Report: Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant coming to Xbox One

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
It looks like Xbox One is getting voice control support from third-party devices, such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.

That's according to a new report from the reliable Windows Central, which includes a screenshot of the new feature:

Of course, Xbox One launched with voice control built in - accessible via Kinect (which, at that point, came as an inescapable part of any Xbox One purchase). But when Microsoft pivoted away from Kinect, it quietly removed much of the device's voice control capabilities from the console's dashboard.

Some of this has returned with the introduction of Windows bot Cortana, but of course without Kinect attached you still need a headset or microphone of some kind. Support for third-party living room devices like Alexa therefore makes sense for Microsoft, even if Google and Amazon might traditionally be considered its rivals.
Sounds like something Microsoft would announce at their E3 press conference.

H

Hedon

Everyone was worried about Kinect "listening" and "sharing", so . assume that is the same with this? Not sure how Alexa became so popular in homes when it "listens".

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I dont' know about Alexa, but i might be able to get behind something like Google, with Google Duplex

If i could get the console to do useless stuff like behind the scenes it'd be sweet. You could squeeze in a few more mins into a game session... just need google to hook up with a google wallet and a "Google pay my bills" bit and we're looking at some really serious time saving :geek: