Read Dead Redemption looks AND PLAYS best on Xbox One X

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
We know to an extent what tech they're going to use if they're sticking with AMD.

I'm happy that BC and PSNow are the biggest of concerns when it comes to the PS5. I think PS4 BC is a given being that Sony is done with the exotic hardware and I'm glad MS has shown what's possible when you're running older titles on newer, stronger hardware. There will be no excuse for Sony to do minimum work in this area.

PSNow allows you to download ps4 games. They allow select ps2 games for download. I'm not sure of the total library of games because I don't use it. This is an area that Sony needs to improve on big time. This would be huge for Sony if they were to emulate ps1/2/3/4 games at a higher res and stabilize the framerate. I'm not sure we'll ever see Sony release exclusives day 1 on PSNow. They're in a position where they don't have to use that method to find success.
PSNow isn’t available everywhere and that kind of screws it.
And yup if they got all 4 up and running as bc that would be a big bonus.

Lethal, in an off itself, no BC is t a deal breaker. But much like Netflix and old shows you can go and watch. Combining BC with games pass makes it a highly, highly useful.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
MS is in desperate need to create new hit AAA exclusives. That is no easy task and simply throwing money around only gets you so far.

MS has yet to create a new AAA I.P this generation that sells very well along with getting great scores. The Xbone best selling new I.P is Sea of Thieves. MS brags about this. It scored very bad to be a AAA title and they refuse to give actual sales numbers.

These type of issues are deal breakers for anyone not into the Forza, Halo and Gears series. Power is not going to solve this. Talented studios will fix this issue and they have to prove themselves before trust is gained. Of course they need time so I don't expect much from MS the remainder of this gen. I just don't have my hopes up given how MS has handled their exclusives during this current generation.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Sony has got some catching up to do in a few areas like BC and PSnow. Ms needed to broaden their 1st party output and they seem to be doing just that.
Can't say it more simpler. This is the wisest summary I read about next gen. MS sliently building a huge bc lib, and for sure they wont even need to list for their next console, probably all xbox one games will run in their next consoles.
And xbox Gamepass is the best thing a gamer can get, if they don't gave a huge library. I have 4 or 5 games for one x since my main library on ps, but I spend almost equal time on xbox thanks to Gamepass.

But these are not huge matters, if sony can deal with its greed they can easily outcome those matters ,especially BC for ps4 games.

When it comes to problems of MS, exclusive game library, it is way harder problem to deal with.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Sony makes 4k TVs but don't have a console that can support them. That's a real head scratcher IMO.
And still outsells the Xbox.........

And the 4K media player on the Xbox is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Movies run like crap on the Xbox S and X. I also purchase all of my 4K movies through Vudu so I can access them on all my devices. Physical movies are becoming a thing of the past and Sony knows it. It is no different than buying music.

May 20, 2008
And still outsells the Xbox.........
Indeed they do, and you would think they would be making a lot more money than Microsoft too, but console sales don't bring in as much as the services and software. Since they are selling so many consoles and games this gen maybe they should be using some of that money to improve their services and put more into backwards compatibility.

And the 4K media player on the Xbox is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Movies run like crap on the Xbox S and X.
Initially there were issues but its been updated since launch. Personally, I rarely use it to watch movies but when I do it seems to do that and stream just fine. I can’t speak for yours. At the end of the day its still designed to play games and that's what most people use it for. Isn’t that what Sony said when they were asked why they didn’t include a 4K drive?

Physical movies are becoming a thing of the past and Sony knows it. It is no different than buying music.
Yep, physical movies aren't as popular as they used to be but don't act like that's the only reason sony didn't include a drive in the pro. They did it to cut cost too. They spent all that time at that conference saying how they want people to enjoy 4k and go full Ultra HD but then don't even include something that the xbox one s has. But like Sony said it’s meant to be a games console first but it still odd they pulled that move. I mean they make 4ktvs, and 4K movie discs but Microsoft makes a game console with a 4K disc drive. Years ago Sony lead the way with CDs, DVDs and blu-rays in their consoles and now they have the “Pro” that lags behind 2 cheaper versions of the Xbox one s. You can’t make this stuff up.

Lethal, since you say they realize physical movies are becoming a thing of the past does that mean we should expect the ps5 to also omit this feature?

Last edited:

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
you would think they would be making a lot more money than Microsoft too, but console sales don't bring in as much as the services and software.
There you go shitting the bed again.

Sony does make a lot more money in their gaming division than MS does in their gaming division.

May 20, 2008
There you go shitting the bed again.

