Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster coming to PS4 & PS3

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
http://www.psu.com/news/26877/Resident-Evil-Zero-HD-Remaster-coming-to-PS4-+-PS3

Well, it looks as if we here at PlayStation Universe are psychics after all as Capcom has announced that Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster will be coming to PS4 and PS3 in early 2016.

Fresh off the reveal that Capcom would be focusing on remasters of its back catalogue more aggressively in the future due to the unbridled commercial and critical success of Resident Evil HD Remaster in late January, Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster looks set to continue the uptrend in the venerable horror series' fortune which has seen it re-emerge into the gaming spotlight following the success of two titles since the beginning of 2015.

Originally released exclusively on the GameCube back in 2002, Resident Evil Zero was met with a divisive reaction from many gamers unaccustomed to the two-player/item-dropping system the game presented for the first time. Nevertheless, given the success of Resident Evil's high-definition makeover you can bet that PSU is looking forward to trying it out once again.

No price point has been forthcoming just yet but one could presume it'll follow a similar $19.99 tag just like its immediate successor did. We expect more details to arrive at this year's E3 in mid-June.
Not unexpected but welcome methinks. What say you?

Teetie

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
Was Zero the one on a train?
Well I'm generally cool with the HD remasters. Although they really need to do RE2 next, that's often seen as the best in the series.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Teetie, post: 6447942]Was Zero the one on a train?
Well I'm generally cool with the HD remasters. Although they really need to do RE2 next, that's often seen as the best in the series.[/QUOTE]

So many people want a RE2 remake why the hell have they not produced one yet, was the best in the series IMO!

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Teetie, post: 6447942]Was Zero the one on a train?
Well I'm generally cool with the HD remasters. Although they really need to do RE2 next, that's often seen as the best in the series.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it was.

Question open to the floor:

There's undoubted interest for a remake of Resident Evil 2, (myself included) but would you trust current Capcom with such a classic?

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Shockwave, post: 6447945]Yep, it was.

There's undoubted interest for a remake of Resident Evil 2, (myself included) but would you trust current Capcom with such a classic?[/QUOTE]

They didn't do too bad a job with Resident Evil 1 remake so I guess they can't fuck this one up surely......

Teetie

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
[QUOTE="Shockwave, post: 6447945]Yep, it was.

There's undoubted interest for a remake of Resident Evil 2, (myself included) but would you trust current Capcom with such a classic?[/QUOTE]

Yes, It's the sort of game where a remake would just meant a graphical and technical update. There's no real reason that I could see for them changing anything else about the game.
Of course, if they chose to try and remake it in RE4 format, then there's room for them to bugger (yay, a word that isn't censored) it up. But if they stick with the original mechanics, it'd be quite hard to do it badly.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6447947]They didn't do too bad a job with Resident Evil 1 remake so I guess they can't $#@! this one up surely......[/QUOTE]

That's an easy, relatively pain-free transition, though. Upgrading a few assets and what not, nothing too strenuous really. Capcom in 2002 was a different beast compared to now and entrusting them with a project as sacred as remaking Resident Evil 2, a task that'd take a mammoth amount of effort to realize compared to Resident Evil 1/Zero, is a little dodgy.

I don't want them to screw up what's arguably my favorite game. :/

Teetie

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6447951]RE4 was the best son, wtf are you talking about!?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Although I like RE2 and RE4 about equally. All I meant was the more they change, the more potential that their current lack of game dev talent has an effect.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Zero was a great game. They need to put both remasters on a single physical format.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
4 wasn't the best imo, it was the genesis of the clusterfuck train wreck that the IP is today. There's a reason why the remaster has sold so well, people prefer the old school RE experience.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6448084]4 wasn't the best imo, it was the genesis of the clusterfuck train wreck that the IP is today. There's a reason why the remaster has sold so well, people prefer the old school RE experience.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]They haven't sold as well as 4,5,6. 4 was fine, the rest were not.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6448084]4 wasn't the best imo, it was the genesis of the clusterfuck train wreck that the IP is today. There's a reason why the remaster has sold so well, people prefer the old school RE experience.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. That Los Plagas virus, I believe it was called, just ruined the gameplay of typical zombie fun. 4 was a good game but I wished they would have kept the original premIse and just improved on it. The things that popped out their head after ruined it for me. Just made the gameplay more annoying.

