Read Dead Redemption looks AND PLAYS best on Xbox One X

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
The game is best on XB1X yes. But the Pro version is damn good as well. You honestly have to stand still or snap a still frame to see the differences between the 2 consoles.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Not according to Eurogamer. The Xbox one x is clearly the best version .
I watched the Digital Foundry comparison. XB1X is better but not by as much as you think. You need to have these games side by side to really see the differences or standing still and your face about 3ft from the screen. Sitting at the normal 10ft or more away and you can not see the differences that are shown.

May 20, 2008
I watched the Digital Foundry comparison. XB1X is better but not by as much as you think. You need to have these games side by side to really see the differences or standing still and your face about 3ft from the screen. Sitting at the normal 10ft or more away and you can not see the differences that are shown.
Oh I don’t think the differences are that big either but I also remember saying similar things about games on Xbox one vs ps4 , but some people swore up and down that it was like night and day. It’s funny how now the tables are turned that’s its almost absolute silence on these comparisons when people put so much emphasis on 1080p. Personally, I think the majority of the comparisons are stupid because 99% of the time the Xbox one x is gonna be the best version on consoles. That’s been the case since it launched.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Oh I don’t think the differences are that big either but I also remember saying similar things about games on Xbox one vs ps4 , but some people swore up and down that it was like night and day. It’s funny how now the tables are turned that’s its almost absolute silence on these comparisons when people put so much emphasis on 1080p. Personally, I think the majority of the comparisons are stupid because 99% of the time the Xbox one x is gonna be the best version on consoles. That’s been the case since it launched.
Don't care much about any other games. We are talking about RDR2.

To be honest, comparisons at this point do not mean much to me in terms as which company is better because the next gen consoles are already being worked on. Xbox One and PS4 are 5 years deep and I am ready for the next consoles. Congrats to Microsoft for getting it right the 2nd time. Errrr 3rd time.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'm sure the tables will turn again with games on the PS5 looking and playing better than the Xbox Two.

May 20, 2008
Don't care much about any other games. We are talking about RDR2.

To be honest, comparisons at this point do not mean much to me in terms as which company is better because the next gen consoles are already being worked on. Xbox One and PS4 are 5 years deep and I am ready for the next consoles. .
They were probably being worked on back when those silly 1080p comparisons were being made too.
Congrats to Microsoft for getting it right the 2nd time. Errrr 3rd time
well, its not like they did everything wrong. They did screw up a bit with xbox one at launch with the messaging, price and a few other things could of been better but in this industry no one is perfect. They've bounced back well with xbox one s and xbox one x though.

I'm sure the tables will turn again with games on the PS5 looking and playing better than the Xbox Two.
Maybe if Mattrick was still in charge but those days are gone, and judging by what xbox one x is doing I wouldn't be so sure. With MS its not a question of can they do it because we know they have the resources to go big with hardware and services. We will have to wait and see but I don't see them making the same mistakes with the next xbox.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
At this point, this is basically expected, and will be the norm going forward. The OX carries a CPU clock speed advantage (a direct performance increase owing to identical architecture), larger GPU, and larger pool of memory. It's basically the Pro, but a bit more - through circumstance, but i digress.

But that being said, for the majority of XB owners, as the case may be; what was true before is still the case now. If you still own the base iteration of the console, it's still not particularly awesome news.

It’s funny how now the tables are turned that’s its almost absolute silence .
There haven't been any mass conspiracy movements about some hidden secret sauce that Sony are paying Devs to avoid, or that the "quality of the pixels" is what matters. So at the very least, one camp seems to take it better than the other ;)

I think it is widely accepted that a faux-K output does not match a 4K output, from the Pro and OX respectively.

Maybe if Mattrick was still in charge but those days are gone, and judging by what xbox one x is doing I wouldn't be so sure. With MS its not a question of can they do it because we know they have the resources to go big with hardware and services. We will have to wait and see but I don't see them making the same mistakes with the next xbox.
I dunno, from what little rumors there have been, they seem to be going after the TV again just in a different way.... Less "TV" and more "anything with a screen and internet connection". I get where they're trying to take it (Azure eyeballs Google afterall), but imho it seems a bit folly. Google have already beaten MS to market in this regard it would seem and the prospect of even Google's behemoth network has been met with a "meh".

