Resistance 2 or Killzone 2?

jesse1715

Superior Member
Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys,
Since both of these games just became greatest hits I figured I would pick one up which one would you suggest.
Factors:
Single player( how long, quality)
How many people are still playing multiplayer
I havent played either R1 or Kz1 will that matter

Montevista

Forum Elder
Sep 7, 2008
Both games are great, I'd recommend you buy both. But if you had to choose, Killzone 2 is the game you should go with, the quality is better overall.

The single player in KZ2 was superb, the online is great as well but I just didn't find it addictive or even satisfying. Once I became a General I kinda just stopped playing.

Resistance 2 had a good single player campaign, I found the settings more varied when compared to Killzone, the graphics though weren't anything special, except the San Francisco part was breathtaking. There was also more to do in the online part and I'd say it was a more fun experience.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Get both if you can, they're both awesome games.

If you can only get one though, make it Killzone 2. It's the best FPS i've played this generation. Everything is top notch. Single player was amazing, and multiplayer is a lot of fun as well.

Jun 29, 2008
If you had to go with one... tough choice. R2 has an ULTRA sexy campaign, I freaking loved it. Much better than KZ2's although I loved that one as well. I don't know how well MP is for R2 these days but I know KZ2 is still running pretty strong.

Buy KZ2, rent R2. Both sexy.

LiveStock

Apprentice
Feb 25, 2007
www.actsofwarclan.com
If you're looking for single player length, then you have to go with Resistance 2. There is an insane amount of content in that game. If you're looking for multiplayer go with Killzone 2 because the online play beats the crap out of R2. This is just my opinion.

FLASH48

Master Poster
Oct 18, 2006
Get both games they have good single player in each. Only played Resistance 2 online and didn't like it as much as Resistance FOM.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
I have both games, and my personal preference is KZ2 by far. For me, Resistance 2 is just a bit too generic and I don't like the feel of the guns so much. The online for R2 is also a bit disorganized from my experience.

For me, KZ2's unique weight shifting game mechanics sets it apart from other games, which is what I love about KZ2. I've got COD for my arcade shooter fix, so I want something a bit more different.

I OU a Beatn

Superior Member
Jan 17, 2008
Southern PA
If you plan on playing online a lot, go with Killzone 2. The community is still quite large and you'll have no problem whatsoever finding a game with players of your level. Resistance 2 online is pretty much dead. I played about 4 months ago a good bit and it always took me forever to find a game, and when it did, it was with 2 or 3 players on each team out of 30. Terrible.

Both campaigns are good, although I enjoy the Killzone universe more. Not to mention, Killzone 2 is still one of, if not the, best looking game on any console. If you can't make up your mind, Walmart.com is offering a "buy 2 get 1 free" on the PS3 greatest hits, so you could get both of them and then a free game. Not a bad deal at all.

Zswordsman

Dedicated Member
May 1, 2007
Tacoma
Get KZ2, the story is decent. It'll give you a challenging Platinum. and online is great. R2 has an Ok story but they screwed up in MP big time. its so unbalanced with their wannabe COD perks. and it's almost dead in ranked matches. hard to find a core, skirmish match.

ddPLaNeT

Forum Elder
Apr 7, 2008
Montreal
Killzone 2 if you ask me. I just love this game for many reasons. Resistance 2 is actually awesome too and i will probably get it since it's Greatest Hits now but Killzone 2 is just that good and a lot of people play it online so you wont have problems finding people to play with. The game is alive and kicking.

If you get Killzone 2, get the new maps too, they're sick !

Apr 7, 2010
Other than the plot(which you can read on wiki) you don't really need to play the first ones. However, I enjoyed the SP in R1 much more than R2. I find more games online right now for R1 than R2. KZ2's online is strong right now.

R2's campaign is definetely much longer than KZ2's. However; I think KZ2's campaign has much more replay value. I found R2's campaign really boring compared to the first, and KZ2's much more engaging by far. You definetly get immersed in KZ2's atmosphere more than R2. KZ2 just screams quality, a must have for any PS3 owner. Truely showcasing the PS3's ability. R2...meh at best.

