status circle. Notice how it goes darker for the 360 and lighter for the PS3? This is a very simple Photoshop thing to do with the gamma slider bar, as well as add blur effects.

http://www.the-horror.com/imagecomp...s07.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb07.jpg

Another interesting thing to note about that mouse-over image is his HTML code for displaying that mouse-over has the 1st image presented as the 360 image is labeled as PS07.jpg and the second moused-over image being presented as the PS3 image had the filename XB07.jpg.

So, which is it? Did he just accidently get the filenames swapped or is the first one actually the PS3 image and the second one is the 360 image? We will never know.

And if you actually believe these images weren't doctored, then here is a picture of what Governor Sarah Palin really looks like:

and the original picture it was made from:
[/quote]

Good work mate, to me the PS3 shots do look tampered with and comparing both on only the Component connection is very weak. The PS3's graphics really shine through HDMI.

This comparison is very very flawed in my opinion, if you watch the HD game trailers comparison then you will see there is no difference at all.

geostar

Super Elite
Nov 24, 2008
Differences are very small and probably very hard to see in motion. Won't bother me one bit. PS3 all the way.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
WOW. That is a shockingly large difference in texture quality. I can't buy RE5 for PS3 after looking at that.. There is a definitively better looking version after those comparisons.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
as a owner of both console. i have seen these 2 verisons and they look the same.
but i think i wll be geting the 360 verison only because the 360 contoller fits bettter in my hands

T

TwentyThree

@ coolguy... ur not talking about the pic comparison in the OP's first post right?? cause if you are .. you must need glasses.. there is a major difference.

dont know if they have been tampered or what.. but if thats tha difference id probably go for da 360 version..
i will wait to see what other sites have when comparing both versions tho.

coffeerox

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2006
Lemme lay down some things about these "comparisons" guys. Little differences, such as V-Sync on, smoke effects, etc, are because each team is not the same team, and just like how you go enable/disable settings on PC games, they are doing the same, except each team is deciding what is best to them. That is why there are differences period. Fallout 3 is a great example of this. There are some things that are superior on PS3, while there are some that are better on 360. However a great example of how similar they can make the same game on different platforms, is Star Wars Force Unleashed. With the exception of the color palette, everything is identical, right down to graphical effects, game engine, etc. There are places where the PS3 obviously excels. PS3 has a more natural color palette which leads to better lighting in my opinion. PS3 matches more with PC versions more often than not (even if PC outdoes the PS3 on graphics) it still has a more natural look to it. For RE5, this is evident with the green tint on 360 while the PS3 had a more natural look to it. Some scenes even look better, for example the picture where the smoke and the helicopter was, the PS3 version lacked the smoke (probably b/c the smoke is a real-time effect and they failed to cap?) but either way, that screenshot looked superior due to the lighting. I actually have the 360 Japanese demo, running it at 1680x1050, so I highly doubt the PS3 version being able to produce a sharper picture unless somehow Sony patched in 1680x1050 or Capcom implementing it as a true 1080p game, which I highly doubt. If all I had was a Ps3 though I would be totally happy with that version.

Mar 11, 2006
OK, this is kind of hilarious. The OP provided a link to some blog post that just expanded on the images found on this website post that did the actual mouse-over comparisons:

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

This is a brief explanation of how mouse-over is done. It is just Javascript where the default image is the first one loaded and the second one is shown with the mouse-over.

So, his explanation on the webpage states:
The Xbox 360 version will be displayed first, and the Playstation 3 version will be shown upon mouse-over.
which would seem to fit what is being displayed, the first image is supposedly the 360 and the mouse-over is supposedly the PS3, the one that so many people are seeing as "obviously horrible".

This is the interesting part. I clicked on the link for each image. You can verify this yourself, look up in the browser address bar, and the first image that is shown on every one has a PS3 filename (ps) and the 2nd mouse-over image, that everybody is finding so horrible, is labeled 360 (xb). Can't give the full URL, since this forum automatically truncates displaying full URL but here is the link for each image. Notice the first image has a ps0x.jpg filename and the second image has a xb0x.jpg filename.
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps01.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb01.jpg
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps02.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb02.jpg
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps03.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb03.jpg
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps05.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb05.jpg
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps06.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb06.jpg
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps07.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb07.jpg
/imagecompare.php?img=features/bh5demo/images/ps08.jpg&img2=features/bh5demo/images/xb08.jpg
He did this for every image. Now, he either totally f-ed and got his mouse-over description backwards, or he consistently labeled his filenames backwards or the images actually are what they are labeled and the first, darker one is a PS3 image and it is the second, blurrier one that is 360. Either way, this guy is an idiot. I am sure one of the 360 loyalists will tip him off and he can rename his filenames to match what is going on. And that is why we will never know because that is the way these things always turn out.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]OK, this is kind of hilarious. The OP provided a link to some blog post that just expanded on the images found on this website post that did the actual mouse-over comparisons:

This is a brief explanation of how mouse-over is done. It is just Javascript where the default image is the first one loaded and the second one is shown with the mouse-over.

which would seem to fit what is being displayed, the first image is supposedly the 360 and the mouse-over is supposedly the PS3, the one that so many people are seeing as "obviously horrible".