It sounds cool though (and one of the reasons google is in its position). If i buy things from Google, they're on my account wherever i go. If i could just buy the game i want and have it everywhere i had an internet connection and a screen that would be sweet. But VP9 and HEVC still fall a very long way short of a native RAW output, saying nothing about the inherent latency issues and data caps (for people who still don't have unlimited data plans). RIP someones mobile plan if they game stream an hour of 4K footage to their mobile through their carrier :whistle:

I hope they launch with the console first, and save that streaming thing for a few months down the line. MS don't need another launch with mixed messages.

May 20, 2008
There haven't been any mass conspiracy movements about some hidden secret sauce that Sony are paying Devs to avoid, or that the "quality of the pixels" is what matters. So at the very least, one camp seems to take it better than the other ;)
lol...I have no idea what you're talking about but O.K.

I think it is widely accepted that a faux-K output does not match a 4K output, from the Pro and OX respectively.
Or maybe not. One thing for sure is that all those comparison conversations sure have diminished lately.

I dunno, from what little rumors there have been, they seem to be going after the TV again just in a different way.... Less "TV" and more "anything with a screen and internet connection". I get where they're trying to take it (Azure eyeballs Google afterall), but imho it seems a bit folly. Google have already beaten MS to market in this regard it would seem and the prospect of even Google's behemoth network has been met with a "meh".

It sounds cool though (and one of the reasons google is in its position). If i buy things from Google, they're on my account wherever i go. If i could just buy the game i want and have it everywhere i had an internet connection and a screen that would be sweet. But VP9 and HEVC still fall a very long way short of a native RAW output, saying nothing about the inherent latency issues and data caps (for people who still don't have unlimited data plans). RIP someones mobile plan if they game stream an hour of 4K footage to their mobile through their carrier :whistle:
Whatever floats your boat. If you like google then go ahead and knock yourself out. MS is doing their own thing with xbox live, game pass, play anywhere and one of the best cloud networks with azure. Call me crazy but I think they may just have something good going here.

I hope they launch with the console first, and save that streaming thing for a few months down the line. MS don't need another launch with mixed messages.
Now that I agree with but I don't thing that will happen.

Jun 16, 2013
That's not surprising. The Xbox One X outdoes the Pro in many ways, at least in terms of hardware. With that being said, I expect this game to release on next-gen hardware much like GTA V did after releasing late last-gen.

I still need to get this game, by the way. I just finally finished platinuming Spider-Man. I'm slow. :(

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
That's not surprising. The Xbox One X outdoes the Pro in many ways, at least in terms of hardware. With that being said, I expect this game to release on next-gen hardware much like GTA V did after releasing late last-gen.

I still need to get this game, by the way. I just finally finished platinuming Spider-Man. I'm slow. :(
Same here. Not quite done with Spider-Man but it rocks my socks.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I doubt it. They have different leadership and focus now and financially they are more than capable of having the most powerful hardware. Just at what they did with Xbox one x.
Let's talk when Xbox gets the next generation right from the start, instead of waiting for a mid-generation refresh.

May 20, 2008
Let's talk when Xbox gets the next generation right from the start, instead of waiting for a mid-generation refresh.
Start or refresh , it doesn't matter. Ms did a hell of a job with both the xbox one s and xbox one x. Xbox scarlett is gonna be something special.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
Start or refresh , it doesn't matter. Ms did a hell of a job with both the xbox one s and xbox one x. Xbox scarlett is gonna be something special.
If MS is actually learning from past mistakes, yes it will. The gaming world though sure seems to not see the advancements they are making and are banking on them botching scarlett.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I doubt it. They have different leadership and focus now and financially they are more than capable of having the most powerful hardware. Just at what they did with Xbox one x.
I have yet to see anything that shows Microsoft will come out swinging first with the better console.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
I have yet to see anything that shows Microsoft will come out swinging first with the better console.
They won't. They will drop scarlett after PS5 likely. Once there is a solid concept of what the PS5 final hardware is, I'd imagine there will be a meeting at MS to get the advantage over it again. Then, from launch, they would have the stronger hardware. Two consoles launched closer together with MS having the edge.

Truth tho, doesn't matter in the end. They both sell just fine. I haven't noticed any games not being made on Xbox just because PS4 is outselling it. Also, I own every one anyway.. so in the end, it doesn't matter to ME personally, but rather it would impact the devs and what they choose as their flagship console of choice.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
The X had to launch a year after the Pro and cost $100 more in order for MS to break even. There's no way in hell they can launch the same month or less than a year, while showing off a big power difference, without adding a $150-$200 gap between the consoles. That's if they want to break even. I would be shocked if they pulled it off obviously.

Risking it all in the chase of power is not worth it if it's giving the PS5 a headstart. Phil said they listened to fan about the X. Sales picked up in 2018 for MS and that's ONLY because sales were terrible in 2017. The Power advantage isn't closing the gap at all.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
I have no idea about hardware at this point. But in terms of every other aspect, Sony is now a generation behind.
Consider this:

The next Xbox will be completely compatible with the current gen and what they offer.

-BC with everything that is currently on the Xbox One (One/360/OG).
-Game pass works
-All your games follow you.

Its already ahead. Sony has some work to do around its value proposition. Although I expect the PS5 to be at least PS4 BC.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I have no idea about hardware at this point. But in terms of every other aspect, Sony is now a generation behind.
Consider this:

The next Xbox will be completely compatible with the current gen and what they offer.

-Game pass works

Its already ahead. Sony has some work to do around its value proposition. Although I expect the PS5 to be at least PS4 BC.
That is if you prefer digital purchases over physical.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007

-Game pass works

We know to an extent what tech they're going to use if they're sticking with AMD.

I'm happy that BC and PSNow are the biggest of concerns when it comes to the PS5. I think PS4 BC is a given being that Sony is done with the exotic hardware and I'm glad MS has shown what's possible when you're running older titles on newer, stronger hardware. There will be no excuse for Sony to do minimum work in this area.

PSNow allows you to download ps4 games. They allow select ps2 games for download. I'm not sure of the total library of games because I don't use it. This is an area that Sony needs to improve on big time. This would be huge for Sony if they were to emulate ps1/2/3/4 games at a higher res and stabilize the framerate. I'm not sure we'll ever see Sony release exclusives day 1 on PSNow. They're in a position where they don't have to use that method to find success.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
BC is not and will not ever be a factor in what makes a console better. Nobody buys a next gen console to play previous gen games on it. That is a damn fact.

Microsoft was behind with the Xbox 360 and had many revisions to meet the PS3 standards (even though it never really did....) The Xbox One was behind the PS4 and took 2 new models to finally surpass what the launch PS4 was already doing.

Microsoft is known for starting out as the lesser console. It will indeed happen again with the next console.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Truth tho, doesn't matter in the end. They both sell just fine. I haven't noticed any games not being made on Xbox just because PS4 is outselling it. Also, I own every one anyway.. so in the end, it doesn't matter to ME personally, but rather it would impact the devs and what they choose as their flagship console of choice.
Bragging rights, then? Don't know what else you mean by the part in bold. I mean, I get that you own all of the consoles, but like everyone else, you probably prefer to play on one of them more than the others too.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
BC is not and will not ever be a factor in what makes a console better. Nobody buys a next gen console to play previous gen games on it. That is a damn fact.
Maybe some people don't but BC sure doesn't hurt. You don't see many people complaining about having a console that can play their old games.

Microsoft was behind with the Xbox 360 and had many revisions to meet the PS3 standards (even though it never really did....) The Xbox One was behind the PS4 and took 2 new models to finally surpass what the launch PS4 was already doing.

Microsoft is known for starting out as the lesser console. It will indeed happen again with the next console.
Yea, but look who is behind right now in hardware? Even though the Xbox one was behind in power it still had features that PS4 still doesn't have today. As for next gen we will just have to wait and see. Even if sony has the most powerful it most likely wont be the gap we have with the xbox one x and the ps4 pro. That's a big if though. Microsoft is gonna be ready next gen. Sony has got some catching up to do in a few areas like BC and PSnow. Ms needed to broaden their 1st party output and they seem to be doing just that.

Sony makes 4k TVs but don't have a console that can support them. That's a real head scratcher IMO.