Sony does make a lot more money in their gaming division than MS does in their gaming division.
Nah, it’s not as much as you think fella. Defininitley not when they add in windows 10 gaming too. What you report in sales and what you profit are not the same.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
Bragging rights, then? Don't know what else you mean by the part in bold. I mean, I get that you own all of the consoles, but like everyone else, you probably prefer to play on one of them more than the others too.
The bold part means that whomever is viewed to have the strongest console when a game is being made, they may tend to favor that console at launch. Optimizing for it, maximizing its potential.

I typically game on my XBOX one X now because my kids took over the PS4 when I bought the VR unit. :) I have debated a PSPRo, but will prob wait for the 5 now.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
Nah, it’s not as much as you think fella. Defininitley not when they add in windows 10 gaming too. What you report in sales and what you profit are not the same.
I read a report that claimed Sony made 17 billion in gaming division this year, with 1.6 Billion profit. That same report said MS made 10Billion in sales, with 2.2 Billion in profit. It just says xbox and services, so I am not clear if it includes the Windows 10 side of things or anything they have on mobile plats. This report came out in July of 2018, so numbers are not current. They are from the previous fiscal year.

Again just proves the point, both are selling ridiculously well.

For reference, the report ended in March 2018 for the end of the fiscal year, and the Switch brought Nintendo up to 9.5 Billion with 105% growth year over year.

Article for reference:

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/micro...0b-gaming-year-compares-rivals-sony-nintendo/

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Lethal, since you say they realize physical movies are becoming a thing of the past does that mean we should expect the ps5 to also omit this feature?
Depends on the price of the 4K player. I am fine on the PS5 skipping it if it means the PS5 will be cheaper in price. But I bet the price of the 4K player will be cheap enough for Sony to go ahead and use it in their next console. There was no reason to inflate the price of the Pro by adding it.

May 20, 2008
Depends on the price of the 4K player. I am fine on the PS5 skipping it if it means the PS5 will be cheaper in price. But I bet the price of the 4K player will be cheap enough for Sony to go ahead and use it in their next console. There was no reason to inflate the price of the Pro by adding it.
IHS Markit did a breakdown of the xbox one s manufacturing cost and estimated that the UHD DB drive in Xbox One S cost around $40. That's not really a insignificant sum but still not enough to warrant leaving out such a important feature. It definitely wouldn't of inflated the price of the Pro by much.It seems to me that if they're making so much money this would of been a no-brainer.

I read a report that claimed Sony made 17 billion in gaming division this year, with 1.6 Billion profit. That same report said MS made 10Billion in sales, with 2.2 Billion in profit. It just says xbox and services, so I am not clear if it includes the Windows 10 side of things or anything they have on mobile plats. This report came out in July of 2018, so numbers are not current. They are from the previous fiscal year.

Again just proves the point, both are selling ridiculously well.

For reference, the report ended in March 2018 for the end of the fiscal year, and the Switch brought Nintendo up to 9.5 Billion with 105% growth year over year.

Article for reference:

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/micro...0b-gaming-year-compares-rivals-sony-nintendo/
Those numbers do include Windows 10 gaming and other things like Mixer as well. Some think sony outselling MS 2 to 1 in consoles means they are making twice as much money, but its not the case. But I do agree both are doing well.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
That's not really a insignificant sum but still not enough to warrant leaving out such a important feature.
lol it is not an important feature. I never ever use the 4K player on the Xbox. I bought a single physical 4K movie and played it on my Xbox and it was a mess. Microsoft should have ditched the drive on the One X and dropped the price. Maybe that shitty $40 drive they are using is the problem....

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
lol it is not an important feature. I never ever use the 4K player on the Xbox. I bought a single physical 4K movie and played it on my Xbox and it was a mess. Microsoft should have ditched the drive on the One X and dropped the price. Maybe that shitty $40 drive they are using is the problem....
Same... I bought ONE 4K disc.. just not worth it.

May 20, 2008
To each his own. I don’t use the player much myself but I’m glad they decided to include it. I think there are quite a few features that people don’t use on Xbox one x and ps4 pro. There is always some value in having something that your competitor doesn’t,even if the majority won’t use it. I didn’t d use the BR player in my ps3 much either but it was a selling point for Sony at the time.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
To each his own. I don’t use the player much myself but I’m glad they decided to include it. I think there are quite a few features that people don’t use on Xbox one x and ps4 pro. There is always some value in having something that your competitor doesn’t,even if the majority won’t use it. I didn’t d use the BR player in my ps3 much either but it was a selling point for Sony at the time.
I think this is the part where Two comes in to say, "aim higher, don't settle for mediocrity". If the 4K player for movies isn't good enough to justify the additional price, then there is no value to it. It's as simple as that.