This is the interesting part. I clicked on the link for each image. You can verify this yourself, look up in the browser address bar, and the first image that is shown on every one has a PS3 filename (ps) and the 2nd mouse-over image, that everybody is finding so horrible, is labeled 360 (xb). Can't give the full URL, since this forum automatically truncates displaying full URL but here is the link for each image. Notice the first image has a ps0x.jpg filename and the second image has a xb0x.jpg filename.

He did this for every image. Now, he either totally f-ed and got his mouse-over description backwards, or he consistently labeled his filenames backwards or the images actually are what they are labeled and the first, darker one is a PS3 image and it is the second, blurrier one that is 360. Either way, this guy is an idiot. I am sure one of the 360 loyalists will tip him off and he can rename his filenames to match what is going on. And that is why we will never know because that is the way these things always turn out.[/quote]

LoL, nice work :snicker

But who cares anyway? The game is not even out yet, people have come to the point of comparing demos... :dunce

HiX

Dedicated Member
Sep 22, 2005
[QUOTE="coffeerox, post: 0] I actually have the 360 Japanese demo, running it at 1680x1050, so I highly doubt the PS3 version being able to produce a sharper picture unless somehow Sony patched in 1680x1050 or Capcom implementing it as a true 1080p game, which I highly doubt. If all I had was a Ps3 though I would be totally happy with that version.[/quote]

I was reading through your post and I was beginning to give you the benefit of the doubt but this statement totally threw it off. The RE5 Japanese demo runs at 1680x1050? Do you even realize that ALL console games outputs 16:9 resolutions only? No console games will ever run at 16:10 native.

Plus, I dont believe there are any 360 games running at a native res between 1280x720p and 1920x1080p. I would stand corrected if there are any.

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]OK, this is kind of hilarious. The OP provided a link to some blog post that just expanded on the images found on this website post that did the actual mouse-over comparisons:

He did this for every image. Now, he either totally f-ed and got his mouse-over description backwards, or he consistently labeled his filenames backwards or the images actually are what they are labeled and the first, darker one is a PS3 image and it is the second, blurrier one that is 360. Either way, this guy is an idiot. I am sure one of the 360 loyalists will tip him off and he can rename his filenames to match what is going on. And that is why we will never know because that is the way these things always turn out.[/quote]

:lol: + rep

Nov 28, 2004
man this one isn't even close. the site doesn't give the most nonbias feel so i dont know how the test on conducted but by the looks of it, it isn't even close. it is unarguably better on the 360. normally i dont care about graphocs and most comparisons only have a tiny difference but i'd say its pretty substancial here

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
Well, to put an end to this comparison, i went reviewing some of the videos and the 360 build is actually more advanced.
I say this not so much because of minor graphical detail, but because i noticed that on a certain scene (when the girl and chris are spoted peeking though the window) there is a poster on the wall (inside the house) on the 360 version but on the ps3 version its still not there. I think this is pretty much self explainatory.

Once the game is out i will check this out again to see if that poster was added or not.

Here is the poster that proves the PS3 demo shown was older: (down post:p)

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
Dunno why but the poster image is taking ages to load, anyway this is the PS3 build with NO poster on the right wall.
[reveal]
[/reveal]

360 build with poster:

[reveal]
[/reveal]

360 build is more advanced. Considering DMC4 the final version should be the same.
Thread closed?

Terrabit

Superior Member
Dec 27, 2007
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 0]It looks much better on the Ps3 to me[/quote]

Wasn't there another thread about this a few weeks ago? In that comparison they both looked identical. I think Capcom is REALLY trying to give fans the same experience.

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
OMG can i just say something, can all the people who come in here saying stuff like "stupid thread is stupid" just please-Removed- off...its pretty obvious that some of us on these forums do enjoy talking about this subject as well as it being pretty important...so just let us do our thing and go have fun on another thread for example go tell everyone when the last time you cried playing a video game, or what the last game you played before hopping on the forums was lol...

im sure they'd all like to know......