But I'm with Duff that I would die to see a 2 remake. I loved the dual characters and just the Raccoon City setting and all. Just was an awesome game. Would love to see 3 remade as well because I never got around to it.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="AsterPhoenix, post: 6448190]Yet to play this one is it any good?
Capcom make a Onimusha remaster. Other than that there's too many remasters.[/QUOTE]

It's derided by some of the 'core' fan-base, and it does have its issues, but if you like classic Resident Evil you'll most certainly enjoy it.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I would like to know something, those RE games are disconnected story wise? and there is a timeline for which games comes after another. I only played RE4 and 5, 4 was amazing , but 5 got boring after a few hours.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks Shockwave, those HD remasters gets lots of attention in Turkey, all my friends playing it now, and It is really a good chance for guys like me , that never played that classics before.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
Everything below four is quite different in case you weren't aware! Tank controls, slow, actual horror, etc. I'd say try Resident Evil HD Remaster, it's cheap and amazing!

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
I dont even remember RE2, was that the one with that thing that kept appearing and chasing you?! THAT FUCKED ME UP!!

Nah, re4 rules imo, proper survival action horror

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Shockwave, post: 6448241]Ah, Nemesis. That's number three!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats the fucker! now THAT was some scary shit!

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
Good news for people that never had a Gamecube. I love these two games and especially Zero has one of my all time fav videos and amazing graphics.

We want a serious remake of Resident Evil 2 and Nemesis and why not a Code Veronica too.
These games until Code Veronica were Real survival horror games as I learnt and still know the genre.

Mar 9, 2015
nyc
[QUOTE="Survival Horror, post: 6448248]Good news for people that never had a Gamecube. I love these two games and especially Zero has one of my all time fav videos and amazing graphics.

We want a serious remake of Resident Evil 2 and Nemesis and why not a Code Veronica too.
These games until Code Veronica were Real survival horror games as I learnt and still know the genre.[/QUOTE]

I think RE:2 remake will come eventually. A lot of people lost faith in Capcom but I think this is good for them whether they're milking or not. If they really are doing this for the money , which i'm not mad about , then re:2 is definitely gonna bring in the cash. I'd expect a confirmation by the end of 2016.

So excited for 0 tho , give me my becca!

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
These are the sort of remakes or remasters I really like to see. Stuff from two gens ago. Remasters from last gen are going to be hit or miss. Hit if you never played last gen or would love to play the game again otherwise.....blah. But stuff from gamecube or PS2.....there are a ton of franchises there that have just been lost in time. It is a good thing that these older games are given new life cuz for a lot of gamers the HD version will be the first time they have played it. And not like publishers are cracking out the new AAA games. And the success of Resident Evil HD pretty much guarantees more to come from Capcom and others, imo.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, they basically said HD remakes will be a part of their strategy moving forward. RE2 is almost a given now.

Sent from my GT-I9000

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6448253]These are the sort of remakes or remasters I really like to see. Stuff from two gens ago. Remasters from last gen are going to be hit or miss. Hit if you never played last gen or would love to play the game again otherwise.....blah. But stuff from gamecube or PS2.....there are a ton of franchises there that have just been lost in time. It is a good thing that these older games are given new life cuz for a lot of gamers the HD version will be the first time they have played it. And not like publishers are cracking out the new AAA games. And the success of Resident Evil HD pretty much guarantees more to come from Capcom and others, imo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. I love how they don't even try and hide that they are milking the cow between big releases. Just look at all the remasters that are released like a year after their original release and are sold at full price like the game never released. Tlou, GTA V, FF X|X-2 a remake of a remake Lol. It's great that people get to play them if they missed out but this is just playing on the opportunity since there is no BC anymore. But enough with that rant. Remake or remasters like this are OK by me. Something that is a little more under the radar, released quite a while ago so the polish can help. If they really want to make me happy they can remake/remaster Onimusha!