I would seriously consider picking up R1 instead of R2.

Just my opinion though. Maybe rent them, or watch some gameplay videos?

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
Argh!!. I love both game!.

Resistance 2: In my opinion, you do have to play through the first one to understand what's really going on and get familiar with the main protagonist. It will make much more of an impact throughout the end. It left me speechless. If you're more interested in the series, you can buy the comic series that are worth the read which take place before the events of Resistance 2.

Single player is decent but it's extremely linear. You'll be able to get through it easy with the obvious paths you need to take, and the bosses are meh-ish. Also the story telling theme should of been the same as, Resistance: Fall of Man. Although for the multiplayer, it's worth the play!. There are still a lot of members playing through it to this day actually!.

Killzone 2: Storyline was good, ending was just epic!. Should of focused on just sev, that and he shouldn't be talking. I love them silent protagonists! =D

Multiplayer is amazing compared to, Resistance 2. Me and my brother love it and the community is great also(Not idea obviously since you might get the typical a-hole).

If I have to recommend a game. I'd say, Killzone 2 over Resistance 2 by a small margin(That's because I'm a huge fan of the Resistance series). This is just my semi-unbiased input on them.

Mar 28, 2010
If possible, get both. If not, then I would recommend Killzone 2.

While Resistance 2's story was intriguing the single player campaign was mildly bland, only highpoints being the Grim sections and bosses. The game's mechanics felt dated and the guns soon lost their novelty. The game is still very enjoyable, my opinion is that Insomiac could have made a much stronger effort with it's development. R2's multiplayer is regrettably dying off rather quickly and if you're a trophy hunter then this will annoy the crap outta you!

KZ2 is a complete reversal. Everything from the graphics, the audio and the gameplay is grade-A astonishing! The mechanics feel weighty and realistic, the lighting and particle effects is surpassed only by Uncharted 2 and it's atmoshpere is second to no other FPS. The story however, is quite frankly sh*t. I wasn't impressed by the British-sounding space Nazis and I felt it had too few set pieces to make the single player campaign truly memorable. If you don't feel that story is crtical to the game then KZ2 is the one for you. It's multiplayer is going from strength to strength and it offers something different to COD's XP farming experience.

All in all they are both recommended buys even if my opinion leans a lot towards KZ2. :lol:

roy8846

Dedicated Member
Oct 14, 2009
WOLVES UK
Without a doubt KILLZONE 2!!! R2 just felt meh to me , very generic and also graphically poor imo.

Killzone was amazing , I hardly ever finish games but couldnt stop playing.
And online is fun as well

Mar 23, 2010
Killzone 2 was one of the most enjoyable FPSs that i've played and the graphics are breathtaking with a great mutlplayer too. Imo its a must buy for PS3 FPS fans. Cant comment on R2 haven't got it yet.

Jan 17, 2006
Newmarket, Toronto, Ontario
Let me put it like this: The only thing that I like about Resistance 2 is the co-op part. I did not really like singleplayer much, and competitive is not very good because maps are just crap for the most part.
So if you want co-op that is fun until you have to shoot some enemies for like 3 minutes straight, Resistance 2 is the choice.

Other than that, Killzone all the way.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
i own both games also and they are awesome some people say Resistance 2 is not
as good as fall of man but both are great if i was you buy killzone 2 frist
then after a while buy Resistance 2

Go Killzone 2, Best Maps I ever played, a lot of strategy possibilities, I play for quite a while and im still discovering new ways to use the maps. I don't know exactly how to explain how they're better than most of FPS. But once you play a lot of them, you'll just feel it.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
I prefer Killzone 2
Resitance does have offline splitscreen and online splitscreen co-op and competitive
and story probably resitance but online play by itself I choose Killzone 2 it seems more hooking then resitance 2 plus graphics are really nice

Dec 9, 2008
Killzone 2. Playing resistance 2 if you have played resistance 1 is massively disappointing. Poor graphics, poor story and rubbish physics.

You don't need to have played Killzone 1 on the PS2 to understand Killzone 2 and it is a well engineered game with stunning graphics (to say the least)