May 20, 2008
I think this is the part where Two comes in to say, "aim higher, don't settle for mediocrity". If the 4K player for movies isn't good enough to justify the additional price, then there is no value to it. It's as simple as that.
Lol.. that’s why I bought the Xbox one x. I didn’t want to settle for mediocrity:

The x plays my existing library
it has support for 4K physical media
I can record game clips @4k 60FPs with HDR
Live stream games @4K 60FPS
Download 4K textures and assets
Super sampling on all games not just some
Has best looking games in 4K that I like

Only the $499 console can do all those things. So it was a easy choice. It’s as simple as that.

May 20, 2008
Then why did you buy the Xbox One?
For similar reasons that I bought the one x. I bought Xbox 360, and being able to play my Xbox 360 games on it and my digital purchases carrying over was one of the key reasons. Plus I knew ms was going to progress faster in services like game pass. Their ecosystem is just better to me.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
For similar reasons that I bought the one x. I bought Xbox 360, and being able to play my Xbox 360 games on it and my digital purchases carrying over was one of the key reasons. Plus I knew ms was going to progress faster in services like game pass. Their ecosystem is just better to me.
Ya I don't think so. The Xbox One was incredibly inferior to the PS4 when they launched so saying you bought the One X because you didn't want to settle for mediocrity is bullshit. Even the One S is outperformed by the launch PS4. No matter what Microsoft does you were always going to bite even if the console sucked.

May 20, 2008
Ya I don't think so. The Xbox One was incredibly inferior to the PS4 when they launched so saying you bought the One X because you didn't want to settle for mediocrity is bullshit. Even the One S is outperformed by the launch PS4.
Inferior in power but not inferior in other ways that also matter to me.

No matter what Microsoft does you were always going to bite even if the console sucked.
Well of course I’m a huge Xbox supporter and as long as they keep doing those things I mentioned above I’m going to be a Xbox owner just like you.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Inferior in power but not inferior in other ways that also matter to me.

Well of course I’m a huge Xbox supporter and as long as they keep doing those things I mentioned above I’m going to be a Xbox owner just like you.
I am a supporter because I always own all the consoles and then the best one becomes my primary console. The One X has become my go to console but the PS4 and Pro held that title for a long time.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
I use my 4k player all the time and its fantastic. I do understand there where colour issues in the firts month of release, but considering they are supporting HDR10 AND Dolby Vision now, I think (this may shock you), that their software got better.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I use my 4k player all the time and its fantastic. I do understand there where colour issues in the firts month of release, but considering they are supporting HDR10 AND Dolby Vision now, I think (this may shock you), that their software got better.
Movies also had issue running without frame issues. Frequent pauses in the movie because the media player couldnt decode quick enough. It was absolutely terrible. The Xbox One is the very reason I started buying all my 4K movies through Vudu.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Movies also had issue running without frame issues. Frequent pauses in the movie because the media player couldnt decode quick enough. It was absolutely terrible. The Xbox One is the very reason I started buying all my 4K movies through Vudu.
Never ever experienced any of these issues on my X. I have a large collection of 4k movies now.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Never ever experienced any of these issues on my X. I have a large collection of 4k movies now.
You must have a magical Xbox lol

This is the number 1 reason why I stopped using the Xbox as a blu-ray player.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I've had mine since Feb 18 and haven't had an issue ever.
Its not magical, I just don't live in the past like you do.
If I lived in the past I would never buy another Xbox in my life......

No HDMI support
Red Ring of Death
Proprietary hard drive
Insane install times
Forced Kinect
4K Player issues
Controller requiring batteries
and so on......

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
If I lived in the past I would never buy another Xbox in my life......

No HDMI support
Red Ring of Death
Proprietary hard drive
Insane install times
Forced Kinect
4K Player issues
Controller requiring batteries
and so on......
Whats your point, its only suits you to bitch about something in the past when you feel it suits you?

I mean seriously, "4k player sucks"..
MS fixes 4k player.."4k player sucks" shows video from the past to prove point.

Nah mate, you live in the past when it suits you just fine.

If you truely held grudges against things you wouldn't buy Sony or MS. And you sure as shit wouldn't entrust SONY with any of your personal info.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Whats your point,.
And you sure as shit wouldn't entrust SONY with any of your personal info.
Ummmmm, that I do not live in the past........ And I trust nobody with my personal info.

Don't cry because I do not like the 4K player on the Xbox. If you like it then great! Keep watching your movies. I already switched to Vudu so I have no need for a 4K player.

Last edited: