Regret buying Flower..

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
So I thought I'd download Flower tonight, but just a few minutes into the game... I completely wish I hadn't.

In my opinion, the forced use of Sixaxis and no way to control it with an analogue stick ruins the game. Which is a shame, as I can totally see how amazing this game would be otherwise - It's absolutely gorgeous, imaginative, classy... I love the concept... but not very playable at all.

The gameplay is supposed to be relaxing, but really, how on Earth is that possible when you are forced to control it with the ever frustrating Sixaxis?

Jan 8, 2008
What's so frustrating about the sixaxis controls in flower?

They are very responsive and work equally aswell as an analogue stick! also you said a few minutes in... Seems like you havent given the game a chance.

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
Perhaps you should give it a few more minutes and adjust yourself to the controls. I had no problem at all using the SixAxis to play, and I'm not a big fan of the mechanic either.

I didn't think Flower was hindered at all by SixAxis. The controls are responsive and fluid. Just give it a few more tries, or else you'll be missing out on an exceptional game. The final few levels especially make the game memorable.

Apr 20, 2008
Seriously the SixAxis is spot on in this game, if you refuse to stick it out I am very sorry for you because this is a great experience. I suggest using R2 for acceleration, and just don't press it all the way down because it can be a little overwhelming when moving at top speed. Once you understand how the SixAxis works - think of it like driving a car - then you can press R2 all the way down and pop those flowers like it's nobody's business. If you miss a target, just swoop around and come back......there isn't a time limit. I was hesitant and a little frustrated at first, but now I'm awesome. You can be awesome too, don't give up!

Pantyhelmet

Superior Member
Jan 16, 2007
I can't take this thread seriously, Flower is perfectly playable with the Sixaxis, either you're trolling or a casual gamer who thinks games without a kill button suck..or worse, you're actually the one person in the universe who had a problem with the controls.. In either case, i wish there was a way to "thumbs down" topics that one considers lame..i would make 157 accounts and vote TD 157 times.

Apr 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Pantyhelmet, post: 0]I can't take this thread seriously, Flower is perfectly playable with the Sixaxis, either you're trolling or a casual gamer who thinks games without a kill button suck..or worse, you're actually the one person in the universe who had a problem with the controls.. In either case, i wish there was a way to "thumbs down" topics that one considers lame..i would make 157 accounts and vote TD 157 times.[/quote]

LOL! Even though I agree, that's a little harsh don't you think? At least give a little encouragement, jeez.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
I played and struggled with it for about half an hour, but felt the same as my initial response, I posted this thread after that. Should have made that clear.
I will absolutely give it another try as I have paid for it and I'm not one for wasting things. Thanks for the R2 tip Paddy.

[QUOTE="Pantyhelmet, post: 0]I can't take this thread seriously, Flower is perfectly playable with the Sixaxis, either you're trolling or a casual gamer who thinks games without a kill button suck..or worse, you're actually the one person in the universe who had a problem with the controls.. In either case, i wish there was a way to "thumbs down" topics that one considers lame..i would make 157 accounts and vote TD 157 times.[/quote]
Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word "trolling", because that is what you are doing, not me. I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that the forced use of Sixaxis impedes the gameplay. I wish there was a way to thumbs down a member.. oh wait.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I'm not trying to be mean, but truthful based off my own experiences playing this game and beating it a few times over. You have to have a problem with your motor skills if you're having difficulty with the Sixaxis controls.

Well I mean it's either that or you need a new controller, because they work fine. Even when you flail it around it's actually difficult to throw the controller off focus and lose your positioning.

Like you said though it's supposed to be relaxing. So relax when you play. It doesn't take much force at all to do. If you want a sharp turn then lay off the wind and you'll pull a sharp turn.

[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 0]I played and struggled with it for about half an hour, but felt the same as my initial response, I posted this thread after that. Should have made that clear.
I will absolutely give it another try as I have paid for it and I'm not one for wasting things. Thanks for the R2 tip Paddy.

Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word "trolling", because that is what you are doing, not me. I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that the forced use of Sixaxis impedes the gameplay. I wish there was a way to thumbs down a member.. oh wait.[/quote]

Actually it's very plausible you are trolling.

Blatantly arguing against a point of a popular game that no one else has issues with on a PS3 centered forum for the sole sake of getting people to reply to you. That's trolling.

I'm not saying you are, I'm saying by definition you very well could be. I don't even care if you are. If you are you're doing a bad job of it, if you aren't you're doing a bad job of playing Flower. Either way, sorry... but truthfully you're doing something wrong. It's the only explanation for your issues.

