Resident Evil 2 looks genuinely amazing, 91% "universal acclaim" on Metacritic

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
From what I've seen of the 1-shot demo, I think this game looks genuinely amazing. This is more or less how I envisioned the game would look if it were remade on more powerful, current-gen consoles like the PS4, PS4 Pro etc. A dark and moody atmosphere with a clean visual style. Impressive damage modeling, such as gunshots to different parts of the head leaving unique bloody wounds, or how a shotgun blast to the chest tears a zombie in two. The story cutscenes teased look different from what I remember of the original but not in a bad way. It also looks like you will have to burn zombies to truly get rid of them; a feature from Resident Evil (GameCube/HD).

It currently has a 91% (based on 71 critic reviews) on Metacritic. PSU gave it a 9.5/10.

In many ways, Capcom has achieved the near-impossible with the remake of Resident Evil 2. It’s a remarkable labour of design, iteration, faithfulness, and adaptation; a masterclass in knowing what to change, how to change it, and what to build upon. Sure, there are some slight niggles and design choices that perhaps long-time fans won’t appreciate but there’s no denying that Capcom has been bold in its design philosophy and has exuded a confidence and consistency in its execution throughout. The biggest compliment that can be levelled is how the game manages to elicit the same sense of dread and consequence that made the original a classic whilst injecting just enough complexity and modern sensibility to see it emerge from its namesake’s shadow with consummate ease.
https://www.psu.com/reviews/ps4-resident-evil-2-remake/ (link needs to be fixed on Metacritic)

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
What do you think? Better than Resident Evil 7?
Resident Evil 7 did a great job at scaring the hell out of me. Resident Evil 2 did a great job with the puzzles and needing to find items required to continue. Along with that it has it's jump scares and interesting story.

With that said I think I Resident Evil 7 is my favorite in the series. I loved the first person feel, the atmosphere and the story. Resident Evil 2 remake was awesome though. I am on my 2nd run now and I love how both runs are different. It really feels like 2 games.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Something I think is interesting is how they decided to make multiple references to Resident Evil 1.5 with the remake. DYKGaming goes into great detail about it in a new video. We might also see a remake of Resident Evil 3.

And if anyone wondered what the remake would look like with the series' traditional fixed camera angles:

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Resident Evil 7 did a great job at scaring the hell out of me. Resident Evil 2 did a great job with the puzzles and needing to find items required to continue. Along with that it has it's jump scares and interesting story.

With that said I think I Resident Evil 7 is my favorite in the series. I loved the first person feel, the atmosphere and the story. Resident Evil 2 remake was awesome though. I am on my 2nd run now and I love how both runs are different. It really feels like 2 games.
You never played the original?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Hmm, gotcha. I thought perhaps you have not because you said it feels like two different games. It looked like you were experiencing that as a first - I misread.
Ya just saying they did a good job making RE2 feel like 2 games instead of the same game with a different character.