Please refrain from insulting other members and using foul language. ~ V

B

bruiser07

[QUOTE="Nunalho, post: 0]Dunno why but the poster image is taking ages to load, anyway this is the PS3 build with NO poster on the right wall.
[reveal]
[/reveal]

360 build with poster:

[reveal]
[/reveal]

360 build is more advanced. Considering DMC4 the final version should be the same.
Thread closed?[/quote]

that's weird because the one without the poster looks a lot better than the one with the poster. in the top one, the shading is much better and the character model is more defined (look at the skin). the bottom picture is much blurrier but has the poster. i'd expect the bottom one to be from a ps3 version and the top to be 360 based on the pictures the OP posted.

SpyroViper

The Derailer
May 9, 2008
[QUOTE="bruiser07, post: 0]that's weird because the one without the poster looks a lot better than the one with the poster. in the top one, the shading is much better and the character model is more defined (look at the skin). the bottom picture is much blurrier but has the poster. i'd expect the bottom one to be from a ps3 version and the top to be 360 based on the pictures the OP posted.[/quote]

If you look at the PS3 version, the top right hand corner. The blue wall part has significantly lower texture resolution than the 360 version (which is crisp).

B

bruiser07

[QUOTE="godofspeed, post: 0]Wtf guys, do you guys buy 2 versions of this game and compare it side by side? The difference is MINOR. Not much difference, plus who knows what the final build will look like. Duh.[/quote]
well the difference from the link in original post is major in my opinion. one looks like the game everyone is expecting, and the other looks like it is the version made for the ps2. i think the pictures are misleading and perhaps they didn't do the test correctly. as someone said earlier, probably they ran the output through a standard RCA cable or something instead of HDMI but they did HDMI for the 360 pictures.

if you look at the comparison shots posted above, the 2 versions look much similar except one has a poster and one doesn't.

loko08

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2007
i hope they fix this up... this is not cool capcom... ive been buying your games for long time... and i want the same game everyone is getting...

K

karbineftw

It could be like the old build of motorstorm demo. That sucked but the dull game looks glorious

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
I could understand if there was a PS3 demo, but there ain't
IGN and others will have a preview of it if there was, so why compare?

59sFinest

you guys need to stop justifying the continuing trend of the PS3 getting these half *** multiplatform games! I didnt pay double the price of the xbox360 for a system that always gets the inferior versions of these games. Sony needs to step in and give these developers the tools that GG ,Insomniac and the first party devs have at their disposal. and the 3rd party devs need to start making the games to take advantage of the PS3. Anyone who owns both systems always buys the 360 version of any mulitplatform game and then we hear that the game hasnt sold well on the PS3. i dont care if its just a minor difference in graphics. it should be a minor difference in the PS3s favor! Theres no reason in 2009 that games should look better on the 360 . Its like buying a Ferrari and only being allowed to go 65, and then seeing a Smart Car zooming by you at 70!!! Dont get me wrong Sony delivers with exclusives but there are plenty of great multiplatofrm games out there that we get the shaft on!

Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="bruiser07, post: 0]that's weird because the one without the poster looks a lot better than the one with the poster. in the top one, the shading is much better and the character model is more defined (look at the skin). the bottom picture is much blurrier but has the poster. i'd expect the bottom one to be from a ps3 version and the top to be 360 based on the pictures the OP posted.[/quote]

You are the only one getting it out of the past few posts, including a WTF? to the one just above this. Nunalho first says who cares, then proceeds to put up another example and the one on top (without poster) is identified as the PS3 version and it looks darker and has more detail than the one below it (with poster) which looks lighter, less detailed and more washed out. Just look at the self shadowing on the arms, the one on top has way better self shadowing.

The reason this is important is about 3 or 4 people posted they are getting the 360 version because it looks so much better, but then it turns out the images they were making that decision on are identified as PS3 images and it is the 360 images that look worse.

And there is a PS3 demo. It is out in Japan. We are going to be able to see for ourselves soon, the NA demo for the PS3 and the 360, maybe this week or next week.

Vertisce

Superior Member
Sep 17, 2007
It is blatantly clear that these photo's are doctored...

[ame="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43925.html"]Gametrailers.com - Resident Evil 5 - PS3/360 Demo Comparison HD[/ame]

Pein

Jul 4, 2008
[QUOTE="SpyroViper, post: 0]Why would it run smoother on the PS3? I just wish developers stopped making 720p and started making games in 1080p and not as graphically intensive.[/quote]
Hey, do you think Capcom are taking advantage of the SPUs in the PS3? It will will be quite interesting to see what the full game will look like. ;)