Apr 20, 2008
Don't listen to them Cyn, just relax and enjoy the game - it isn't meant to be stressful, in fact I would just ignore the flowers completely until you feel comfortable with the controls. Take your time, you'll get it.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
The day expressing dislike for the use of Sixaxis whilst praising the game is actually taken as trolling, is a very sad day indeed.

I can see where you are coming from and congrats to everyone who can live with the use of Sixaxis, but I have always found it clunky and badly thought out for use as anything but a gimmick or little things, like in KZ2. Certainly not for the core gameplay.

Edit - I'll give it another shot right now.

Nov 26, 2007
Personally, I thought implementing sixaxis control was brilliant in flower. Using the analog sticks would've lessened the impact IMO.

Maybe you should "relax". Easy, subtle movements > sharp forceful movements.

Jul 3, 2008
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 0]The day expressing dislike for the use of Sixaxis whilst praising the game is actually taken as trolling, is a very sad day indeed.

[/quote]

lmao agree.

I love the game and everything about it, but this i agree with *nod*

S

SnowHawk

I personally love flower, I'm just missing one trophy and it's a pain in the *** to get.

but Flower is a great experience.

Jun 10, 2008
i didnt like the sixaxis at first but got used to it and now love it for the game, trust me give flower another chance and you'll see the beauty of it

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 4020452]
In my opinion, the forced use of Sixaxis and no way to control it with an analogue stick ruins the game.[/quote]
Ruins the game? To me, absolutely not. I think it works and is a huge selling point for a game like this. I can see maybe there being an option for analogue control, but to say that it ruined the game is a little exaggerated. I thought that it was a beautiful game.

Jun 1, 2007
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 0]The day expressing dislike for the use of Sixaxis whilst praising the game is actually taken as trolling, is a very sad day indeed.
[/quote]

Not the first time. Remember Lair's own controller issue?

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
[QUOTE="Bostonmess, post: 0]It's easy.[/quote]
What do you mean? Are you saying it's a good or bad thing?

Please be more descriptive than that........

John25

Elite Sage
Apr 8, 2008
[QUOTE="We Are Ninja, post: 0]Personally, I thought implementing sixaxis control was brilliant in flower. Using the analog sticks would've lessened the impact IMO.

Maybe you should "relax". Easy, subtle movements > sharp forceful movements.[/quote]

this guy speaks the truth..

oli821

Superior Member
Sep 24, 2008
lol @ mariokart wheel. the six axis controls were awesome, wish all games implemented them with such efficiency and accuracy.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
Most of the times the problem people have with sixaxis controls it's because they're not doing it carefully. Sixaixs isnt about tiling and going it's about degrees of tilt. Granted the camera in Flower dosent help with accuracy and finesse but the last thing that could be considered a problem is the controls.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
I find the SIXAXIS awesome, and if you can elarn to get your head around the controls, you find Flower is an amazing experience. Just give it another go as you said, hope you enjoy it.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
Maybe you wouldn't hate it, if you didn't suck at it. Which you clearly do.

The sixaxis controls are PERFECTLY implemented in this game (for a change) It may take a level or two to get use to them, but it isn't a bad thing.

One-Shot

Master Guru
Aug 5, 2007
Georgia
I agree I wish I had the option because fact is sixaxis is very poor hardware. I would not go with saying flower is unplayable, but having to roll your controller around everywhere does distract from the "relaxation".

bayster

Master Poster
Dec 30, 2005
I am I the only one who thinks it would suck to use sticks. Imagine playing flow for example with sticks it would be so easy and wouldn't have the same feel. The sixaxis is just part of the game you can't take that away.

Although I suppose hey could give the option but I honestly believe your not getting the full experience by using them.

Also it could easily be controller, one of my controllers is screwed up and makes it incredibly difficult, it does everything sharply and jerky. Take kz2 sniper for example it taunted me.

Get used to it would be recommendation and didn't you know it was sixaxis only before you bought it?

theaface

Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2009
I can't imagine playing Flower with analogue sticks over the Sixaxis. They wouldn't be nearly as good as conveying that sense of sweeping, plunging, soaring, and swaying in the wind that the Sixaxis does so well in this game. I can't speak for how the Sixaxis works in other titles, as I've not played too many that use it, and I can imagine that it's used in a gimmicky fashion at times, but that's certainly not the use for Flower. I think it all fits together superbly.