Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections - Achieved With CRYENGINE

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007

Hardware and API agnostic.

In a similar way to how the Crytek introduced screen space ambient occlusion, we may actually see this in use in next-gen titles.

As opposed to RTX, which is probably more in-line with "traditional" ray-tracing, Cretek say they use mesh ray-tracing. No idea how it's implemented, but just as a point of reference, PS4 already has a title which makes use of Ray Tracing, but using cascaded voxel cone tracing. So it could be an implementation that is optimised for gaming applications.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This is the kind of graphics technology I've been wanting to see in modern games. I still remember playing Bully on the PS2 and seeing the player character and environment reflected in the bathroom sink mirrors with the drawback being the mirrored image reflected at a lower resolution. What Crytek is doing reminds me of the same thing but with a clearer resolution and the type of current-gen lighting and textures you would expect in a AAA title.

I'd like to see how it runs with people populating the streets. It's one thing to reflect a stationary background but another when you introduce moving people, cars, explosions etc.

Combine this with Neutral Lighting being used more and I'll be impressed.

Last edited: